Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

USnavy

Apr 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #1 of 95 (17696 views)
Shortcut

Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I remember reading an article by the AAI saying that they do not recommend using the bowline to tie in with. They went on to say that there is a variation of the bowline that offers the security advantages of the figure eight with the untying advantages of the bowline. But I cannot find a photo of the knot, or the actual name of the knot.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 12, 2012, 1:01 PM)

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 95 (17682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Figure eight version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I remember reading an article by the AAI saying that they do not recommend using the bowline to tie in with. They went on to say that there is a figure eight version of the bowline that offers the security advantages of the figure eight with the untying advantages of the bowline. But I cannot find a photo of the knot, or the actual name of the knot.

Figure eight version of the bowline.

In what sense?

I suspect this is going to get some interesting responses.

USnavy

Apr 12, 2012, 1:00 PM
Post #3 of 95 (17666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Figure eight version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
USnavy wrote:
I remember reading an article by the AAI saying that they do not recommend using the bowline to tie in with. They went on to say that there is a figure eight version of the bowline that offers the security advantages of the figure eight with the untying advantages of the bowline. But I cannot find a photo of the knot, or the actual name of the knot.

In what sense?

Well it was not necessary a figure eight bowline. Rather, it was a variation of the bowline that provided the security of the figure eight, or so the article claimed. The AAI went on about how the variation was the only acceptable way to tie in using the bowline, or something to that extent.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 12, 2012, 1:01 PM)

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2012, 1:15 PM
Post #4 of 95 (17649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you mean a double bowline? That's the standard when it comes to using the bowline when tying in.

The only variations I've seen in the knot is where people tie their backup knots.

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #5 of 95 (17640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Figure eight version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
USnavy wrote:

In what sense?

Well it was not necessary a figure eight bowline. Rather, it was a variation of the bowline that provided the security of the figure eight, or so the article claimed. The AAI went on about how the variation was the only acceptable way to tie in using the bowline, or something to that extent.

My guess would be this:

Ties like a bowline but leave lots of extra and then rethread, conceptually like you would rethread a figure eight. Functionally it's the same knot as a bowline-on-a-bight.

Here's some discussion about it (http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2514726#2514726) and there was an active thread about it not too long ago but I can't find it.

amarius

Apr 12, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #6 of 95 (17616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think that this is the answer you were looking for, but worth taking a look anyways
An Analysis of Bowlines

lena_chita

Apr 12, 2012, 2:08 PM
Post #7 of 95 (17602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re-threaded double bowline (by re-threaded I mean that the end of the rope goes back through the harness again) finished with double fisherman.

This link has the picture of re-threaded single bowline (scroll down the page to "harness knots"), but the backup knot is not shown): http://www.kong.it/lexis02.htm In a sense, this is the same as bowline on a bight, just like double figure 8 is the same knot as figure 8 on a bight:

You can also do a "yosemite finish" to the bowline (re-thread it without going through the harness the second time, so the rope end ends us sticking up from the knot, not down, and then finish up with the double fisherman. Scroll down to yosemite bowline, again, double fisherman finish not shown.
http://blank005.tripod.com/camping/howtoknots.html

lena_chita

Apr 12, 2012, 2:10 PM
Post #8 of 95 (17600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Figure eight version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
My guess would be this:

Ties like a bowline but leave lots of extra and then rethread, conceptually like you would rethread a figure eight. Functionally it's the same knot as a bowline-on-a-bight.

Yes. And a better picture than the one I linked.

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #9 of 95 (17592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Re-threaded double bowline (by re-threaded I mean that the end of the rope goes back through the harness again) finished with double fisherman.

This link has the picture of re-threaded single bowline (scroll down the page to "harness knots"), but the backup knot is not shown): http://www.kong.it/lexis02.htm In a sense, this is the same as bowline on a bight, just like double figure 8 is the same knot as figure 8 on a bight:

You can also do a "yosemite finish" to the bowline (re-thread it without going through the harness the second time, so the rope end ends us sticking up from the knot, not down, and then finish up with the double fisherman. Scroll down to yosemite bowline, again, double fisherman finish not shown.

The terminology surrounding the bowline is very confusing.

I understand a double bowline to be this:

Which has two coils around the finishing bight.

Whereas the bowline on a bight/rethreaded bowline is this:
Which has two loops around the "anchor", whatever that is.

I can only imagine that a rethreaded double bowline would have two loops around the "anchor" with four coils around the bight - something I have never seen.

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #10 of 95 (17588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Figure eight version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
My guess would be this:
[image]http://www.mountainproject.com/images/66/2/107476602_large_5a7402.jpg[/image]

Yes. And a better picture than the one I linked.

Ok.Smile

lena_chita

Apr 12, 2012, 2:25 PM
Post #11 of 95 (17579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

The terminology surrounding the bowline is very confusing.

I understand a double bowline to be this:

Which has two coils around the finishing bight.

Whereas the bowline on a bight/rethreaded bowline is this:
Which has two loops around the "anchor", whatever that is.

I can only imagine that a rethreaded double bowline would have two loops around the "anchor" with four coils around the bight - something I have never seen.

When I re-thread the rope through the harness, after tying the double bowline, and come back to the knot, I do not trace the entire knot again, I just put the rope back through the "loop" part, and then tie double fisherman, so there are no 4 coils around the bight. Technically it shouldn't be called re-threaded, because the knot itself is just double bowline, the "re-thread" part is through the harness.

I need to tie it and take a picture, I guess.

Marylandclimber

Apr 12, 2012, 3:25 PM
Post #12 of 95 (17540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just tie a figure eight people! You can't get any better!

LostinMaine

Apr 12, 2012, 4:28 PM
Post #13 of 95 (17503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Just tie a figure eight people! You can't get any better!

Until you fall on it and can't get it undone. Why the resistance to a rethreaded bowline? Once I shifted to it, I never understood why it didn't catch on.

jamesnater

Apr 12, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #14 of 95 (17486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never NOT been able to untie a figure eight. I can't really describe it through text, but it's super easy, even after a huge whipper.

I've even had to undo friend's knots for them, showing them how, now they too have no problem untying figure eights after big falls, and after being super pumped too.

It takes like 4 steps that takes less than 5 seconds to loosen the knot, then it's just a matter of untying.

(This post was edited by jamesnater on Apr 12, 2012, 4:48 PM)

csproul

Apr 12, 2012, 4:54 PM
Post #15 of 95 (17474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Knot (un)tying advice from the guy that brought you this:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...6;page=unread#unread

You'll forgive me if I take the advice with a grain of salt? But just in case, please post your method for super-easy figure 8 untying, I'd love to learn something new.

(This post was edited by csproul on Apr 12, 2012, 4:55 PM)

bearbreeder

Apr 12, 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #16 of 95 (17461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

to untie the 8 just do a yos finish ... and then twist the knot in yr hands until strands work themselves loose

sharma uses an 8 ... he falls more than anyone else here

what people use is their own choice .. but its a fallacy to say you cant untie one after falling

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #17 of 95 (17447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
I've never NOT been able to untie a figure eight. I can't really describe it through text, but it's super easy, even after a huge whipper.

I've even had to undo friend's knots for them, showing them how, now they too have no problem untying figure eights after big falls, and after being super pumped too.

It takes like 4 steps that takes less than 5 seconds to loosen the knot, then it's just a matter of untying.

Does your 4 step program look like this?

healyje

Apr 12, 2012, 5:33 PM
Post #18 of 95 (17434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I do - have never used a figure 8 outside of visiting gyms that require them. To be blunt figure 8s are more a lowest common denominator deal and suck as an actual tie in knot.

(This post was edited by healyje on Apr 12, 2012, 5:37 PM)

MFC

Apr 12, 2012, 5:41 PM
Post #19 of 95 (17425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A bowline with a Yosemite finish incorporates a "figure 8" into the knot.

I have attached an illustration from the "Ontario Rock Climbing Assoc. - Safety Manual" clearly showing the 8 incorporated into the finishing knot.

They show the knot being tied with a bowline on a bight but the knot is tied identically if tying only a regular bowline with this finish.

Is this possibly what you were looking for?

(This post was edited by MFC on Apr 12, 2012, 6:03 PM)
Attachments: bowline using an 8.jpg (41.3 KB)

shockabuku

Apr 12, 2012, 5:54 PM
Post #20 of 95 (17409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MFC] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MFC wrote:
A bowline with a Yosemite finish incorporates a "figure 8" into the knot.

I have attached an illustrtaion from the "Ontario Rock Climbing Assoc. - Safety Manual" clearly showing the 8 incorporated into the finishing knot.

They show the knot being tied with a bowline on a bight but the knot is tied identically if tying only a regular bowline with this finish.

Is this possibly what you were looking for?

Good grief - that's a bulky knot.

healyje

Apr 12, 2012, 6:20 PM
Post #21 of 95 (17386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MFC] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bowline with a yos finish - can't think of a worse possible knot than this - the worst of both worlds. Why bother with tying a bowline if you are then going to obfuscate / confuse the visual appearance of the knot with that finish. I'd rather use a figure 8 than a bowline with a yos finish and I really dislike the figure 8.

csproul

Apr 12, 2012, 6:36 PM
Post #22 of 95 (17375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
[image]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/6299Figure_Eight_4.JPG[/image]

What I do - have never used a figure 8 outside of visiting gyms that require them. To be blunt figure 8s are more a lowest common denominator deal and suck as an actual tie in knot.
Is that the same knot that was posted up-thread by shockabuku?

csproul

Apr 12, 2012, 6:49 PM
Post #23 of 95 (17359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
to untie the 8 just do a yos finish ... and then twist the knot in yr hands until strands work themselves loose

sharma uses an 8 ... he falls more than anyone else here

what people use is their own choice .. but its a fallacy to say you cant untie one after falling
I suppose if I had Sharma's strength, I could easily untie any knot too...but alas, I am weak and untying my knot after a big fall is more difficult with an 8. Besisdes, he probably has a swarm of groupies waiting to untie his knot for him!

It is also rope dependent. Some ropes with different dry coatings/diameters/stiffness are just harder to untie. Bottom line is I don't really care what Sharma/Croft/Bachar does or does not do. I'm not them and I know from personal experience that a figure 8 can be very difficult to untie and that a bowline is not.

(This post was edited by csproul on Apr 12, 2012, 6:53 PM)

bearbreeder

Apr 12, 2012, 7:14 PM
Post #24 of 95 (17342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
I suppose if I had Sharma's strength, I could easily untie any knot too...but alas, I am weak and untying my knot after a big fall is more difficult with an 8. Besisdes, he probably has a swarm of groupies waiting to untie his knot for him!

It is also rope dependent. Some ropes with different dry coatings/diameters/stiffness are just harder to untie. Bottom line is I don't really care what Sharma/Croft/Bachar does or does not do. I'm not them and I know from personal experience that a figure 8 can be very difficult to untie and that a bowline is not.

the bottom line is that plenty of people use fig 8s just fine ... and fall on em ... and untie em ...

what you use is up to you ... but then RCers tend to think that their way is the ONLY way ... everything else sucks

Tongue

csproul

Apr 12, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #25 of 95 (17328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Figure eight/ alternate version of the bowline? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
csproul wrote:

the bottom line is that plenty of people use fig 8s just fine ... and fall on em ... and untie em ...

what you use is up to you ... but then RCers tend to think that their way is the ONLY way ... everything else sucks

Tongue
Nobody is saying it is the ONLY way (at least I'm not). Anyone can safely use either knot, and they can most likely untie either knot. But my personal experience and that of countless other climbers has shown me that one is more difficult to untie than the other after significant load. I just don't see how that can be argued. Now, whether you find that desirable/advantageous is an entirely different matter.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook