RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

dlintz

Mar 4, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #1 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Vandals at Morrison, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Apparently someone poured oil (vegeatable?) on holds at Morrison a few nights ago. I know there's plenty of people that verbally bash the place but this kind of crap is way out of line.

http://frontrangebouldering.com/morrison/images/1.jpg
http://frontrangebouldering.com/morrison/images/2.jpg
http://frontrangebouldering.com/morrison/images/3.jpg

d.

speedywon

Mar 4, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #2 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vandals at Morrison, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: Unbelievable. Some people on this planet are just a complete waste of breathing air. :evil:

cabdog

Mar 4, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #3 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What route is this? ASSHOLES!!!!!!!

edge

Mar 4, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #4 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is vegetable oil, or really any kind of oil, the best solvents are gasoline, acetone, xylene, toluene, etc. Not really enviro friendly.

Best bet would be to apply any of the latter three via a scrub brush, as they will flash off rather quickly, and follow it up with a water rinse.

Good luck!

jw11733

Mar 4, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Detergents do a great job of emulsifying oils, allowing them to be rinsed away. Perhaps try rubbing on some dry dish detergent (not too much), or a paste of detergent and a little water, then rinse with lots of water. Test on a small area first!

-John

dlintz

Mar 4, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #6 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's talk of a cleanup effort on the discussion board here

d.

cragb

Mar 4, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #7 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why????? is it in someones backyard... is it too hard...is it a joke... the rational for such an action is beyond me.. any psychologists on the site care to enlighten me.

crazyfingers

Mar 4, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #8 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a stupid thing to do... where'd it happen? I'd be willing to help clean up. Can't think of one good reason for this kind of behavior... a$$hole.

KT

crazyfingers

Mar 4, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #9 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

found this on front range bouldering...

Morrison cleanup
Posted on March 4, 2005 at 11:33:13 AM by AnnettefromMorrison

Several of us Morrison regulars are going to meet tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon to work on cleaning up the Black Hole. We think it will clean better when the rock is warmer, which will happen after it goes into the sun around 1:30 or 2:00.

After many discussions about the assorted cleaning options, the safest starting point seems to be a water based, biodegradable and mild degreaser/cleaner. It is hard to make sorbent materials (for example, kitty litter or sawdust) stick on a overhanging surface. Other options involving mineral spirits and such could drive the oil into the rock or themselves leave an oil residue. Also, depending on what they are, organic based solvents could slow natural degradation processes that might help the rock improve with age. Acidic or caustic solutions could etch the rock. A few of us have started some test cleanups on oiled areas that are not holds; by tomorrow we should have a pretty good idea about how those went before we start.

If you want to help bring: buckets for dragging water from the creek to the rock, brushes for scrubbing (big as well as small for cleaning those important small features AND absolutely NO brass or steel -- only nylon), gloves, beer if you want to party a little while you are working. You will get some spray going while you are scrubbing, so eye protection would be smart too (or don't look at what you are doing).

We will have to see how everything looks after it has had a chance to dry out. It might take a few scrubbings or more agressive measures with alcohol or ??? in the future. At least this initial cleaning will get the bulk of it off.

Maybe we should schedule a competition on Sunday for the first person to do whatever after the "oiling" -- the first AO ascent of helicopter, air loopus, tendinitis, air jordan .....

Above all, the most important part is to somehow hope that this never happens again.

mother_sheep

Mar 4, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #10 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assholes everywhere. Maybe someone wanted the area cleaned. They lubed the place knowing that it would piss off climbers. What are climbers going to do about it? Clean the rock. The chalk looks pretty gnarley up there from the road. I think what happened is awful but some people think that defacing the rock face with chalk is equally awful. Non climbers are probably trying to keep climbers away. Rock needs a bath anyway.

Flame away!

Partner angry

Mar 4, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with mother_sheep, that place was trashed. I drive past it every day and there are people always there. I don't know what to do, maybe carry a super-soaker and spray it down if you are the last to leave. Whatever, the place is a big chalk scar.

I went there once and was so underwhelmed that I never returned.

blind_wit

Mar 4, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #12 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: Are you kidding? People do that kind of shit where I live too. Except some of the major places are trashed with tons of glass, so you cant wear your shoes when belaying, and have to be super careful about stepping on the rope. "Step on the rope you buy the beer!" A group of up tryed to organize a clean up with the forest service and they said no and that the land had already be declared a write-off. Bastards...we clean up where we can anyway!

jcinco

Mar 4, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #13 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree with mother_sheep, that place was trashed. I drive past it every day and there are people always there. I don't know what to do, maybe carry a super-soaker and spray it down if you are the last to leave. Whatever, the place is a big chalk scar.

Unless you scrub every route you do after you climb them then STFU.

In reply to:
I went there once and was so underwhelmed that I never returned.

Translation: I couldn't get up anything when I tried to climb at Morrison, so I'm left with slagging it on the net to save face.

jcinco

Mar 4, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #14 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Assholes everywhere. Maybe someone wanted the area cleaned. They lubed the place knowing that it would piss off climbers. What are climbers going to do about it? Clean the rock. The chalk looks pretty gnarley up there from the road. I think what happened is awful but some people think that defacing the rock face with chalk is equally awful. Non climbers are probably trying to keep climbers away. Rock needs a bath anyway.

Flame away!

So let me get this straight. The chalk at Morrison is ugly. But the chalk caked on nearly every route at Eldo is a thing of beauty? What about the chalk-caked cracks at Supergumby Buttress at Indian Creek, easily visible from the road? Interesting choice of threads to rant about the visual impact of chalk.

The Morrison vandalism was clearly done by someone who knew some details about the problems, as only specific hand and foot holds were oiled. A non-climber would not be so surgical with the task. In any case, the Lobby is more visible from the road than the Black Hole. Why then was the Lobby spared the grease? My guess is that it was more of a prank than any sort of do-gooder trying to get people to clean up the rock.

mother_sheep

Mar 6, 2005, 5:31 AM
Post #15 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So let me get this straight. The chalk at Morrison is ugly. But the chalk caked on nearly every route at Eldo is a thing of beauty?

Did I say that?

Hang on while I re-read my post. . .

la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
thinking. . .thinking. . .
la
la
la
la
la
la
ummmmmmmmmm
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
la
la
NOPE!!!!!!

And yeah, the chalk is ugly no matter where you go. So what's your point? Eh, never mind. . .

dlintz

Mar 7, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #16 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here a link to a video of the cleanup effort on Saturday. You'll need a Flash plugin to watch.

Morrison Cleanup

d.

mother_sheep

Mar 7, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #17 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice video! Pretty cool how quickly the climbing community came together to clean it up.

crazyfingers

Mar 7, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #18 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice work folks!

jcinco

Mar 7, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #19 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Posted on the FRB message board:

In reply to:
The black hole will live. Some experimental testing and a whole lot of people were able to get the oil off the holds. A few people sent Helicopter after it was cleaned and Hickey managed Pop without much problem. Some of the holds will still seap for a while but everything should be ok.

Huge thanks need to go out to Annette for organizing the whole thing, to Mike Hickey for busting ass, Jade for bringing the weed sprayer, Calvin for showing up at 9:30 and getting started, Wayne for bringing great homebrew, and the girl who brought the corn starch, I did not catch your name, but that was a great idea. Thanks to all not mentioned as there where many others that worked just as hard.

http://www.boards2go.com/...rd.cgi?&user=mbrooks

Nice job folks!

mfornont85

Mar 7, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #20 of 20 (10307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a few reccomendations to cleaning up both the chalk and oil mess. I would highly reccomend Simple Green to cut down the oil and also help break up the chalk grime. It is an environmentally friendly degreaser, we have also used it at my college gym do clean holds and it does a mighty fine job. If you would rather not use a liquid on the rocks i would reccomend a product called Spill Magic (look it up on Google), it is an absorbancy powder used specifically to clean up oils and detergent spills, I have used this product in maintenance situations and it handles anything from laundry detergent to hydraulic oil. Yet it sells for a reasonable price and is available for purchase for home use. I hope this may help you all out :-) it's a shame to see any climb like that.

-Simple Green or Spill Magic

Peace

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook