First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

*thriller*
Deleted

Sep 20, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #1 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Rattlesnake Point Rockfall Accident - Sept 19/04
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There was an accident involving rockfall at Rattlesnake Point in Milton, Ontario this morning (Sept 19/04). A climber was leaning over tying his shoes up when a rock came down and struck him in the back of the head. He was not wearing his helmet at the time.

My girlfriend and I arrived at the scene about 10 minutes after the incident and friends of the victim had already started to stop the bleeding. My girlfriend, with first aid training, helped the friends with the victim while i tried to help by directing the Paramedics and the Milton fire department who arrived shortly. It took 2 hours to get him stabilized and carried up to a waiting helicopter to take him to hospital. From what I saw and heard, he was conscious and stable and had lost a bit of blood, but it looked like he was going to be alright, though I don't know his personally and don't know any more details of his current condition.

I just wanted to post this to remind us all that accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. Even at places with access as quick and straightforward as rattlesnake point, when things go wrong, help can be far away. Be careful, be aware, and please wear your helmet.

My heart goes out to this climber, his friends, and his family.

-Ian

uwmeghan

Sep 20, 2004, 2:15 PM
Post #2 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rattlesnake Point Rockfall Accident - Sept 19/04 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm the afore mentioned girl friend, and ended up holding the victims head as he seizured, and gurgled blood. This wasn't somebody I knew and I didn't even know his name for several minutes after I stabilized his head and neck. It wasn't my climbing partner, but just someone at the crag. Those people are the climber's best chance at survival and recovery. It just takes way too long for EMS to get to the scene and to be functional once they get there. And this was an easy access crag, literaly a couple of minutes on a well marked wide trail, a set of stairs, and a couple of minutes down the cliffs edge. Despite the easy access, it took over two hours to get the victim out.

I'm thankful I was a lifeguard and that I knew how to react to stabilize and help a victim in that situation, and I was very very surprised by the general lack of knowledge on how to do this. When I approached the victim he was choking on his own blood, and something as simple as an inline body roll made a world of difference. This was something many of the other people in his party weren't willing to do, for fear of his possible neck and spinal injuries. Those fears are valid, but it is important to realize how things can be done safely, and what the priorities are.

I guess the one thing I want to add is that it really could be any of us. The possibility of rock fall is something we have likely all considered, but have you considered what you could and would do to help someone else in that situation? Do you know how to stabalize a head and neck to prevent further damage to the spinal cord? Do you know how to do rescue breathing, cpr, splint broken bones, etc? These are all things where climbers have to be able to help climbers.

I hope the young man is recovering well in the hospital and that he continues to climb.

-Meghan

killclimbz

Sep 20, 2004, 2:39 PM
Post #3 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice work Meghan.

bishop

Sep 20, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #4 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My thoughts go out to the victim.

Does anyone else know any more information? How is he doing now?

Nice work Meghan

hendo

Sep 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #5 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope he's doing all right.

I'm curious, however, about where the accident occurred. Which route was it near and does anyone know how the rock came off? Was it dislodged by someone on the cliff top or just fall off by chance?

David

ctish

Sep 21, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #6 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am thankful you both were there to help this climber. Thank you

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family and friends . I wish for him a complete recovery and many more days of climbing.

ctish

nikegirl

Sep 21, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #7 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Goddess bless you both.

Hope for a full recovery of the climber.

If anything is heard please keep this community posted.
I think of things like this all the time, and still wonder how someone is doing after the fact.

~T

*thriller*
Deleted

Sep 21, 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #8 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This ariticle is taken from the Milton Canadian Champion:

Climber seriously injured after being struck by rock

Sep 21, 2004

A Toronto man sustained life-threatening injuries after a bowling ball-sized rock landed on his head at Rattlesnake Point Conservation Area Sunday.
The 32-year-old man was on the ground with a group of rock climbers and rappelers when, for an unknown reason, he removed his helmet. Just after 10 a.m. a rock dislodged from the cliff towering over him and fell about 70 feet, striking his head and rendering him unconscious.

It took emergency crews an hour-and-a-half to remove the man from the scene due to the precarious nature of the terrain and the seriousness of his injuries.

The man -- whose name's being withheld at his family's request -- was taken to Hamilton General Hospital by air ambulance where he underwent surgery for serious head injuries. At press time, he was listed in critical but stable condition.

Halton Regional Police said no foul play is suspected.

Police are reminding the public to use proper safety equipment at all times.

"Anytime you're involved in that type of activity, it's important to ensure all personal protective devices are worn or used -- that's the emphasis in this tragedy," Det. Sgt. Don Cousens said.

The article can be found here: http://www.haltonsearch.com/...21148p-2573932c.html

Seeing his condition at the scene, I was really afraid that he wasn't going to make it, but I don't know all that much about these things. I'm really glad to hear that it looks like he's going to pull through. If anyone personally knows the guy send him our best wished for a full recovery and keep us up to date on his condition.

-Ian

k1srfr

Sep 21, 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #9 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How did the rock become dislodged? A fellow climber? Tourist? Bad luck? Anyone know?

krillen

Sep 21, 2004, 2:41 PM
Post #10 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More than likely a hiker or kid at the top. I've nearly been hit with something launched fromt the top everytime I'm out there. What is it with people? Usually the rock fall is done by fall, especially since Rattlesnake is the most overclimbed place in Ontario, most of it is removed well before September.

Was he near the south end with the rock retaining wall at the top (near the steel steps)? If so, the rock may be from the wall itself.

wings

Sep 21, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #11 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
More than likely a hiker or kid at the top.

Please stop right there. It is irresponsible to make assumptions such as this (even though you did back off a bit on this statement on your second paragraph). There are plenty of large, loose rocks on the wall at Rattlesnake.

Sounds like he's out of immediate danger, hopefully he will start recovering. Strength to him and his family and friends.

- Seyil

usmc_2tothetop

Sep 21, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #12 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On that note I'm now wearing my helmet on the approach.

jumpingrock

Sep 22, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #13 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was @ Rattlesnake about 3 months ago and while I was setting up to climb I heard something fall about 20 ft to my left. I thought it was a rock but it turned out to be a baby racoon. I left it to it's own devices, but the next time I was there I didn't find racoon bones every where. Another reason to wear a helmet around rattlesnake.

Kudos to you Meghan for being knowledgeable enough to take care of this situation. A quick question if you don't mind. An inline roll is simply a roll into the recovery position while keeping the head and neck stable and in line with the spinal cord correct? These people should have understood that the ability to breath is a little more important than the ability to feel your toes. It's a tough choice and I am glad you knew what you needed to do.

darkside

Sep 22, 2004, 10:30 AM
Post #14 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Update on Accident: Rattlesnake Point's superintendant from Conservation Halton just confirmed that there was a serious accident that took place at Rattlesnake on the weekend. A 28 year old male student (1 of 6) in a climbing school course. Apparently he sat down and took off his helmet (against instructions) just as another group was rappelling nearby. A rock was dislodged and hit him in the head fracturing his scull.

It took paramedics over an hour to stabilize him (he stopped breathing during this period) before he could be airlifted to Hamilton Hospital. He was operated on on Sunday. He remains in very critical condition.

This update is provided by Conservation Halton courtesy of the Toronto section of the Alpine Club of Canada. The update was sent to me yesterday (Tuesday 21st).

On behalf of the Access Commitee, I wish him a full and speedy recovery.
Climb safe and have fun.

cam

Sep 22, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #15 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sligtly off topic but I believe its related. In recent years I have noticed an increas of people throwing debris off cliff tops. Perhaps I have merely become more aware of the occurance rather than the occurance becoming more frequent but its alarming just the same.

Many, many timea I have been belaying or climbing when something has been heaved over the edge. A little yelling and some carefully chosen but to-the-point words usually deters the culprit from further launchings but it only takes one to hit someone. Has anyone else noted any increase of this sort of act?

bishop

Sep 22, 2004, 4:55 PM
Post #16 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sligtly off topic but I believe its related. In recent years I have noticed an increas of people throwing debris off cliff tops. Perhaps I have merely become more aware of the occurance rather than the occurance becoming more frequent but its alarming just the same.

Many, many timea I have been belaying or climbing when something has been heaved over the edge. A little yelling and some carefully chosen but to-the-point words usually deters the culprit from further launchings but it only takes one to hit someone. Has anyone else noted any increase of this sort of act?

Last season Hoppinbig and I were sitting on the shoreline 200ft below the main lookout of Bon Echo waiting for our ride when a softball sized rock landed about five feet from Hoppin. After standing up and turning around we noticed two more rocks launched in our direction.

In reply to:
A little yelling and some carefully chosen but to-the-point words usually deters the culprit from further launchings
.... this worked but we still got the hell out of dodge.

Partner missedyno

Sep 22, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #17 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the update grant - wishes of a speedy recovery to the victim.

prufrock

Sep 23, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #18 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the paper exaggerating, or was the rock really bowling ball size?

I would never have guessed that one could survive a rock that big hitting the back of the head from 70'.

Hope he gets better. And to think I didn't use to own a helmet...

geezergecko

Sep 23, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #19 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose you could survive being glanced by a 5 pin bowling ball size rock. A straight on hit with a 10 pin ball would most certainly do you in. If it was a school group, one would think that someone would have been on his case when he took his helmet off. A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.

roboclimber

Sep 23, 2004, 2:40 PM
Post #20 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not think surviving is the issue. I have seen people survive some pretty tremendous head injuries, but in every instance that I have personally witnessed, they were left with severe functional deficits. If this guy took a blow from a bowling ball sized rock, 70' up, I pray that he beats the odds and walks away with nothing but a few stitches.

krillen

Sep 24, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #21 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
More than likely a hiker or kid at the top.

Please stop right there. It is irresponsible to make assumptions such as this (even though you did back off a bit on this statement on your second paragraph). There are plenty of large, loose rocks on the wall at Rattlesnake.

Sounds like he's out of immediate danger, hopefully he will start recovering. Strength to him and his family and friends.

- Seyil

It's an assumption based on years of experience with this exact thing happening. I can't count how many people I've seen or told off after they have launched rock, debris, sticks, LOGS, whatever they can get their hands on over the edge with gleeful ignornace to the consequences. I'm not saying they intended to hurt anybody, but I stand by my Educated Guess that is was thrown, and never fessed up to.

Rattlesnake is so overclimbed there IS loose rock anymore.

geezergecko

Sep 24, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #22 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who woulda thought, hey? Thousands of climbers must have pulled on the jug at the top of Revenge for the Fires at Metcalfe but when my 190 lbs. grabbed for it in desperation, it came off and just missed my belayer. This limestone, she breaks!

sa

Sep 24, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #23 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure this is relevant but... the first time I ever got laid was at Rattlesnake Point. It was more fun than getting bonked on the head by a rock.
A long time ago... and far, far away.

uwmeghan

Sep 27, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #24 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quick update for everyone. I spoke to the victim's best friend over the weekend and got an update. He asked me to share it on the site, and thank everyone for their concern and caring attitude.

He is in the hospital, conscious and speaking, even joking a bit! :), and able to move his right side of the body quite well. His left side is weak, but they don't think that the spinal cord was injured, although the vertebrae up in the neck region were crushed. Much of his skull, about half, was removed to reduce pressure on his brain, There is a lot of swelling in the brain from the impact of the rock. It's still a serious situation, but there are many positives to focus on. He's expected to be in the hospital for about three months from the injury, lots of time will be needed for rehabilitation. He's expected to get out of ICU this week. The extent of his recovery is still somewhat to be determined, once the swelling has reduced in the brain the medical staff will be able to more accurately assess what the starting point will be. He's doing remarkably well though considering about a week ago he had stopped breathing.

To answer the question about an inline roll. The basic concept I'm sure you are familiar with: roll a person without moving or stressing their spine. In the case of a spinal injury you don't want to have any motion in the spine to try and avoid damaging a vulnerable spinal cord, and risks of paralysis. Not all these risks can be taken away obviously, there are many factors, ie the injury itself, that you can't control. What I'm trying to say is that if people can minimize the risks that can be controlled in an accident, the lasting effects of the accident can be minimized. Their head should be completely immobilized, or held "inline" as we said in lifeguarding. To do this on land (I can tell you how to do it in water if you are interested too, but it doesn't seem so relevant here. ;) ) you do it from the top of the head and essentially hold the shoulders and squeeze the head inline with your arms. Then you will need to have other people help you roll the victim together, so that the shoulder, the hips, the legs, all pivot with the head. The person holding the head should generally take the lead. Once the head is taken control of and inline, don't let go!!! Don't use this as "I know exactly what to do now and am a prostar" but let it make you think about what you don't know how to do and maybe what you could learn. There's lots of courses out there from CPR to basic first aid to wilderness rescue courses, to climbing rescue courses. I would rather know how to do this sort of thing and never have had to use it, then to not know it. I really want to learn more though, because there's lots and lots of factors I wouldn't know how to react to.

~Meghan

krillen

Sep 27, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #25 of 27 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Who woulda thought, hey? Thousands of climbers must have pulled on the jug at the top of Revenge for the Fires at Metcalfe but when my 190 lbs. grabbed for it in desperation, it came off and just missed my belayer. This limestone, she breaks!

And did you yell "Rock"? Did anyone yell "Rock" for this guy? If not then it was probably a non-climber.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook