RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

blurrybelaybabe

Jun 16, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Finally!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After having ACL reconstruction and severe miniscus repair surgery in February I spent a very very NICE 3 hours top roping at my gym Monday. Still incredibly sore today since my muscles havn't been worked in what feels like forever. I go to see the doctor and of course won't admit that i climbed and he will tell all right everything looks good continue PT and don't climb. :roll: :wink:
Purpose of this post is to tell all who might go through the same thing i did. Climb when you think you can! Just be smart about it and of course wear a brace. Be safe and lay off bouldering. top roping is the best that way when you fall you won't deck (good belayer you trust implicilty is required). Good luck to all. :-)

slablizard

Jun 16, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Re: Finally!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you! Welcome back climbing! Just been at Sunrise to buy new slippers. LS Flash

pneumoped

Jun 16, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear you are back and climbing. I too had a similar experience.

I hit a tree while snowboarding over the New Year holiday. Never thought it would happen to me. I completely tore my MCL right off the bone, partially tore my PCL and sprained my ACL along with bone bruising and a bunch of other more minor things I can not pronounce.

Fortunately, I did not need surgery. The MCL heals very nicely on its own since it is surrounded by lots of fleshy tissue which supply blood for healing. The PCL is still giving me a little soreness and the Dr. says it could be like that for a year.

However, I was back at the rock gym within 6 weeks and after a lot of intense PT. By May I led Kor Ingalls on Castleton Tower (my first desert tower lead). Now, I no longer feel I need my brace for climbing. I still wear it when I do the very rigorous PT exercises. I'm also back to triathlon racing with no pain.

I will have to live with a slightly looser knee joint, but I can't really tell.

I think the most helpful part of my recovery was the aggressive PT that my Dr. and trainer put me through. And thank goodness for medical insurance.

Climb ON!

pneumoped

narb

Jun 16, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
After having ACL reconstruction and severe miniscus repair surgery in February I spent a very very NICE 3 hours top roping at my gym Monday. Purpose of this post is to tell all who might go through the same thing i did. Climb when you think you can!

Hey blurry, congrats! I'm glad I read your post because I've been kind of scared about getting back to climbing. I feel good now, but I did something to tweak the hell out of my lower back a few weeks ago and it was such debilitating pain that I've been really afraid to climb again because I didn't want to take a fall and wind up tweaking my back again. I've had tons of knee injuries and other ailments, so I can take pain, but this back pain was almost unbearable! Vallium and stretching got me through it. Anyway, you've inspired me to get out there. Thanks! And congrats!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook