RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

haplo

Jun 17, 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Thailand questions...again
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys!

The good news: I got unexpectedly selected for a PhD program in Basel/Switzerland. And during the selection I already climbed there, it was cool :-D The bad news: I hardly have time to make my thailand trip. So now I am planning and calculating like crazy.

What I would like to know: Some posts mentioned that the area is pretty cruel to ropes. So I was thinking about buying a used rope in Railay/Tonsai since I didn't wanted to bring my brand new one. In your opinion ist that a stupid idea? Besides I would like to know if there is a direct way to go from Krabi to Koh Tao?

Cheers

Jun

PS: If you have more current beta on Railay and Tonsai feel free to share it with me :-)

karlbaba

Jun 17, 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thailand questions...again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always bring an "about to be retired" rope to Railay. I just give it away while I'm there.

Best travel plan for those in a hurry: Buy the Bangkok air discovery pass. $50 per leg for domestic flights. Fly BKK to Krabi, then Krabi to Samui (ferry to Koh Tao) Ferry back to Samui and fly back to Bangkok {BKK)

Have fune

karl

nthusiastj

Jun 17, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that you can rent a rope (as well as gear) at one of the guide shops in Railay and Ton Sai. That may be your best option. Double check on this before you go. Maybe e-mail King Climbers.

Karl had it right for the travel. I think.

jasonmason

Jun 17, 2005, 2:22 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you'll be able to find a comletely direct route from Koh Tao to Krabi - you may be able to fly from Koh Samui to Krabi ( i flew there from Bangkok, and friends of mine flew to samui from bangkok, so 1+1 maybe). If not there should be a bus from Chumphon or Surat Thani to Krabi, and there are boats from Koh Tao to either of those.

Have a great time on Koh Tao - I was there a year and a half ago for some diving and never got any climbing in, but from what I read theres some good granite bouldering on the island. It looked like there would be from just driving around, but just never got the time. Rent a motorbike and explore, and check out zengecko.com for climbing info on Koh Tao too.

tim

haplo

Jun 18, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #5 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the airpass-hint :-) I will try that.

@jasonmason
Zengecko was the website that made me plan a visit to Koh Tao in the first hand ;-) But can you tell me how the diving was (prices, gear quality)?

hellclimber

Jun 18, 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a couple of dives close to Koh Tao. Both nice dives. Gear was OK (but I did inspect it a bit more vigilant than I do my own). Can't quite remember how much I paid but it was pretty cheap. Sail rock was a very nice dive site.

I did a few dives from Krabi as well. I liked those even more than the ones off Koh Tao. My best dive was at Koh Bida Nai but Koh Bida Nuk was good as well.

Have a nice trip!

hellclimber

karlbaba

Jun 18, 2005, 2:18 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prices everywhere on Koh Tao for diving are basically the same. You can easily find one outfit's prices on the web, and then you'll know all their prices.

The secret is this: The resorts and their dive shops work together and give you a discount on your room when you dive with them. It's madness to stay one place and dive another as the discount can be substantial. (ie I paid 500 bhat for a nice bunglaow with AC and Pool that went for 1200 bhat otherwise)

I recomend going with a smaller outfit so don't have too much company on each dive. I went with Phoenix Diver's. Good Choice.

Also, in Railay, if you want more luxurious accomodations but don't want to overpay, I recommend Diamond Cave resort on East Railay.

Peace

Karl

bc2planker

Jun 18, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would not rent the gear in thailand... it looked pretty rat bagged, and if i remember correctly it was expensive.
I took a decent rope with me, then sold it when I was ready to leave... it was a 60m and i got 2000 baht for it. (about $80 canadian, a new rope her is $150 or so).

Diamond cave is a great place to stay, i paid 150baht/night for a room with shared bathroom.

As for travel... there are bus/minibus from krabi to suritani (sp), then get on a boat.

Have fun.

jacobbelsher

Jun 18, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hauling ropes through SE asia sucks. rent one on tonsai. they are fine.

jacobbelsher

Jun 18, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and in my expirience the diving around krabi was better than around koh tao.

andy_reagan

Jun 18, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats the deal with people not bringing their ropes back from thailand? Is it simply bc they are a pain to bring back through customs or something?

Wondering this myself as this is the first I've heard about this and was/am planning on bringing my rope over there when I go.

Thanks.

fiend

Jun 18, 2005, 7:35 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and in my expirience the diving around krabi was better than around koh tao.

I've been told this depends largely on what time of year you go. Did my PADI open water cert with Rai Leh divers and it was great.

Regarding ropes, I abandoned my old rope (actually left it with friends) because I didn't want to carry it around thailand for the next month. If you're only climbing for a week or two then your rope will be fine, but extended periods of climbing in that environment will destroy your rope and any other gear you have. If you really want your gear to survive a long trip there you should be rinsing it out in freshwater frequently. Most biners will begin to stiffen quite quickly if not cleaned.

If you look around and inspect them pretty well you could probably find a rope to rent that's in ok shape. I've had friends who rented because they were only there for a few days. A better option might be to find a cheap used rope before going over there and then donating it.

Most of the climbers seem to end up at Andaman bungalows on the backside road on Ton Sai. Best muesli-fruits-yoghurt in the area.

bc2planker

Jun 18, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason I sold my rope was I did not want to carry it around for the last 2 months of my non-climbing part of my asia trip.

bc2planker

Jun 18, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="andy_reagan"]Whats the deal with people not bringing their ropes back from thailand? quote]

The reason I sold my rope was I did not want to carry it around for the last 2 months of the non-climbing part of my asia trip.

I also like the diving from railay better than koh tao. Way less crowded. About 2500 baht for a full day with 3 dives, including a wreck dive.

bc2planker

Jun 18, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whats the deal with people not bringing their ropes back from thailand?

The reason I sold my rope was I did not want to carry it around for the last 2 months of the non-climbing part of my asia trip.

I also like the diving from railay better than koh tao. Way less crowded. About 2500 baht for a full day with 3 dives, including a wreck dive.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook