Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kansasclimber

Feb 23, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #1 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Who wants to climb HARD...ER!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Who wants to climb harder and what steps are you taking in order to get to that point where you want to be. Please tell where you currently are (grade), and where you want to get to. And honestly, what grade would you really like to get to at the top of your prime. (realistically)

Stephen

dbrayack

Feb 23, 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who wants to climb HARD...ER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm currently climbing 12b,c at NRG in WV, I'd like to climb 12d or 13a by the end of the season. What I am doing now is climbing a lot and cutting back on my diet, hoping to get as light as possible. I'm running a lot and keeping track of all the food that I eat, so I don't over eat "its my problem". Also, I am bouldering a lot.

bandidopeco

Feb 23, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #3 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

current level - 5.10 Trad, 5.11 Sport with a few 5.12 red points. I'd like to be able to climb 5.12 trad and maybe, hopefully project at least 1 13.

But as is probably true with most, i think my goals will move outwards as my ability grows

neutralcypruss

Feb 23, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #4 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted: Well currently i am falling 5.11c,d have sent 1 ........5.12
climb solid 5.10 d sport outside. lead trad 5.8 i boulder at solid v4
i would love to be a solid leader at the 5.12 level trad and sportand want to boulder up to v7 v8 ohh to dream.... climb on

onsight_endorphines

Feb 23, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #5 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine got me into climbing almost 8 months ago. Right now I consistently lead 5.9 at Reimers, however, I am confident that I could onsight 5.11 or harder if......IF, I could just get over the psychological aspects of falling on lead.

I'm very scared of taking lead falls. It took a lot of effort for me to even get used to TR.....I hate the feeling of a scary fall, it's holding me back bigtime. My intuition tells me, however, that I will be getting over this in the near future. I stopped TR'ing a month ago to accelerate the process ; )

I'd love to sport climb 5.12a by the time this year is over. If I still have the burning desire to climb in 15 years like I do know, I'd say that sport 5.14a and multi-pitch trad isn't out of the question for me someday ; )

kpj240789

Feb 23, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #6 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now 10a is the hardest I've climbed but I am only 13, I hope to be able to climb around 13a someday.

kansasclimber

Feb 23, 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #7 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess its my turn:
I can boulder consistantly at V6, and have done V9, yet it took a while..
I have OS 12, and havent tried anything harder since i live in Kansas its hard to get to the rock to try different routes. But at the same time, its pure motivation to train, so the next time out I can see that i have improved from trip to trip. As of right now, I am training for core strength. I do weighted abs (machine), regular crunches, pull-ups on finger tips and full pull-ups w/ weight. Then I also do bench press, less weight, many reps. I also have been training meantally, on how to get there and what needs to be done in order to climb. my goals: This year- V11, 13a within 5 tries, and consistant onsight of 5.11+,.12a, and V6. I eventually want to boulder V12-13, and do 1 , just one 5.14a. Then, i can die...

Stephen

8flood8

Feb 23, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #8 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have
redpointed 11c sport in austin
onsighted .9 sport in el potrero
i solod a .7 in potrero (on accident)
v2 outdoorr
v4 in the gym
that was last year
this year
i redpointed 2 8's and a 9 in potrero
v2 in the gym
projecting v3's in the gym
i had some down time and i'm on the comeback YO YO!!
ideally i would love to pull a 14 in my lifetime. i would love to boulder v10
hell i want to climb everything.
i love big wall. i want to do some of the lines in potrero that are 25 pitches long of solid 12-13's
i want to expand my climbing to the ends of the earth. i will pull myself as far as i can. i am determined.

edit**
To get stronger i am doing 4x4's working ont he system wall till failure. Doing (i call them regressions -- pullup fully- lock off and hold until complete failure) Traversing; holding each hold for 5 seconds before i make the next move. Not all of this at once, but i definitely have training days where i'm climbing not for fun or to send, just to pump out and work through my pump.

petsfed

Feb 23, 2005, 1:52 AM
Post #9 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lead trad 5.9 pretty consistently don't sport climb enough to really know on that. My end goal is to climb Free Rider, or something similar. Long, middling hard, trad, free. What's really holding me back at the moment is endurance. I can do the moves on most any 5.10 -5.11 climb you throw at me, but I don't have the endurance to hang off of bad holds to place pro. My solution? Lots of traversing in the gym, lots of long routes at lower grades. I do modified 4x4s mostly (climbing or r&i had something about these recently) and saw huge improvements just in the first 2 weeks. Now its the long hard road to good.

As far a sport climbing, it doesn't matter to me. Whatever's fun, numbers are illusory in my world.

abraxas

Feb 23, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #10 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I guess its my turn:
I can boulder consistantly at V6, and have done V9......

at hueco?

hibby11

Feb 23, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #11 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As of right now i'm still rather new to climbing, I can climb 5.10 or so for sport, and lead trad 5.8 cuz i'm not comfortable enough yet. As for improvement i've got a hangboard and go climbing as much as I can, gotta love it when improving consists of doing more of what u love.

vincent

Feb 23, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #12 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i consistently onsight 5.4 ...

i can do the dicey top bunk mantle into my bed at night ...

skecthballer

Feb 23, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #13 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have climbed a few 5.13 sport climbs, 5.11 trad, multiple v9's. i want to
climb more 5.13s 5.12 trad and send v double digit. im doing this by working out and climbing hard.

onacliff

Feb 23, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #14 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what a f---' jerk fest this is.
Agreed...Yeah, I've got goals, but they're for me, and putting out my accomplishments for all of you is beneath anybody. Stop talking about climbing all those things and go do it, none of you are going to get there just spraying like this...
Brian

bubbahotep

Feb 23, 2005, 3:17 AM
Post #15 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm sitting here drinking beer, eating Cheetos and watching "Debbie does Dallas" for the third time tonight. Later, I'll finish off the workout by burnin' one and downing a pint of Ben and Jerry's, followed by some chocolate chip cookies.

What are you laughing at?

I'm a trad climber dammit!

:lol:

Now, get outta my face you anorexic little twerp.

Partner camhead

Feb 23, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #16 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have fallen on sport as low as 5.8.

right now my goal is that black tape route.

oh, and in case no one else has said it...

THIS THREAD IS A GODDAMMNED CIRCLE JERK

bubbahotep

Feb 23, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #17 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Aren't they all?

onsight_endorphines

Feb 23, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #18 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I've got goals, but they're for me, and putting out my accomplishments for all of you is beneath anybody.

I've got goals. They're for me and anybody that asks. I'm not ashamed of them.

In reply to:
...none of you are going to get there just spraying like this...

Perhaps...

EDIT: Added the following...

Camhead: So how do you really feel about it :shock: J/K. Maybe it is man. Either way, I'm not sure if I care.

kriso9tails

Feb 23, 2005, 3:56 AM
Post #19 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure how hard I climb since I'm in the process of getting back in shape. I guess it varies from day to day and with the clour of my mood ring.

I want to be the strongest climber in the world and I have a pretty solid plan on reaching this goal, but it involves a crowbar, a lot of travelling, a little stealth and a lot of strong climbers' kneecaps. Just kidding. I don't have the money for a crowbar (yet).

I also want to climb harder than I am now and hopefully harder than I ever was. My training plan consists pretty much of just climbing.

kansasclimber

Feb 23, 2005, 4:00 AM
Post #20 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OKAY, there are jerks on this site, and i know that, but gezz, dont you have something else to do rather than post on a thread that you say is idiotic, thats kind of contradicting yourself isnt it?? And for anyone that has over 6000 post, you need to get out more and stop typing so much.. Dont like the thread, dont post, thats simple enough isnt it. I guess this probably makes you feel better about yourself though, knowing others will see your reply and feel guilty posting now. What i think is even more funny is that you will check back, see i have written this, and then say some lame "shut up quote" to me where if you thought this post was stupid, you wouldnt be doing so now would you.. Think about that.

Stephen

esallen

Feb 23, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #21 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh mercy . . . I want to go to Zion . . .

Eric

kriso9tails

Feb 23, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #22 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have fallen on sport as low as 5.8.

right now my goal is that black tape route.

oh, and in case no one else has said it...

I would like to point out two things.

i) I have fallen on a 5.7 tr making me both more zen and a better person than you could ever hope to be.

ii) I sent the black tape route so I am more hardcore and a stronger climber than you could ever hope to be.

iii) The circle jerks is an okay band

iv) I don't really understand Roman numerals so I'm not sure if I've passed my two point mark yet or not.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 23, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #23 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think some of the things people have posted here are just a bit off. your goal should be to send a route, not a number. there are many routes i cant do, but the problems and routes i want to do have little to do with the number attatched to them, and are based soley on the quality of climbing they provide.

one climb i am particularly fascinated with is china beach up at waimea. i couldnt ever do it, but would i want to? yes! i dont have the desire to climb it since its 14b tho, id want to do it because it is a spectacular line up one of the most impressive walls in north america. it just seems like quite a few of the people here dont care about the actual climbing, but more about high numbers.

so, to reply to the original question. my goal for the next year or so is to do a problem called over the falls at haycock. fun moves. more longterm goals (wayy longterm) would be two spectacular routes at waimea, silver surfer and tsunami. if u really want to know the grades, whatever look them up, but they are ony my list simply because they look beautiful. actually getting on them and maybe doing them are a different story tho, o well, ill see how it turns out, im ambitious...

sirlancelot

Feb 23, 2005, 5:59 AM
Post #24 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with gunks goer. Who really cares what grade number you can climb at? What matters is being skilled enough to hop on that sweet looking climb that you've had your eye in for a while.

For example, I've got my eye on an awesome overhanging climb named son of easy o in the gunks (5.8). Currently I have only led up to 5.7. My goal by the end of the summer is to be confident enough, good enough, or just don't give a damn anymore so I'm jumping on that climb.

And to make the new/average climber feel better about themself:
I after 2 years am only a solid 5.6 leader. Yes you heard me right, not every climber on this site is 5.10 and above. Maybe I suck, maybe I'm taking it slow. Or just maybe the ratings in the gunks area is stiffer than other places.

fluxus

Feb 23, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #25 of 42 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I'm sitting here drinking beer, eating Cheetos and watching "Debbie does Dallas" for the third time tonight. Later, I'll finish off the workout by burnin' one and downing a pint of Ben and Jerry's, followed by some chocolate chip cookies.

What are you laughing at?

I'm a trad climber dammit!

May the gods of climbing bless you and every route you climb! but with training like that do you really need to climb?

The first post, said something about "in your prime" well my prime is a few years in the past. I'd just like to be able to climb 12 days per month, and every now and then travel to some of my old favorites, Maple, Rifle, the Verdon. . . .sigh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook