Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ufdigga

Feb 18, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #1 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

where are all the helmets?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been looking at tons of pics on this site, and I'm suprised by the absense of helmets in most of the sport-climbing pics. I know they're not the coolest thing in the world, but it seems like it would be one of those "mandatory" pieces of climbing gear...

speedywon

Feb 18, 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #2 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Re: where are all the helmets? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with you. I enjoy having a good head on my shoulders. :wink:

tchamber

Feb 18, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #3 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. This topic has been discussed to DEATH here, please never bring it up again.

2. You're an idiot. Climbing helmets don't do a lot to protect from impact into the rock, they are primarily for deflecting dropped gear/rock from above.

3. If you're really concerned about it, wear a bike or motorcycle or snowboarding helmet, as these are designed to protect your head from impact into solid objects.

Jackass.

jeremy11

Feb 18, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #4 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the belay system (meaning rope, anchors, belayer, protection, etc) is the most important part of the climbing system. DUH, that is what keeps you from hitting the ground. So a helmet is much less important than having the right gear and know-how in these areas.
HOWEVER, I got a helmet this fall and use it regularly, not usually for toprope, but for leading it is nice since there is the risk of a swinging fall or upside-down fall, along with rockfall, hitting ledges, etc.
Jeremy

this is a huge guess, but I would assume that most major accidents are from errors in the belay system, resulting in a groundfall or otherwise traumatic impact. BUT the helmet does offer a greater margin of safety, and a good helmet isnt uncomfortable, who cares if it isnt cool

petsfed

Feb 18, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #5 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

furthermore
search

Its your friend.

guangzhou

Feb 18, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #6 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Helmets don't do much to protect you" I can not believe that someone would actually write that comment. Idiot.

crackrn

Feb 18, 2005, 1:01 AM
Post #7 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

dirtineye

Feb 18, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #8 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Helmets don't do much to protect you" I can not believe that someone would actually write that comment. Idiot.

Something we agree on.

Know This you helmet bashers (no pun inteneded):

IT does not take a very hard blow to the head to ruin your day. Screw whether the helment will withstand high impact, you want to test your helmet theory? take a hammer, put your helmet on your head, whack your self mildly on the head with the hammer, see how it feels. Remove helmet, whack with hammer again. Repeat as necessary. Report back with your conclusions.

crackmd

Feb 18, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #9 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to bash you because you bring up a good point. Helmets are not "cool" and are not considered "mainstream". If Chris Sharma, Steph Davis, Tommy Caldwell, Alex Huber etc. were pictured in the mags consistently pushing limits of what is thought to be possible while wearing helmets then I doubt this helmet bashing would persist. Since climbers/people in general are a fickle bunch I imagine that if the rockstars set this precedent then you would in fact see more people on this site pictured wearing helmets.

jt512

Feb 18, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #10 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not going to bash you because you bring up a good point. Helmets are not "cool" and are not considered "mainstream". If Chris Sharma, Steph Davis, Tommy Caldwell, Alex Huber etc. were pictured in the mags consistently pushing limits of what is thought to be possible while wearing helmets then I doubt this helmet bashing would persist. Since climbers/people in general are a fickle bunch I imagine that if the rockstars set this precedent then you would in fact see more people on this site pictured wearing helmets.

On the other hand, they don't wear them and don't seem to get any head injuries. You think they might know something?

-Jay

speedywon

Feb 18, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #11 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you climb enough times in a year, you'll see someone (accidentally) dislodge a rock. If you climb for enough years, you'll eventually get hit by one of those.

Think about it, consider the risks and their consequences. Then consider the step to prevent most of them. From here, the choice is yours.

The only persuasive comment I'll make on this subject is that I would never climb a multi-pitch route with someone not wearing a brain bucket. Simply put, if you want to risk killing yourself great, but you're no use to me on belay if your dead/unconscious from a blow to the head.

crackrn

Feb 18, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #12 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1. This topic has been discussed to DEATH here, please never bring it up again.

2. You're an idiot. Climbing helmets don't do a lot to protect from impact into the rock, they are primarily for deflecting dropped gear/rock from above...

Jackass.

Kind of harsh reply to someone with only 5 posts. They probably haven't been around long enough to learn the "culture" on this website which sets the imperative, "DO A SEARCH!" before posting. Could be a troll, could be a new person who just got his a$$ handed to him for asking an innocent question. Nice welcome.

Besides, he didn't say anything about wearing them for one particular reason or another, his question was to wearing helmets in general.

If you are so annoyed by beginner questions, maybe you should stay out of the beginner forum.

alderak

Feb 18, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #13 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll see me sporting a helmet in my profile pic...

and about 80% of the time I am climbing outdoors I am wearing one... to ME it is worth it to haul it around and put up with some extra heat just incase someday I do encounter some rockfall... Until then, I'll just wear it for all the cool ninja turtles stickers.

It probably won't do me any good if I have a big leader fall, but then again, it isn't going to hurt anything, now is it?

livingtheedge

Feb 18, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #14 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You think they might know something?

Do you wear a seatbelt while driving? You never know when the $h!t is gonna hit the fan.

jt512

Feb 18, 2005, 1:42 AM
Post #15 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been looking at tons of pics on this site, and I'm suprised by the absense of helmets in most of the sport-climbing pics. I know they're not the coolest thing in the world, but it seems like it would be one of those "mandatory" pieces of climbing gear...

Although I do not wear a helmet while sport climbing, and I would never discourage anyone from doing so, I do not see it as a "mandatory" piece of equipment, and I have yet to suggest to a partner that I was teaching that s/he get a helmet. I sport climb on a regular basis in areas of frequent, at times seemingly constant, rock fall. I've avoided being hit a thousand times by paying attention, and a few times by being lucky while not paying attention. Rather than teach "wear a helmet," I teach "don't anchor in while sport belaying on the ground," "don't belay directly beneath your partner," "look up while belaying," and "it is mandatory to yell 'Rock!, Rock!, Rock!' if you dislodge rock or see rock coming down."

The other risk a helmet might reduce is head injury caused by flipping over in a lead fall and smacking your head on the rock. However, flipping over in a lead fall is almost completely avoidable by not stepping in front of the rope and by being ready to grab the rope near your knot if you start to roll over backwards. Furthermore, most climbing helmets are not designed to protect your head in the event you hit it while falling.

So, you can avoid almost all the risk of head injury with skill, but a helmet will always add a layer of insurance.

-Jay

kalcario

Feb 18, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #16 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*If you climb enough times in a year, you'll see someone (accidentally) dislodge a rock. If you climb for enough years, you'll eventually get hit by one of those.*

Better yet, never stand in the fall zone underneath someone.

Or, wear a helmet and stand in the fall zone. Your call.

skidawg

Feb 18, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #17 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This might be bold of me to say since most of you have been a part of this site much longer than I have, but seriously...some of you need to take it easy (I've been seeing a lot of responding posts similar to this lately). If you have a problem with the post, then either politely refer the person who posted the question to the search feature, or just don't post anything and let the question fall off the imidiate list of recent posts. I agree that it has been discussed a lot, but nonetheless when it comes to protection of any sort, it's better to be safe than sorry.
with respect,
skidawg
oh yeah, forgot to mention...I wear a helmet because like some others have mentioned, the inconvenience isn't worth the risk (at least in my opinion). Chances are you'll do fine without one, but it's all to easy for something to go wrong, so I would recommend one.

padge

Feb 18, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #18 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's too easy to be seriously injured by a head impact. I have three friends who are no longer the same person they were before their head injuries. Although two were cycling and one was snowboarding is it really worth the chance? Maybe because i've recently become a father I feel the risks are not worth the minor inconvience.

bvb

Feb 18, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #19 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've got a purple helmet, but i've been thinking about switching to a brown derby.

jt512

Feb 18, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's too easy to be seriously injured by a head impact. I have three friends who are no longer the same person they were before their head injuries. Although two were cycling and one was snowboarding is it really worth the chance?

Again, not suggesting that anyone not wear a helmet, but climbing isn't cycling or snowboarding. If you fall cycling or snowboarding you fly headfirst into whatever is in front of you. If you fall while climbing, if you know what you are doing, you fall feet first. Furthermore, I say again, most climbing helmets offer little protection in a fall.

-Jay

kpj240789

Feb 18, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #21 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What suprises me is the lack of spelling in the forums. There is no absense of helmets but an absence.

tallnik

Feb 18, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #22 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Again, not suggesting that anyone not wear a helmet, but climbing isn't cycling or snowboarding. If you fall cycling or snowboarding you fly headfirst into whatever is in front of you. If you fall while climbing, if you what you are doing, you fall feet first. Furthermore, I say again, most climbing helmets offer little protection in a fall.

-Jay

Mhmm.... Falling while cycling and/or snowboarding does not require head first falls. Anyways, for those of you concerned about head impact in a fall, get a helmet like the Petzl Elios. Like someone else said, I won't climb multi-pitch with anyone not wearing one. Why? Lots of messed up rescue factors, and if a helmet can avoid a rescue, then that justifies it right there. That being said, there are plenty of times when I don't wear a helmet:
- Top roping in an area with little to no rockfall
- single pitch sport climbing in an area with little to no rock fall

All I know is that a helmet is a lot cooler than a coma, cheaper than a coma, and a simple thing to wear.

Cheers,
Nik

petsfed

Feb 18, 2005, 2:50 AM
Post #23 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This might be bold of me to say since most of you have been a part of this site much longer than I have, but seriously...some of you need to take it easy (I've been seeing a lot of responding posts similar to this lately). If you have a problem with the post, then either politely refer the person who posted the question to the search feature, or just don't post anything and let the question fall off the imidiate list of recent posts. I agree that it has been discussed a lot, but nonetheless when it comes to protection of any sort, it's better to be safe than sorry.
with respect,
skidawg

I suppose its not railing against people failing to search first, its railing against people who look at the pictures without helmets, then immediately assume they're the first to have this "where are the helmets" thought.

There needs to be an intermediate "gosh, i'm certain this has been discussed before" point. This is a stupid question, not because the person should know the answer, but because after the 50th iteration, one should hope it need not be asked again.

/has participated considerably in at least 4 helmet threads in the past.

jt512

Feb 18, 2005, 2:55 AM
Post #24 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What suprises me is the lack of spelling in the forums. There is no absense of helmets but an absence.

Now Shut the Fuck Up, n00b.

-Jay

glyrocks

Feb 18, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #25 of 57 (9046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha

classic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook