RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

wigglestick

Jun 12, 2002, 2:01 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Replacing the Sheaths on Screamers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a rather silly question regarding screamers. I have a half dozen or so screamers and I have lost the black, stretchy, sheath that covers the body of the screamer on about 3-4 of them. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what to use to replace this sheath or some other method for keeping my screamers from flopping around unsheathed. I thought about rubber bands but I think they will just get lost like the original sheaths. Then I considered duct tape but thought that might hinder the screamers ability to absorb the energy of a fall. Any thoughts on this?

traddad

Jun 12, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Replacing the Sheaths on Screamers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rubber Bands. Not too tight though. Or how 'bout scotch tape....basically anything that will either open up or rip easily. I'd worry about wrapping duct tape around more than once, although the actuation force (Kn) might be high enough to make that a moot point.
I'm no engineer, although I play one at work.

Traddad

Partner tim

Jun 12, 2002, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, Yates now makes those Shorty screamers that are basically sheathed in Plasti-Dip... or something like it.

Personally I'd be leaning towards electrical tape because it is stretchy and weak, so the "wings" could still fly out under load. I've still never managed to rip a screamer more than a few stitches down -- I guess I kind of think light thoughts when I fall on a Screamer

wallhammer

Jun 12, 2002, 2:35 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the new shoty yates screamers have heat shrink around them, this might be an idea. my suggestion would be to call yates and ask for some. alot of times on small stuff like that they comp em. if not, im sure they cant cost much.

punk

Jun 19, 2002, 8:09 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The stretchy thing is basically Lycra base fabric my suggestion get a Xsmall stocking and cut the desirable length and put it on…Now that remind me something…nevermind…with the rest if the stocking you can make a hat it is very poplar in the Hood’s/Projects …Yo, wasupp homey…

passthepitonspete

Jun 26, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gads, I've got the most beat-up semi-deployed threads-hanging-out rack of screamers you've ever seen!

You can tell the ones I've tried to stick back together - they have a thin wrap of duct tape around them.

But I like the idea of a tight rubber band.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook