Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Niagara Glen Access Issues??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

freeskicolorado

May 19, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2794 views)
Shortcut

Niagara Glen Access Issues??  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Golden_Horseshoe: Niagara_Glen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

Today two friends and I went bouldering at Niagara Glen. As we were leaving, two Niagara Falls Police officers stopped us at the top of the stairs. The officers asked to see our "written permission" to climb in the glen, and when I told them we didn't have any, they informed us that climbing in the glen was illegal. They asked for ID from all of us, and recorded all of my information (but not my friends' info) in a notepad. After some more questioning and such, the officer told me "You got away with it this time, but if I ever catch you again, there will be a fine involved and it's pretty hefty."

So... what's the deal? As far as I know and have read anywhere, all roped climbing and rappelling is illegal in the glen, but bouldering is perfectly fine. Am I wrong? Is there some access issue here that I'm unaware of?

Frankly, I think the officer didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Just before we left, they asked us if we had seen an individual and described him. We had not, but it sounded like the reason they were there was to find this person, not to catch climbers. I think he saw the sign at the top of the stairwell that reads "No climbing or rappelling is allowed except by written permission." and did not understand that this rule did not apply to bouldering. From a couple of his other comments, it sounded like he really didn't have any idea what bouldering (or climbing for that matter) was to begin with. If this is the case and bouldering is indeed allowed in the glen, I would think (hope) that those in charge of the glen would be concerned about the fact that boulderers are being wrongly hassled by the police when they are completely innocent.

Anybody have any information on what the actual rules are in Niagara Glen?

Thanks,
Jeff

grinspoon

May 19, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2794 views)
Shortcut

Re: Niagara Glen Access Issues?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jeff,
Wow dude, I've never heard of that happening before..and I've climbed at the Glen a lot. Hmmm...sounds like they didn't know what they were talking about..I haven't heard anything about a change in access.

static_endurance

May 19, 2005, 3:13 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2794 views)
Shortcut

Re: Niagara Glen Access Issues?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Access issues have been something that come and go for the glen. I've heard rumours of it getting shut down altogether due to environmental impact or something crazy like that, but i can never be sure what's rumour or real.
Check out http://www.glenbouldering.com, it's pretty much the official website for the glen. It doesn't seem to be working right now, but that might be my computer that's not working. It's worth the click.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook