RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ponyryan

Apr 14, 2002, 9:24 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I wanna get some answers for the sake of my own personal curiosity, nothing more.

I was wondering what is legal to climb and not? I have looked into climbing a bridge pillar (TR from the guard rail) and am confident I can make the climb, but am not sure if it's legal. I also want to chimney two brick pillars at my school, but I'm once again, not sure if that's legal. If anybody has information on that kind of stuff and what makes something no longer legal (for trespassing, criminal mischief, whatever) , send it my way. If it is illegal, what can I get busted for? Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
I'd like to stress, I am just curious. I don't intend to make these climbs. I have just thought about the possibility of them. Curiousity fueled this question, nothing more.

[ This Message was edited by: ponyryan on 2002-04-14 02:27 ]

dizzy

Apr 14, 2002, 11:40 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

Im not sure if im going to be much use here, all depends how different UK law is to USA law. Im studying UK law, so this is all i know.

If we start with the school example because that is a fairly easy one. The school will not be public land/buildings and so you will only be allowed to do things which the owners have given you permission to do. Therefore you must get persmission to climb if thats what you intend to do. I doubt they will give you it because of insurence etc, this means that in effect you are a tresspasser if you climb the chimney.

The bridge is a bit different and i have never come accross an example of this kind. Theoretically (not legally), the bridge is there to allow you to cross a span of land, and so it shouldnt really matter how you cross the bridge. Any offence committed would mean that you were doing something you werent supposed to (like the tresspassing example above), and i cant think of anything. I say try it if you want to but always be careful, but let someone be with you just in case.

later, Dizzy.

crackaddict

Apr 14, 2002, 2:26 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only experiences I have had are.
Once we were on a jumping off a bridge doing some rope swings when a sheriff came by and just told us we needed to take our gear down and not to loiter on the bridge. He basically just gave us a warning. Usually there are signs on bridges that state no loitering. But not on this one.
I have never been told to get off of buildings before. But I have always done them at night. I think that owners don't like it because they don't want to be liable if you get hurt. Same reason they post signs for no skateboard, bicycles, or rollerblades on buildings.
I think if someone catches you there might be some harrassment invoved.
Dont know if this helps.
Just wanted to give my 2cents.

ponyryan

Apr 14, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so far. For clarification: The school I attend is a public university. The building would then (in theory) be publicly owned. The campus has no curfew, and the building next to this one has 24 hour access to all of it's rooms. I don't know if this will have any bearing, but should help clarify things.

findaway

Apr 14, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I can say is thet I have a friend who was arrested for climbing the sign on Wal-Mart. He was charged with trespassing and mischief, it's no big deal, where not talkin' jail time or anything. This happened in Canada but I'll bet the consequences are about the same in the States. BTW to this day my friend maintains that the heel hook on the "A" was worth it. Still it is a good way to get in s#%t, especially if you live with your parents.

miagi

Apr 15, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, from my experiences I can tell you that if your wanting to climb a wall or any other public facility, they probably will not let you do it. One of the reasons that im aware of (not related to climbing) is that if your on someones property that is not protected by matters of fencing and such, they facility can be blamed if you are hurt. I know that since I have a pool, that we must fence it, because if someone breaks in and drowns, they can sue us. This world is crazy and I couldnt believe what I heard.

There are online sources that tell you which places are restricted, but for buildering, most of it is illegal if you do not have permission. Sometimes ive climbed illegally on an old stone bridge pillar, but I usually just stick to the public climbing areas.

radistrad

Apr 15, 2002, 12:49 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a wall at Stanford university, people climb on it all the time (at least the last time I checked, a year or two ago).
I say go for it, if they tell you no, then you have lost nothing, if they say nothing then you have gained.

yossarian

Apr 15, 2002, 1:03 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you are talking about the brick towers at the University of Washington. People have done it before and some have been caught. Just pick the right time of day and be quick about it. I think there is even some bolts about 20ft. down from the top.

blacksamba

Apr 15, 2002, 2:39 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Legality? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if it looks looks really awesome and you dont own it it's probably illegal

I climbed some layback corners and air vents at my school and got busted by the custodial crew, they werent too happy, but no cops

So unless you get express permission from the owner it's no go, and if its public property you cant use the excuse you own own it b/c the property is maintained by some person given authority over it and you would have to go through them.

usually its not worth the hassle, so just do it at night and have a good spotter/lookout, and try not to use any gear as it increases visability and get away time

slink like an evil ninja in the dark, like a cat with worms...(a prize for who can tell me where that's from.)

ben

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook