RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

decorahhughes

May 10, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Advice for Utah Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hope some of you can help me out here. My wife and I are thinking about taking a trip out to Utah sometime next year - either late spring or mid-summer.

We're looking at the Bryce/Zion area. Hiking and camping plus some rock climbing if we could pull it off. I haven't done a tremendous amount of research yet but was hoping something might be able to point out some books or sites or even guiding companies that could help us out. Not against going on a group trip or something, provided they are a good experience.

One thing to consider - we're not multi-pitch climbers, just top rope. Only been doing this climbing thing for a couple of years, but we're hooked after going outdoors. Still I don't want to push my limits too far and make it a permanent vacation or nothing.

Thanks in advance.

unrooted

May 12, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: Advice for Utah Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Zion is beautiful, and if you want to avoid the crowds try and go in spring. Also during most of the year you have to ride a bus around the park, go to their website to find out when. St. George is a great place to climb single pitch routes, but learning to lead would be in your best interest, unless you go to black rocks which closes for most of spring.

atg200

May 12, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it'll be really hot there in the summer - better to go in the spring or fall. there is very little toproping in the area. get the todd goss guidebook to st george for an overview of what little there is.

tradmanclimbs

May 12, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lots of single pitch and top ropeable stuf in st george. crawdad caynon is perfect for the gym/noob style climber. it is basicly an outdoor gym. costs $6.00 per day per person includs useing the pool.

tenesmus

May 12, 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't come. you'll hate it. the rock sucks. its hot then. no places to toprope. bryce, kolob, zion slot canyons, escalante, kodachrome basin, and cedar breaks all have either tons of really cold water or will still be socked in with snow.

decorahhughes

May 13, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all.

Some part of my brain should have told me "Utah is hot in the summer" but didn't put it together. Work for a college so my vacation times are rather strict :?

In any case, I'll look all that up. Thanks again.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook