Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mother_sheep

Apr 14, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Loved Based Motivation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Love based motivation

What motivates you to keep coming back for more and more, even when the chips are down? If you have it, where do you find your love based motivation to keep climbing? In my case, I find it in the simplest form. It’s surprisingly not always about the climb itself that makes me fall totally in love with an area or route. I find it in the views, the air, the sun, the snow, the peaks around me, my partners, the challenge, the fear, the rock, the ability to maximize every waking and sleeping hour of the day, etc. . . It seems like there are so many things that motivate me to climb, even when I know that the moment I commit to a certain route that it may be tiring, scary and seemingly impossible to summit. It’s my passion so I keep coming back for more. I can’t seem to stop. The more I get out, the more I want to climb. My motivation is totally love based. Is yours?

angelaa

Apr 14, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #2 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Re: Loved Based Motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely!! :D

I too find it in
"the views, the air, the sun, the snow, the peaks around me, my partners"

but the challenge - fear-rock-conquering the route it's all a plus+

I climb because:
I love to be outside
I love to push myself
I love to be with my climbing buddies
I love watching a bird soar on the thermals above the cliffs
I love finding the tiniest of flowers in a crack and enjoy its fragility in a harsh world.
I love sticking my hand in a crack and cranking on it till it hurts, knowing I ain/t gonin' anywhere!
I love rock . . no really I always have loved rocks - looking at rock, picking up rock, collecting rocks, and now I can add CLIMBING ROCKS.
so . . bottom line . . I LOVE ROCKCLIMBING

angelaa

Apr 14, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry double post - the system told me my first posting didn't go thru . . but I guess it did

mother_sheep

Apr 14, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #4 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Absolutely!! :D

I too find it in
"the views, the air, the sun, the snow, the peaks around me, my partners"

but the challenge - fear-rock-conquering the route it's all a plus+

I climb because:
I love to be outside
I love to push myself
I love to be with my climbing buddies
I love watching a bird soar on the thermals above the cliffs
I love finding the tiniest of flowers in a crack and enjoy its fragility in a harsh world.
I love sticking my hand in a crack and cranking on it till it hurts, knowing I ain/t gonin' anywhere!
I love rock . . no really I always have loved rocks - looking at rock, picking up rock, collecting rocks, and now I can add CLIMBING ROCKS.
so . . bottom line . . I LOVE ROCKCLIMBING

Yep, all reasons why I'd like to climb with you some day!!!

chronicle

Apr 14, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #5 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used up all my votes today. Next time around, that is getting a trophy.

rockhound71

Apr 14, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #6 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D: All of the above!!! :D

Partner baja_java

Apr 14, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #7 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've done it love based and hate based, which by the way rocks too. kinda like grudge effing. what has eluded me so far though is climbing with perfect indifference. very hard to get it just right. without a trace of love, and not one iota of hate. you know, like you just don't care. i have a feeling hitting this exact chord is where the transcendence is most euphoric, like having multiple organ transplants, or whatever that's called

seagypsy

Apr 14, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #8 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think operating from loved based motivation is key for everything in life. Everything is interconnected and we are all part of one another. If I hate a person or a thing then I am hating myself...Loving the unloveable, forgiving the unforgivable-are doorways to immense inner peace and joy. Climbing is a way that I can be suspended in a state of love, a true and spiritual type of love. I am finding other ways to remain in this state as well. I love your post about 'loved based motivation!' XXOO

sinshan

Apr 14, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #9 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for putting up this post! It's awesome to hear from folks who climb for similar reasons and motivations as me.

I always say "if I'm not loving it, I shouldn't be doing it" when it comes to climbing. For me, I consistently remember that climbing is about both choice and instinct - - about that place where intuition melds with nerve, muscle and mind and results in an amazing sense of peace and fulfillment, if you let it. Many climbers don't, though - - too busy trying to prove something, numbers chasing or heaping expectations on themselves, they forget to enjoy what they're doing, not having any fun and/or lnot oving the experience. Even on epic days (translate: downpours, snow showers on lead, 5 hour approaches with no crag in sight, midnight rappells), I still love it, because I know that was an experience I walked into and couldn't wait to have.

I get that people climb for different reasons, and to each their own, but it's great to know others out there have similar motivations.

I'd climb with you all anytime!

t.

feral_raccoon

Apr 14, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #10 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaaaaw, seagypsy, I had no idea you were so sappy.
How come you're all lovey dovey sappy wappy online and you're a total vache to climb with? ;-)

Frankly, the thing that motivates me to keep coming back for more is my patagonia-prana wardrobe. I just need an excuse to wear that stuff, ya know?

seagypsy

Apr 14, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #11 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feral Racoon! (vache) The raw fear of swimmming around in shark infested waters these past few days has caused me to reflect on things and now I have turned over a new leaf. I am TOTALLY transformed and infused with love for everyone...except you...I am logging off now and catching the next flight to whatever continent you are traipsing about on and making a nuisance of yourself. (vache vache vache)

all_that_is_rock

Apr 15, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #12 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because I feel lost when I am not climbing. I stumbel around uselessly, doing all the routines of everyday life, and feel like a waste of space. when I am climbiing I am centered and I know why I wake up in the morning and have that second cup of coffe. It gives me joy in new ways every time I get out and go UP. I cant say all the ways I love rock climbing, because I dont know them all yet. I find a new one every day. The drawback is a recession from everything else. I see less and less meaning in buying "important" things for an "important" life. to quote a black diomond catalog "there is not one shred of evidence to support the notion that life is meant to be taken seriously".

dingus

Apr 15, 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #13 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could say I climb strictly because I love it. I think it would be cool to be able to say that.

But I can't.

Because I don't.

I'm not sure I could stop climbing if I stopped loving it. I'm not sure I always love it anyway. In fact, I know I don't.

Sometimes I hate it.

Sometimes I feel like an addict and climbing is so twisted up in impulse gratification that it is chemically wired below the love and hatre circuits.

Sometimes I do it out of a sense of, um, duty. Of commitment. To avoid letting people down.

Sometimes when I'm climbing I just wish it were over.

Sure I love climbing. But that's just a part of it.

DMT

vivalargo

Apr 15, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #14 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the challenges of "trying" to be love-based is that a part of your ego is trying to control and orchestrate your inner experience, which means when feelings and thoughts come up that are not "loving," you repress and project them. An attitude of complete openness to all experience, without reactively acting on anything, is to get free of the whole duality of love and hate etc.

Let it rip, in other words, without getting in your own way, neither rejecting, or encouraging, any feeling, thought, or state.

And when you can actually do that, kindly tell me how. . .

JL

kriso9tails

Apr 15, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #15 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really love climbing. It's a good release and is fun, but so is getting drunk. It really has more to do with what seems most economical at any given time than pursuing what I love.

In reply to:
sorry double post - the system told me my first posting didn't go thru . . but I guess it did

Down with the system! That's just like the man to lie to you like that.

crackrn

Apr 15, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #16 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I"m not sure where my motivation comes from for climbing. It has everything I love about being physical: movement, technique, strength. And coupled with that I love the cerebral aspect of figuring the right sequence to make moves up the rock feel easy. I love that I'm actually using my body, not just lifting heavy objects in a room.

But that doesn't explain why, when 5 minutes after I finish a lead that left me crying and shaking with fear (just started leading trad), I'm planning my next lead and how I"ll do better. I would think the fear would cancel out any benefits seen. But it doesn't. I look forward to the next climbing day with the same anticipation. I guess I love the challenge and the feeling of accomplishment.

angelaa

Apr 15, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #17 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Down with the system! That's just like the man to lie to you like that.

too funny !!! :lol:

don't get me wrong, just because I say I love climbing doesn't mean I have never questioned why I do what I do - or even hated it for a moment or two.

Take my ride up Prodigal Son, one of the most Physically and Mentally demanding things I have ever conquered!
If you'd have asked me to climb another big wall when I got to the top of that one I'd had said 'HELL NO!". Then as time goes by, the love comes back into play and all I remember are the good things and the accomplishments. The pain and suffering is still there in the back of my mind, but it isn't as big a deal anymore. . . . . . . sounds a lot like some friends have described child birth!?

mother_sheep

Apr 15, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #18 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, there have been many, many times that I have said out loud that "I hate this shit!" "Why am I doing this?" yadda yadda. I think hate is a form of passion. Hate is such a strong emotion. So maybe I should change the title to Love/Hate Based Motivation. Really though, it's the challenges which are not so easy and the cool fru fru stuff that keeps me coming back. Eh, nah. It's all about the love.

watchme

Apr 15, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #19 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it Twight or Blanchard who said, "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"

Perhaps I would say, "One doesn't have to love climbing to love climbing."

mother_sheep

Apr 15, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #20 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"

Very true. For example, last night my partner and I headed out to do Lovers Leap, which is a 5 pitch, pretty mellow trad route. Right off the bat, things got weird. We had to cross a fast flowing river to get to the climb. As usual, I got soaked. Then I realized that I forgot my climbing shoes. So I was climbing this wet route with wet, torn apart approach shoes. I was doing pullups for almost every move since my feet were useless. So I was cold, wet and my arms were getting tired fast. BUT, it was fun. It was like a brief training session for alpine. So it wasn't fun in the ususal sense that we consider to be fun. Actually, it was kind of a pain in the ass. But I'm going back for more of the same next week, with shoes.

braaaaaaaadley

Apr 15, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #21 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You forgot one!!!... in what other sport do you get to play with all that shiny gear? :lol:

angelaa

Apr 15, 2005, 4:17 PM
Post #22 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You forgot one!!!... in what other sport do you get to play with all that shiny gear? :lol:

I don't know 'bout the rest of you'all :P but my gear ain't shiny! 8^)
:D

kriso9tails

Apr 15, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #23 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

With some willing sherpas, some hexes and a nice round rock you can get a mean game of polo going.

pushsendnorcal

Apr 15, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone once asked where I get the motivation to train day in and day out. Simple, I know nothing else, there isn't a problem of motivation because there isn't a choice.

Partner robdotcalm

Apr 15, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #25 of 35 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

golf

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook