Forums: Community: Campground:
I Just Quit My Job What To Do Next!?!?!?!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

akclimber

Mar 13, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

I Just Quit My Job What To Do Next!?!?!?!
Report this Post
Can't Post

I quit Lowes. w00t w00t. Climbing trip in Nevada coming up at the end of the month for a week. Trip for Denali planned this summer. What would you guys do now? I got enough saved up for the trips, but thats about it. I will be pretty broke if I do not work(down to last few dollars).

crimpergirl

Mar 13, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Re: I Just Quit My Job What To Do Next!?!?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to try to get work with a temp agency. I did this for a while when I was waiting for a 'real' job after grad school. It was great because they'd pay the day after the job (or once a week for longer jobs), and yI could decide if I felt like working when they called with a job in mind. The pay wasn't bad either.

PSA: If you own a company and have a temp come in, NEVER NEVER NEVER let them do the filing for you. I know everyone hates to file, but a temp really doesn't care if this stuff is ever found again and files accordingly.

damon99

Mar 13, 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #3 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted: :twisted: haha, i was workin in a temp agency, and i was doin the filing, and type some shit into the computer.. paid me 600 a week, did little bit of filing, like for 30 mins a day, threw half of the papers that needed to be filed away, and didnt type anythin into the computer, but was sufring the web all day long, and eachin Cheeto's :D I was in that company for 2 month, SUCKERS!! :D :D :D :twisted:

8flood8

Mar 13, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

something unexpected may come up. Don't just count on pennies!

plus with a few extra.. your trip could get a little more grease in its wheels!

akclimber

Mar 14, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #5 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
something unexpected may come up. Don't just count on pennies!

plus with a few extra.. your trip could get a little more grease in its wheels!

How true. But I have dropped many grand over the winter upgrading\adding. I have a pretty sic setup at this point. Jus didn't hardly get to use it for trips, just day only kind of deals. Work was so gay, they stopped giving me 2 days in a row off, it would be random days and random sceduling.

A temp agency sounds like a good idea, I will check it out.

estherator

Mar 14, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #6 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude! Don't you realise that you can make enough bank over the four month summer season to live like a king for the rest of the year. I'm going to your town to do just that! So you sell your soul for four months, and make 10,000 smackers working on a tour train or, from what I hear 20ish fishing-you could live on that for at least two years. And take off and PLAY. Laugh at those fools working full time, year round! Bwahahaha!

8flood8

Mar 14, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #7 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol hope you find someplace warm to sleep in about 30 years :)

akclimber

Mar 14, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #8 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude! Don't you realise that you can make enough bank over the four month summer season to live like a king for the rest of the year. I'm going to your town to do just that! So you sell your soul for four months, and make 10,000 smackers working on a tour train or, from what I hear 20ish fishing-you could live on that for at least two years. And take off and PLAY. Laugh at those fools working full time, year round! Bwahahaha!

The summer is the best time to be in AK. If you don't like the summers then you would not want to live here. It is also when I am not willing to work much. Ice is fun, but I would rather work in the winter.

estherator

Mar 16, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #9 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, but the point is that you don't have to be THERE when you're not working. You can go wherever your ideal temp zone is and CHASE it for the rest of the year. You don't EVER have to see a real winter unless you WANT to! 8^)

8flood8

Mar 17, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #10 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any insight on where to get signed up on these alaska summers...
Reading this post again that sounds nice to chase the rock for a few years.

akclimber

Mar 17, 2005, 6:04 AM
Post #11 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, but the point is that you don't have to be THERE when you're not working. You can go wherever your ideal temp zone is and CHASE it for the rest of the year. You don't EVER have to see a real winter unless you WANT to! 8^)

I like AK winter, as I like its summers. Awesome temperatures and weather. So ideally I should just never work again. Problem solved. :lol:

estherator

Mar 18, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #12 of 12 (597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="8flood8"]Any insight on where to get signed up on these alaska summers...quote]

Pretty much, if you're there, there's plenty of work to be had. I applied to Royal Celebrity on their website and was hired on as an onboard bartender for their train run between Anchorage and Fairbanks. There are other companies that have similar deals. The base pay is high enough to guarantee $8000 gross, plus tips. Plus a 10% bonus if you work the entire season. Plus a cruise, up to 10 days, for a nominal (gratuity) fee of $20/day.

It's tourist season, and Alaska PAYS better than anywhere else that I know of. Maybe AK climber has other beta. I hear you can make $20K in a summer on the fishing boats, but it's seriously hard work. I have heard others are going up to work construction.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook