RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

yay_chris

May 28, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

"Bump" in forearm injury - need explanation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone identify what happened to my friend's forearm...

After pulling on some overhangs, my friend noticed some pain in his forearm. Upon checking out his arm, he discovered a small, but prominent "bump" about the size of a nickel on his forearm.

Its been about 2 weeks and the bump still shows up and causes pain if he flexes is arm(although it's somewhat reduced in size).

What happened? Does he have a minor tear in his tendon? Is he out for 6 weeks?

Thanks in advance.

bluenose

May 30, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Bump" in forearm injury - need explanation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My brother has something similar and I can't remember the term for it. He got it from working out with weights. Apparently the stress on the muscles can cause some fat to literally pop out from inside the muscle to between the skin and muscle. They can be painful if pressure is applied or if the muscle is flexed hard. They seem to generally happen near the main bulk of the muscle and not near the tendon attachments. It also seems that some people are more prone to this and it may be heriditary. I've never had any, my brother has quite a few, forearms mainly. He was told that surgery was pretty much the only option to get rid of them if they didn't clear themselves...which they never have.

Keep in mind that this is one possibility. Some other type of rupture or tear is possible but I've not heard of them like that except in the hand...ganglians...or somesuch. I've had those in my fingers and they are painfull at times and take a few weeks to clear up it treated properly.

Oh, I forgot, they should be checked by a Doc, just in case this is NOT what they are...you know...the nasty tumor thing. It would be a shame as this might be something that may need to be caught early...just in case.

fastlikeninja

May 30, 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply......I am the friend that he's talking about. I would just like to clarify the description of the injury.

The injury is about halfway between my wrist and elbow (on the forearm) and it's not quite the size of a nickel...it's actually quite small, about the size of the circle on the back of a pen. When it first occured, it was extremely noticeable but I haven't climbed since it happened (it's been about a week and a half now) and it's almost completely gone. The other thing, is that it didn't hurt at all when it happened....i didn't notice it until i came down from the climb. It still doesn't hurt when at rest or when it's flexed, but i can feel a dull pain through my arm when i twist it horizontally.

Your suggestion sounds like a good possibility. I am going to go to the doctor and ask him about it. Thanks for your help.

hanginaround

May 31, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It may be a Ganglion Cyst. I've had one for about a year now. Mine doesn't bug me so my doc is using a wait and see treatment plan.

Check-out the link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/.../htm/_no_75_no_0.htm

yay_chris

Jun 1, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No no no... this isn't cancer or cyst or anything like that.

Its not noticable until the forearm pumps out. I'm thinking it is related to the muscle. Regardless, I think my friend is going the the doctor to check it out.

Thanks

reno

Jun 1, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a muscle tear.

When it was strained hard, and the pop was felt, it was fibers of the muscle in the forearm tearing. Then they balled up, causing the lump. It hurts worse when he flexes it, because he's doing the same thing that caused the original injury, and the body "remembers" the pain.

Tell your buddy to take some time off and let the muscle heal. Ice to help reduce swelling and pain, some GENTLE stretching to held break up scar tissue, and mild warm packs before any activity (run a washcloth under really warm water, pu it in a ziplock bag, and apply to the arm.)

davidorchard

Jun 1, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hey nOOb-
I'm a solid V3 bolderer(except for that stoopid blue problem) and go to the gym like everyday and was cranking on this sick V5(almost sent) I campused to a pocket and my forearm made a sound like a flexi -straw expanding which didnt hhurt right away but now when I grab a pocket sharp VERY painful pain shoots up my arm but only when I grab pockets should I still climb? or climb but dont do pockets? how could i tape so no pain? cause it seems ok cept when climbing thanks for replys peace out 8^) :P :twisted: :wink: :?: :!: :o :D :P

Well, phillygoat, I'm no doctor, but based on what I've seen in the climbing community, you're (maybe? not?) doing exactly the right things. All of that foofery about Rest and Rehabilitation and Recuperation is a bunch of 'science' mumbo-jumbo...you may as well go see a Witch Doctor and get bled with leeches. I suspect that the pain in your arm is just some additional tendonoids or ligimentals or...bones...growing. It's very likely that you are transforming into some sort of quasi-human evil climbing monster, hopefully with abundant Super Powers and some sort of hook or claw for a hand. Sweet! When it comes time for you to start sucking out brains to feed your insatiable need for midichlorians, though...remember...

Friend! Subtle Friend! Subtle brain taste very, very bad! Bad Brain!

Regarding your injury, is one of your arms twice as long as the other? If so, that'll totally help on reachy problems. Like, it's V7, but for spaghetti-arm over here, it's V3-.

Allez. (snap!) Homard.

i found this and thought it might be relavant. oh and as it was summarized later.

In reply to:
Climbing injuries are frequently nature's way of saying you're special.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook