Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bc2planker

Feb 22, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Where in the world should we go?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking into going on a holiday/trip in the fall of 2005. I’m planning on traveling for about 3-4 weeks, and I am not sure where I want to go yet. Since it’s a fairly short trip, I need to find a place that is “all-in-one” so to speak. I would like to have some beach time, maybe diving and hopefully do some climbing.

So I am looking for recommendations on where to go… I live in Squamish, BC, Canada, so I’d be flying out of Vancouver. I want someplace warm, has beaches, ocean and climbing. The first place that comes to mind is Thailand, but my girlfriend and I have both climbed there already, so I’d like something different. (Although I would not mind going back to Thailand!)

I would love to see South America, so places like Argentina and Chile are high on my list. Anybody out there have a good suggestion?

wingnut

Feb 22, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where in the world should we go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How bout New Zealand?

they've got climbing, beaches, even skiiing! Also, I don't think climbing in Thailand would be such a good idea in the aftermath of the tsunami and stuff.

kaylinr

Feb 22, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its my understaning that the climbing areas were mostly spared in Thailand. In fact they were cleaned up and begging for tourist within weeks after the waves. These people's existance is based on our patronage, don't be scared away! They're ready for some climbers!

bergo

Feb 22, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ecuador.
Mountains, Rain Forest, Rivers, Volcanos, Galápagos, Beaches. You can do ice climbing, rock climbing, trekking, mountain biking, diving, rafting, some skiing... Everything next to everything. Tourist friendly. All in one country.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 22, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New England is beautiful in the fall and is our best climbing season. It is a little past prime beach season, but there are plenty of warm days in early fall that a swim isn't out of the question. Central NH has good sport (Rumney), good trad (North Conway), and good bouldering (pawtuckaway).

bc2planker

Feb 22, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the quick responses... Ecuador sounds wicked! I forgot to mention another important part of the trip... price!

Keep em coming!

slobmonster

Feb 22, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #7 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about Monterrey?

whatsupdoc

Feb 22, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That time of year I'd say Australia or New Zealand would both be good bets, especially towards the end of our autumn (which is approaching the end of their spring/beginning of summer). They're both expensive however. I don't know what your budget is.

The diving and climbing is probably better in Australia (at least the choices are greater) but it's very spread out and you might need to take a flight within the country to maximize your time there. For example, fly to Melbourne, climb at Arapiles and that area for a couple of weeks. You could then take a quick flight to Cairns and do a live aboard dive cruise or something in the Great Barrier Reef out of Cairns or the Whitsunday Islands, plus hang out at beaches/kayak. I'm sure there's lots of diving down south but I don't know much about it and the best is off the coast of Queensland in the Great Barrier Reef.

New Zealand has awesome diving up North (Bay of Islands and Poor Knights Island come to mind), but if I'm not mistaken the best climbing is on the South Island. Again, that's not all of the dive options but they're the most popular. Someone from there can give you better info I'm sure, especially regarding the climbing. Also kind of spread out but definitely do-able in the time period you have.

Other options to possibly consider: Mexico, Spain, S. Africa.

South America sounds great too but I have no idea what the options are there. I'm sure it's cheaper! Hope it all works out.

jowanky

Feb 22, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

California.

jowanky

Feb 22, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and Croatia maybe?

rockprodigy

Feb 22, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I’m planning on traveling for about 3-4 weeks, ... Since it’s a fairly short trip,...

Oh man, I wish I were Canadian....

fredrogers

Feb 22, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really liked Sardinia...kind of pricey, but spectacular limestone seacliffs, beautiful white sand beaches, amazing food, wine, people...worth the splurge, and in addition to expensive hotels, there IS SOME CAMPING too...awesome place, worth it!

brolloks

Feb 22, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

South America I will ALWAYS recommend to anyone - I lived in Chile for 2 years, and it is beautiful. Good climbing everywhere. Outside Santiago sport and trad. Closest beaches about 1,5 hours by car away. Note that the ocean around here can get cold (my standards, maybe you think different). I have no idea whether it's good for diving or not, but I know that some people scuba around there.
The northern part of Chile apparently has excellent climbing in the Atacama desert - some sport, and endless possibilities if you're into trad. Ocean around here is a little warmer, but do not expect Thailand temperatures......

Check out : www.escalando.cl

South Africa - well, what can I say about my beloved country? Beautiful, and if you go to Cape Town you have EVERYTHING you're looking for right there within half an hour - climbing, beaches, diving, vibrant night life, you name it. How cheap it is - well, it's cheaper if you travel with US (or Canadian, in your case?) currency. "Cheap" is subjective - look up the internet to see if prices take your fancy (stay away from tourist traps, and you'll save).
I have a qualified friend over there who used to do scuba trips and courses - not sure if he still does, but if you're interested I can try to hook you up. Otherwise I am sure there are plenty of charter companies around Cape Town to take you scuba diving.

One note on SA - it is quite safe and the negative publicity is a load of crap (of course only bad news make headlines). If you're going to stay around Cape Town, just make sure which places are "known" as more dangerous - just like in LA and any other big city.
I can seriously recommend SA - beautiful country, friendly people, positive vibe. Only thing that will probably set you back financially is the air ticket price - don't always come to cheap, as it is a long way to go......

Guidance !

overlord

Feb 22, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #14 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

southern europe is good at that time if it doesnt rain.

but id suggest going somewhere on the southern hemisphere. speaking of wich, all pics i have seen of NZ are totoally awesome.

just_me

Feb 22, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For something totally different, try Cuba.

http://cubaclimbing.com/

Good climbing, beaches, diving, rum, dancing, wonderful people, and it's all cheap.

Partner hosh

Feb 22, 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #16 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I hate when I have these problems. I mean, should I spend my massive excess of money on a trip to some exotic location or should I spend all my money on climbing gear... I jsut don't know what to do!!??!?!?!

Just kidding. You have a truely enviable problem. Ever thought about Fiji? there's some climbing there that's unexplored (but I think there may be some local customs that can prohibit climbing), the beaches are pretty friggin sweet and the diving? Forget about it! There's sick scuba diving down there. Incredible colors, lots of fish, coral reefs, wow. I'd say Fiji, I just can't vouch for the climbing.

That's my 2 cents...

Hosh.

blind_wit

Feb 22, 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #17 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definatly go for New Zealand or South America...or if you wanna be cheap about it, take a roadtrip to Summerville West Virginia. There is some sweet deep water soloing, you get the H2O and the climbing in one!

Partner tisar

Feb 23, 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #18 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where in the world should we go?

Hmmm despite there might be some decent climbs in the world, I wouldn't limit myself to such a small area. If you really wanna find some outstanding climbing, you should open your eyes to the rest of our system's planets at least.

While climbing on the Moon due to the low gravity is just for wieners, on Saturn and Jupiter you are in the 5.10ish range just by walking horizontal!
Merkur doesn't provide the proper gravity also but this might be balanced by temperature. Think of a big chalkbag!
A trip to Mars should provide some incredible ice climbing, as science just found out there's enough water. Plus think about the highline action over the channels!

Hope I could help you with your decision!

- Daniel

Partner gamehendge

Feb 23, 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #19 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote is for New Zealand as well. And since you're not too far, I would try to make it to Australia too. Two of the best places I've ever been to.

jcshaggy

Feb 23, 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #20 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had the cash I'd go to Australia or/and Thailand or Namibia(Spitzkop) 8^)

ian_kotze

Feb 23, 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #21 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

S. Africa
Yeah I'm biased, but considering your requirements, there are few places better suited than Cape Town. Ocean, Trad, Sport, Bouldering, Wreck Diving(water a bit chilly, so a decent wetsuit is required). Flight may be a bit expensive, but once you are there it is very reasonable. check www.saclimb.co.za, www.climbing.co.za .

Cheers
Ian

bc2planker

Feb 24, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #22 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions... Australia & New Zeland are both out, because of price, and because Ive already been.

Question for the person that posted about Cuba... is it sport climbing? I normally a trad climber, but it would be nice to not have to haul all the gear down there.

Same question about Equador?

Thanks again everyone.

turtle54

Feb 25, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #23 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Brazil definitely [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Brazil? We have the most beatiful beaches in the world, it's cheaper as hell to americans and europeans. We have lots and lots of good climbing here - both sport and trad. I live in the south - we have lots of good climbing here - conglom, basalt, sandstone, going up to .14 - but we don't have too many good beaches around here, tough there's one with good climbing about 2 hours from my city. In Rio de Janeiro, there's about 3000 routes within the city, and lovelly beaches. In Minas Gerais there's waterfall of 600ft and loads of limestone climbing and boulder.

The northeast has the most beatiful beaches, you can scuba dive by the reefs, eat good food.

Near by (2000miles) is Chile and Argentina (1000 m), which both have good climbing too.

Any info, mail me..

Marcos

kpj240789

Feb 27, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #24 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ecuador

urm0mandme

Feb 27, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

come to czech republic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook