Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The Gate at Second mountain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

orngave

Jul 10, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

The Gate at Second mountain  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Hidden_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If it is public land on the other side, I don't see how it is possible for one of the land owners to have the gate closed. Seeing as how it is them that open it so they can go ride their jeep trails up there. Then complain when we tear up the road.

Gabe

greyghost

Jul 10, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

The Gate at Second mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two gates there. One owned by the NFS who owns the land on that side of the game. The second is owned by the landowners of Rawley community or whatever it is called which is private land. The landowners put up there gate and were only granting access to the road to their friends. The NFS said they could not do that. That is when they installed there gate. Which they were opening when the locals had theirs open. But I ran into a ranger like 4 months or so ago and I asked him about it. He said that they were not planning on opening their gate until this fall. So now nobody gets to use that access point. The jeep trail comes back around on to 33 where you can enter and get to second but it is a long drive. You would have to be pretty lazy to go way. In the end the Second Mountain Rd. is on private property so even though climbers have maybe have various opinions about the access we still have to tread lightly or risk stricter measures againtst trespassing which we do everytime we use that road. If you are on the road and are spinning out pull over and walk. From the gate it is probably not much more than a half a mile, and they climbing is well worth it.

are you buddies from dc going to check it out?

don't stop the scream

greyghost

Jul 10, 2002, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Second Mountain is not in the Hidden Cracks area. It would either be in the Rawley Springs area or its own area. If you deleted that from your title it might keep people from getting confused.

orngave

Jul 11, 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I know it isn't at Hidden Cracks, but this guy put it up there. I will see if I can change it.

Gabe

greyghost

Jul 11, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on....did your buddies ever come down from DC?

We are headed up there tomorrow if you want to go just let me know if you need a ride to the top.

[ This Message was edited by: greyghost on 2002-07-10 20:58 ]

bouldertoad

Sep 2, 2002, 6:47 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is an old post but the ranger I last talked to said the gate will be open in the fall for the hunters..

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook