slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #1 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

"Alpinist-X " article
Report this Post
Can't Post

About smoking and climbing.
I usually smoke after climbing ( when I can ) but after reading that article I felt curious about experimenting it. So I rolled a fat one and smoked it just before entering my gym on sat Afternoon.

I decided to boulder so I would probably had a more isolated experience.

I was able to focus on the moves a little better and isolate myself from the rest of the people / gym, getting in a more relaxed state. On the other hand I did not felt as "competitive" as usual, a group of friend was trying a problem, but instead of joining them I sterted working another one, didn't felt like "competing" on the same one they were doing.

On the other hand last time I tried the same thing ( not as an experiment, by chance) and I was leading, I remembered I was on lead at the 3rd clip, before that I was just climbing, that is good in a way, I was focused, bad in another, I was unsafe.

You ever tried? I'll like to try again but outdoor on lead , this time I'll try to remember to clip :)

BTW, the pictures on Alpinist X are awesome as usual.

Partner tattooed_climber

Mar 15, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #2 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Alpinist-X " article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

me and my partner keep that shit for bouldering and TRing....or after the climb.....but i totally know what you mean....3 beers and a late night bouldering session on my woodie is great....relaxing, control, focus....then a slamb my head into a massive roof jug... :roll: :shock: ...

slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #3 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL!

yes.

:oops:

In reply to:
me and my partner keep that s--- for bouldering and TRing....or after the climb.....but i totally know what you mean....3 beers and a late night bouldering session on my woodie is great....relaxing, control, focus....then a slamb my head into a massive roof jug... :roll: :shock: ...

maculated

Mar 15, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #4 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You ever tried? I'll like to try again but outdoor on lead , this time I'll try to remember to clip :)

I am totally disturbed by your post. It's one thing to be a functioning smoker who can do stuff without much handicap, and they know so because they've been smoking a long time, but it's quite another to experiment to see what happens and then not feel so weird about the fact that (a) you didn't clip the bolts and (b) your belayer didn't raise holy hell when you did this.

"Loda Bohl" was an admitted user, and from what I gather about the article, a pretty elite climber. I may be showing ignorance by not knowing who he is, but the fact remains, and he said it, too - their safety was pretty high because they'd been climbing so long, they were naturally inclined to do what needed to be done to climb safely. It was part of habit. I know you've been climbing a long time, so I wonder what that means.

If you weren't making clips, you should NOT have been doing this.

So you are either full of shit, or you need to keep your belayer sober, at the very least.

::shudder::

slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 1:31 AM
Post #5 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Relax Mac. He didn't even know I was (slightly) stoned. I've been climbing AND smoking for roughly 20 years (not necessarily together), plus I was in the gym 3 bolts means maybe 10 feet.

why you feel the right to lecture me? Can't you just give your opinion about the issue (climbing stoned)?

In reply to:
In reply to:

I am totally disturbed by your post. It's one thing to be a functioning smoker who can do stuff without much handicap, and they know so because they've been smoking a long time, but it's quite another to experiment to see what happens and then not feel so weird about the fact that (a) you didn't clip the bolts and (b) your belayer didn't raise holy hell when you did this.

"Loda Bohl" was an admitted user, and from what I gather about the article, a pretty elite climber. I may be showing ignorance by not knowing who he is, but the fact remains, and he said it, too - their safety was pretty high because they'd been climbing so long, they were naturally inclined to do what needed to be done to climb safely.

If you weren't making clips, you should NOT have been doing this.

So you are either full of s---, or you need to keep your belayer sober, at the very least.

::shudder::

8flood8

Mar 15, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think her opinion was that she is concerned with your lack of concern of safety, at least the inferred lack of concern, as evidenced in your post.

but... i speak for myself.

maculated

Mar 15, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #7 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you've been climbing a long time, but I've seen a ton of bad shit in my day because people thought it would be cool to climb high or drunk . . . it's the mom in me. The fact that you went out and did it indicates to me that probably a lot more stupid, less experienced climbers will be doing it too.

Slightly stoned caused you to forget to clip? Your partner still didn't mind you skipping them?

slobmonster

Mar 15, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #8 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
About smoking and climbing.
I usually smoke after climbing ( when I can ) but after reading that article I felt curious about experimenting it. So I rolled a fat one and smoked it just before entering my gym on sat Afternoon.
I'm just rolling with a sort of mortified glee that it took a tongue-in-cheek, thoroughly sarcastic "published" "experiment" to give you the idea.

It is a well-known FACT that you can climb anything within twenty minutes of pounding 2 beers, a shot of espresso, and some green to round it all out.

The funniest part of the article in question is that the author can never use the byline in his resume.

slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #9 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it was not the first time ever, I did it outdoor too, but not as an "experiment" infact outdoor you "sober up" almost immediately because of the concentration required and the potential danger. Indoor of course I was more able to focus on the effects, since the risck was close to zero. An eventual fall from 10 feet over a heavily padded floor was not a real concern.

Anybody tried hallucinogens? :lol:

Hey Mac, I am planning my next experiment, it will involve shrooms and soloing :)

edge

Mar 15, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #10 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes, actually, I have. Aid climbing, mostly.

In my climbing hay day, I routinely climbed stoned, in fact almost all of the time, to the point where it was odd to climb not stoned. I toked on my first big wall, prior to my first 5.11 lead, and every other place you could imagine.

The first time that I went to climb the classic Cathedral Ledge 5.9 "Diedre," my partner and I both backed off of the crux on the second pitch. We went back to the car, smoked a couple bowls, had a few brewskies, and I told him that I could get it now. We went back, I cruised the crux pitch, and we finished the five pitches in no time.

As I belayed him up the final 5.9 handcrack, I wondered why he wasn't chalking up. When he arrived on top I found out the answer when he produced a can of Heineken from his chalk bag. Yumadoodles!

slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #11 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhh
Thanks man, I feel at home again, for a moment I thought I was on the wrong site.
Enough with the delf-righteous and the bible thumping ( especially when they came together)
:lol:

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yes, actually, I have. Aid climbing, mostly.

In my climbing hay day, I routinely climbed stoned, in fact almost all of the time, to the point where it was odd to climb not stoned. I toked on my first big wall, prior to my first 5.11 lead, and every other place you could imagine.

The first time that I went to climb the classic Cathedral Ledge 5.9 "Diedre," my partner and I both backed off of the crux on the second pitch. We went back to the car, smoked a couple bowls, had a few brewskies, and I told him that I could get it now. We went back, I cruised the crux pitch, and we finished the five pitches in no time.

As I belayed him up the final 5.9 handcrack, I wondered why he wasn't chalking up. When he arrived on top I found out the answer when he produced a can of Heineken from his chalk bag. Yumadoodles!

bumblie

Mar 15, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #12 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ahhhh
Thanks man, I feel at home again, for a moment I thought I was on the wrong site.
Enough with the delf-righteous and the bible thumping ( especially when they came together)

You're overlooking the obvious differences. In edge's case, we have a young stoner, who was also a climber, enjoying these interests together. In your case, we have a middle-aged guy "experimenting" with pot, like a stupid teenager. That you would completely space the first two clips, says plenty.

Your trip report reminded me of the last thing a redneck says...

slablizard

Mar 15, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #13 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL :lol:

Bumblie, I "experimented" back in the '80. You blubbing pot of beans.
Are you always in a bad mood ?

you're right on the age thou, I'll be 40 in November, definitely halfway my tour of the planet here. Feeling great thou. Actually a lot better than...let's say 10 years ago.

How old are you?

and yeeaahhhhhhduuuuudddeeeee I spaced for almost ten feet in a gym...WHOAAA what a trip! :roll: Or you got offended by the bible thumping self-righteous part? Hey nothing personal, I just work here :)

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ahhhh

You're overlooking the obvious differences. In edge's case, we have a young stoner, who was also a climber, enjoying these interests together. In your case, we have a middle-aged guy "experimenting" with pot, like a stupid teenager. That you would completely space the first two clips, says plenty.

Your trip report reminded me of the last thing a redneck says...

Partner j_ung

Mar 15, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to love to get high and climb trad. Did it pretty much every time for a while, but then I never really climbed all that hard in those days. Now I just don't feel comfortable doing it, so I don't. Pot makes me two things: lazy and hungry and neither is conducive to hard climbing. No mas.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook