RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

clam

Mar 24, 2002, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Recovery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, here's the situation. I am an older climber - on the upper end of middle age. Love climbing and plan to climb until I'm 65 - even if it's only 4th class stuff! I have a full time job and my question is about recovery after climbing. I read something about taking in 1 gram of carbohydrate per pound of your weight and 1/4 gram of protein per pound of your weight in the 20 to 60 minutes after you stop climbing (or exercising); I think the article said that's when the muscles are screamng for glycogen. Not easy to get them all. So the question, does anyone have any advice on what would help the recovery process after and between climbs? Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: clam on 2002-03-24 11:36 ]

rockjunky

Mar 24, 2002, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most Researchers will agree that the most important time to rehydrate and replenish glycogen storage is within the first 30 minutes after exercise. A great way is to drink a sport drink i.e. Gatorade and eat a snack. Many people eat health bars but many don't realize that it takes so long to digest. There are great products like Powerbar GU that is absorbed quickly. PB and J sandwiches are also a great snack. They are high in protein and Carbs. I wouldn't worry so much about counting grams of Protein and Carbs as I would be just making sure you get a small snack you like. Also you can ice after a hard workout. It reduces swelling which allows the body to heal the damaged muscles and tendonds quicker. Warmdown properly and gently stretching are also great ways to make sure you recover quicker. Another great key to recovery is sleep. Many people neglect this area and in all truth getting to bed before midnight and sleeping eight hours is a great way to feel fresh. Many researchers believe that for every hour of sleep you get before midnight is eqivalent to 2 hours of sleep after. I am a scientists but once being an elite athlete I have had many experts tell me that. If you can afford massages they are also a great way to relieve toxins that increase recovery time.

Sorry this is so long but continue to rock on
rockjunky

sonofspork

Mar 24, 2002, 9:58 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was watching Outdoor Life Network on TV the other day and they were talking about this very same subject. The guy who was hosting it said that a good thing to eat is those tubes of goo energy snacks. He said that those have about the right amount of carbohydrates and protein to get the glycogen to your muscles in those 40 minutes after working out.

-sONofSpORk

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook