RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

roadman33

Jan 18, 2005, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Toe Warts HELP!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK I need HELP do any of you know or have warts on your feet. I know some of you must, or at least know climbers that do. I've got a wart on my left big toe that I've been fighting for 2 years now.

I've had it hacked off, then I've even taken to cutting it down my self and using acid at home.

What has worked for you?

As far as climbing goes it's been very painful at times, but now I'm not even climbing at all. I used a little rubber sox over it and that helped but I couldn't think of anything else. Any ideas for ways to help would be great.

Or any Doc's that you've heard of that are really good at this stuff I'm willing to go whereever I have to or pay anything.

Thanks

blueeyedclimber

Jan 18, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #2 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Re: Toe Warts HELP!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Youv've got guts, asking a bunch of strangers instead of a liscenced doctor.

My advice is to see a dermatologist. They will probably use liquid nitrogen. It hurts like hell, but it works. I had one when I was a teenager and this is what they did.

Josh

tico

Jan 18, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as for most problems, the solution here is duct tape. keep the wart covered in duct tape for a week or two. It has worked for me and friends of mine.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030201/tips/8.html

ladylayback

Jan 18, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #4 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blueeyedclimber is right. I had done what it sounds like you are doing to your wart for YEARS. I finally sucked it up and went to my doctor. He froze it off with liquid nitrogen. I had to go back for a total of 3 rounds of it, but it did work. I'm still wart free years later. The over the counter stuff only works for really small warts, if at all. See a doctor, all will be well.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

import_temporary [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

import_temporary

kaylinr

Jan 18, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had one near my wrist on top of my arm for years. I finally went and bought one of the cheap freeze off kits from the store. It didn't do jack after 4 treatments. Then I stumbled onto a method that works.

Load down your pack with every piece of climbing gear you own, even if you don't normally use it. Throw in you rappeling rack for a day of sport climbing (you never know!). Then put one arm through the shoulder strap of the overweighted pack. Grunt and groan as you hoist the pack onto your back while putting your second arm through the opposite shoulder strap. If you have successfully put enough gear into your pack, the second strap will catch on the wart on your arm, and tear it halfway off. After some profuse bleeding, and a 2 week period, the wart will disappear.

Anyway, this worked for me. Not sure it will help on your toes though. Could try put on your shoes really really fast.

climbing_grl

Jan 18, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #7 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the greatest invention ever method....the DUCT TAPE.
Put it on the wart during the day...then at night soak it a little in warm water and get a pumice stone (like a rough stone you can find at CVS) and file it down a little each night. You may want to take a nail clipper to cut some of the edges around it off.
In about 2 - 3 weeks, it will probably be gone.
I had one on my finger that I did this with and now there is just a little bit of tough skin there....which is much better than when I had one removed from my pinky toe and the hole in my foot kept me out of climbing shoes for about a month.
Good luck fellow toads.
:o

esljunkie34

Jan 18, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #8 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha... ewww that is SO gross... :lol:

go see a doctor. it's the most sure fire way.

Partner cracklover

Jan 18, 2005, 7:30 PM
Post #9 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the over the counter stuff works. works better if you cover it with a band-aid (or duct tape if you prefer). But it can take six months! If you don't have the patience, go get it frozen off.

GO

climberterp

Jan 18, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #10 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to third (or fourth) the duct tape suggestion. I've used it successfully on several warts (takes a few weeks for me), and there's actual research to back it up. I don't have a link but if you google 'warts duct tape' you'll find some articles about it. Basically they found that duct tape was more effective than the OTC stuff or liquid nitrogen.

gotta love duct tape!

vegastradguy

Jan 18, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #11 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a wart when i was a kid that nothing worked on. the doc eventually had to use the laser to get rid of it.

that said, i have heard of duct tape working on warts.....maybe its worth a try.

crotch

Jan 19, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #12 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since noone has mentioned duct tape..... you might want to give that a try.

din

Jan 19, 2005, 9:41 AM
Post #13 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any ideas for ways to help would be great.
Thanks

keep your feet away from your genitals.

Partner tyify

Jan 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #14 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

tyify moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tyify moved this thread from General to Injuries & Accidents.

cbare

Jan 25, 2005, 7:51 AM
Post #15 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunatly, warts are very resistant to treatment. Warts are caused by a group of viruses known as papilloma viruses. Several sub-types are known to cause warts. Removal of the wart may not be curative as the virus still remains in the body, thus the wart can grow back. Warts typically last months to years and in many occasions will eventually go away on their own. Plantar warts (foot warts) can be especially bothersome as they can grow over pressure areas and cause discomfort with activity. Allot of people have remidies that they swear by and certanly treatment such as acid, liquid nitrogen, C02 Laser removal, and surgical excision are commonly used to remove the warts. People have also used duct tape with good results. However, warts can grow back at any time and years after they were last removed. It really depends on the individual, some people can remove the wart and it will never return while others have a life long battle with warts. If you continue to have problems you may consider padding the area with a material like mole skin. I find this helps distribute pressure away from the tender area. I also recommend follow up with health provider especially someone with a specialty in dermatology as they will have access to the latest treatments and research regarding therapy and current knowledge. Hope this helps, cbare.

rhaj

Feb 11, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #16 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roadman -- YES! -- I know exactly what you're going through. I fought a wart like that which eventually covered about half of a smaller toe . . .and spread to the adjacent toe. For a year I tried duct tape, cryo (freezing), exacto knife, salicylic acid, pumice stone, and various combinations. I finally saw a doc after only being able to wear sandals for two months. By then the wart was wrapping around the toenail (periungual -- VERY resistant to treatment). The doc (family practitioner) pulled out a bottle of Cantharidin (aka "beetle juice"), covered the wart, and bandaged it. It isn't painful on application -- but it WILL start to burn about 1/2 hour later. It's pretty painful for a few days (ask for pain meds). Cantharidin causes a chemical burn (blistering) in the upper skin layers where the wart lives -- and the result looks like a second degree burn. The skin will be tender as it heals, but no scarring. As the doc figured, I lost the toenail . . . AND the wart. I was back to climbing within about 10 days. That was six months ago, no recurrence, no scarring, no pain, and the toenail is gradually growing back. Hope this helps.

karina

Feb 11, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #17 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd recommend oregano oil. It's quite the miracle cure for many things. I don't have experience with it for toe warts but I'm pretty sure it could do the trick. It's expensive: about $50 CDN for a tiny bottle, but worth every penny. Must be the real stuff though. Lots of fakes out there. This is the brand that I'd recommend:
www.oreganol.com
You'll need to apply it regularly and for a while. Maybe get those little round band-aids and put a few drops on the gauze.
If you find it somewhere in a brand that's cheaper, there's probably a good reason for it and it might not work as well.
Good luck.

bandycoot

Feb 11, 2005, 8:07 PM
Post #18 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must be really lucky. I had a few warts as I grew up and Compound W worked every time. Sounds like they can be quite a problem. Best of luck!!!

Josh

the_pirate

Feb 11, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #19 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had one on the palm of my hand. (evidently it's not an urban myth). I tried snipping it a few times and using compound w, but it always came back after a few months. I realized that the problem was that the roots were still there. So I softened it uf for a few days with one of the medicated pad thingies and busted out the exacto knife. Stuck about a third of the length of the blade into my palm and proceeded to core the fucker out.

It takes tremendous self resolve to cut yourself that deeply.

I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Hasn't returned in 4 years (knock wood). Since then I've performed this proceedure on 2 other people and it didn't hurt me nearly as much.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 11, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #20 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahhhh i dont have warts (knock on wood) but now i need to go wash my hands and feet with lotsa soap and water...

pjphel

Feb 11, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #21 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all
For those interested: as was mentioned, warts are caused by viruses that inhabit the outer layer of your skin. They can only make copies of themselves when your skin cells are dividing. So the virus makes your skin cells divide like crazy. That's why you get the big bump.

As many of you observed, they can be hard to get rid of. Skin is designed to be a barrier, keeping things out, but also keeping you inside yourself. For this reason, your immune system doesn't really have good access to the outer layers of your skin and its hard for your body to fight these guys off. When you apply mild acids (don't go dousing yourself with really really noxious liquids, they won't do any better than OTC things) or duct tape(for weeks), you disrupt a little patch of your skin and allow fluids (those who have used the duct tape method know that the wart area gets really spongy) to carry your immune system components to the infected cells. This is a great place to start, particularily if your wart isn't huge already. It's cheap and effective, while causing minimal pain and suffering. It's going to take time though.

If your warts are huge or methods such as these don't work though, you'll probably want to think about going to your doctor or a dermatologist. Cutting into them yourself is not a great idea. Wart are INFECTIOUS. Now, don't worry that just because you have a wart that they will soon be all over your body (they need a break in the skin to infect). But climbers have lots of scrapes on their hands (some that you can see and plenty too small to see) and its probably best not to go getting wart juice all over them. Definately DON'T pick at them with your fingernails. That can get ugly.

take care
P

Partner csgambill

Feb 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #22 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF you really want to get rid of those pesky warts, you have to burn them off. It's a sure-fire way to fix your problem. (ha, sure-fire, burn) But seriously, warts are caused by a virus. I wouldn't recommend using a lighter or anything that will give you a 2nd degree burn. The trick is to heat up the wart as hot as possible for as long as possible. This will cause the proteins in the virus to denaturate (fall apart) and the wart will go away like magic. It take a couple of weeks of persistant treatment, but I guarantee you it will work.

ahenman

Feb 15, 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #23 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the problem with warts is that your body doesn't recognise that they are there so your immune system wont fight it. Using Nitrogen is a quick fix but there is a good chance that they will come back (just ask my girl friend). Using something like Cantharidin (aka beetle juice), as it burns, parts of the wart get into the system apparently which then allerts the immune system and they are able to then attack the wart and then each wart after that as it is now able to recognise the intrusion into the body. Can take up to a couple of months or a couple of days, depends, but it does work. Note, you can't get the area wet for about a week at a time till you get it rebandaged so be prepared for one hell of a stinky foot

roadman33

Mar 30, 2005, 6:56 AM
Post #24 of 24 (8802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that no one's going to read this old post any more, but man I gota tell ya, I've had the ducktape on my toe for a few weeks now. It F---ing rocks, and it's made my toe look like a toe again.

So if you ever have a bad wart, USE DUCKTAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook