RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

tradgal

Jun 6, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

NRG Accident
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As I was leaving Fayetteville Sunday afternoon, we passed multiple emergency rescue crews heading into town. Here is what the commotion was about...

21-Year-Old in the Hospital After Possible Rock Climbing Accident
Posted 6/5/2005 10:12 PM

The victim was taken to Plateau Medical Center after falling off a cliff in Fayette County.
Story by Aaron Mesmer Email | Bio

A possible rock climbing accident sent a 21-year-old man to the hospital Sunday. The fall appears to be serious.

Friends tell 59 News the victim was a Marshall student from Harrison County visiting Southern West Virginia this past weekend.

Emergency crews say the man fell about 65-feet off the Beauty Mountain overlook. Neither the National Park Service nor the hospital are commenting on the man's condition at this point; his identity has not been released.

Fire departments from Fayetteville, Oak Hill, Nuttall and Ansted all assisted in the rescue. The HealthNet helicopter was also called in.

The victim was taken to Plateau Medical Center in Oak Hill.

noell

Jun 6, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Re: NRG Accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my god!!! Anyone know what happened? I didn't hear anything about this, but we don't usually head into town post-Sunday climbs. I hope that they are alright!

:cry:

phlsphr

Jun 6, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Emergency crews say the man fell about 65-feet off the Beauty Mountain overlook.

This part of the story suggests to me that it might not have been a climber. Whatever the case, I hope he's ok.

noell

Jun 6, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Emergency crews say the man fell about 65-feet off the Beauty Mountain overlook.

This part of the story suggests to me that it might not have been a climber. Whatever the case, I hope he's ok.

You know, the fact that they said "overlook" made me think so too, which doesn't make the situation any less serious or concerning. However, the fact that the article does say "rock climbing" accident, and given the fact that man, the gorge was nasty and WET this weekend, climbers could very well have been hiking around looking for dry rock or something, could very well have been a fellow climber.

If anyone hears anything, or if I do, I will post up.

thorne
Deleted

Jun 6, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where is The Beauty Mountain Overlook?

tradgal

Jun 6, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing related or not, the NRG was wet this weekend and not from rain. The rock was just sweating all day! Where is the Beauty Mountain Overlook? I know where both parking areas are...

Beauty is primarily a trad area where rapping is done from trees. I'd imagine those areas were pretty slick this weekend. I have also witnessed. in the past, many people rapping into Beatuy instead of taking the trails from either end of the area.

I would be interested to know more details.

With regards to the emergency response...I dont know how the timliness of their repsonse played out, but they seemed to be VERY organized. While leaving from the Bridge area crossing over the Bridge south on 19, we saw a Ranger truck and an ambulance. A bit further south we saw two more response vehicles, one with a small all terrain vehicle in tow. It is great to know they they are pretty organized!!

xtremeski1

Jun 7, 2005, 1:40 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to pass along some info I saw on the local news. My condolences to family and friends.

Link: http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=3222

Man Dies in Fall in Fayette County
Posted 6/6/2005 12:35 PM

The Marshall student from Harrison County fell 65 feet off the Beauty Mountain overlook, officials said.
A 21-year-old man has died of his injuries after a fall Sunday in Fayette County.

Emergency crews said Christopher L. Lawrence of Lost Creek, W.Va., fell about 65 feet off the Beauty Mountain overlook.

Rangers say Lawrence was walking on the edge of a cliff when he slipped on some wet moss and fell.

When rescue crews arrived on the scene, Lawrence was conscious, but he soon went into cardiac arrest.

He was taken to Plateau Medical Center in Oak Hill.

Lawrence was a Marshall University student from Harrison County visiting Southern West Virginia over the weekend.

Four fire departments assisted in the rescue.

The Health-net helicopter was also called in.

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook