RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sypher2049

Apr 26, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Vert with a slight overhang!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a prob with climbing Completly vertical faces with a overhang at the top. I am a NOOB, so dont ask,... I have been climbing for about 2.5 mnths, 3-4 times a week, and i am catching on quike, I have already past the people who taught me how to climb. Right now i am climbing at a 5.9/5.10 level. The only prob i have is sticking the overhang at the top of a face. I get to the top of a face then I freak out for some reason when I have to get over the edge to complete the climb. I know what i have to do, and i see the holds and they are bomber holds at that, and yes i look at the climb and i think about what i am going to do before i get there, I try to stay 2moves ahead of where i am at, but when i get my feet under me and my body is in a L shape i freak out because i cant keep my weight on my feet and i start over gripping and i feel as if i cant go any further because my forarms are so tired. Yes i stop and take deep breaths and collect myself, i am not afraid of falling, but i do get a mental block like, I cant do this, then i tell myself i am going to do it.. Any help would be nice, on how to keep my wieght balanced or do i just have to overcome the feeling and rely on my upperbody strength to pull me over the edge.

overlord

Apr 26, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Vert with a slight overhang! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like you should climb a few roofs to get used to the feeling of not having a lot of weight on your feet.

and yes, climbs that force you to alter the general technique in the middle can be tricky for a beginner.

another thing for you to try would be to practice your overhang climbing technique. sounds like your problem lies in that area. practice drop knees and stuff like that. also do a search for "how to get past the dreaded overhang" or something like that. its an old thread with quite a few good pointers.

also check out these two threads:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/69249
http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/9470

and dont worry about it. .10 for a noob is not bad at all.

andy_reagan

Apr 26, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find some new climbs that you feel are your weakness and experiment around on them in the presence of someone you trust that has more experience than you. Perhaps you will learn a thing or two. Then its on to the next weakness!

keinangst

Apr 26, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once you get your skills honed a bit more, you can practice the true art of climbing:

Climbing vert with a slight hangover.

Good luck!

cmacblue42

May 4, 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try bouldering a bit especially the overhanging problems. they will help you a lot.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook