Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
anyone climbing in oklahoma this weekend?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

geosparky

Mar 2, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

anyone climbing in oklahoma this weekend?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all, I am really in need of some rock. Been here in Kansas for a while and need to climb. Is anyone going to the wichitas. If so I can meet you there.

Scott

damon_mcc

Mar 3, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Re: anyone climbing in oklahoma this weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey. I just moved to Oklahoma. Climed on some crap last weekend in sulfer. If you know a good place, let me know. I was thinking about going to Robbers Cave, but never been there. The Wichitas look good online. Have you climed either of theese?

munkee

Mar 3, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you climb around Sulfur? I've driven through there a few times and didn't realize there was anything to climb.

The Witchitas have some good climbing. If it's a nice weekend you may have to hunt a little for a good spot, atleast that's been my experience. I haven't been out that way in a while. The moment I get a weekend free I'll be there.

damon_mcc

Mar 3, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Sulfur climb wasn't good at all. There is a park right in town that has an overlook called Bromide Hill. It was fun, but i would hardly call it climbing. More like playing on rocks. Beat sitting around the house though. There is a place west of town on private property. It was a bit better, but very loose, had to top rope it. I have a friend that works the granite quarry in Mill Creek just south of Sulfur. He says he can get me in there anytime. It may be good face climbing, I dunno. I just moved here from Missouri. There is some great climbing there, but it was hard to find too. I'll just keep on until i can find some good spots here. Patience is not a virtue of mine.

okiebuds

Mar 3, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i know you can find killer sandstone cliffs just south of willberton ok. but alot of it is owned by nat. gas companies so you need to be slick and not be noticed.....but really....arkansas is where you need to be. pm me and i can give you any info you need....
later
rob

geosparky

Mar 3, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed in the wichitas and have enjoyed it. If you have the guide book it is not hard to find climbing areas. I was hoping to go there, but if you have climbed at other locations and know it well I would not mind visiting your home turf. Well I hope that someone would be up to going climb. I have some gear for sport and limited trad, so give me a holler and I will gete back to you.

Scott

leinosaur

Mar 3, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys -

Oklahoma's full of good rock!

Regarding the established areas, check out the routes database right here on rc.com - under "Routes" there on the left of the screen, click on USA for starters and narrow it down from there. There are even some new areas that aren't in any guidebook yet.

If you're headed southwest, though, pick up Oklahoma Select, the new guidebook by Tony Mayse. It covers the Refuge and Quartz "only" - including many good areas for single-pitch and some two-pitch climbs on high-quality granite. Get the book at Backwoods in OKC or Norman, or OKC Rocks, or maybe even at the visitors' center at the Refuge. I'm not sure on the visitor's center though, so call ahead.

For the other areas, you might still find Chuck Lohn's guide at the library . . . it's out of print though so good luck finding it otherwise. It has beta on Robber's Cave and some other areas as well, in addition to the great granite in the southwest.

have fun!

Rob

dawgcatching

Mar 3, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best climbing I did in Oklahoma was near that Air Force base in Soutwest Oklahoma (can't remember the name of the town). A nice 2-pitch granite dome with mostly slab, some sport, and a few cracks. J-Tree like rock. It was fun for a couple of days! I also did some cragging on the Refuge and near Tulsa, but the stuff in Tulsa was very limited, and we got lost in the Refuge and only found a couple of chossy bolted lines.

geosparky

Mar 3, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to sound like an @ss, but this thread was to be about me finding some one who is climbing in oklahoma this weekend. I am aware of the wichitas, eastern limestone and other areas in oklahoma. But I do not want to talk about them I just want to climb before leaving for Iraq. I do appreciate all the good areas to climb, but I have read about them in the routes section and other post. But id reading was what I wanted to do I would search the web for more information. Sorry about my ranting, but I just want to climb. So if anyone WANTS to climb then I am game. And that means in any part of Oklahoma. Thanks and normally I am not a like this but I have not been able to climb for a while and I really just want to do it.

Scott

jaybird2

Mar 3, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geosparky, obviously you aren't privy to the spray factor associated with rc.com. Anyway, TU's outdoor leadership program (outdoor club) is going to Sam's for the weekend (Sat and Sun). I am sure that if you showed up, you could hook up with some people. I am not saying that this is a great idea, but you do sound despirate. A place like Sam's is a great place to bet on things like this because you can always TR solo if you can't find anyone... if you have a auto-locking belay device.

Good luck

muslmutt

Mar 3, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How big is that club? Might be reason enough to go somewhere else. Yeah right like HCR is going to be any less populated. Any way we'll be going to one of the two areas and usually have room for one more. This would probably be a further drive (Arkansas),and just for Sunday. You wanting sport, trad, or top rope?

furrymurry

Mar 4, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was under the impression that the Tulsa crew was headed to HCR, as one of my friends is guiding it and wants to hook up with me while I'm out there.

forgedspeed

Mar 14, 2005, 7:19 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo fellas,

I just got back from a day at robbers cave, always entertaining - but nothing too great. We have spotted some new rock around the park and are going to explore later this week.

Okiebuds- care to point me in the direction of some of the rock around wilburton? email - forgedspeed@cox.net

Im from McAlester btw,
Jacob

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook