RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

slackersrock

Jun 25, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Long Term?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just having a conversation with my brother, who was trying slackline for the first time. He has quite a bit of physiological knowledge and was curious about the longterm effects of slacklining. He was particularly concerned about the deterioration of knees.

Now, granted, he also worries way to much about things. But all the same I'm now curious myself. Even if slacklining ripped up your knees after twenty years, I think I'd still be out there surfing the line, but it gives you something to think about.

Does anyone know what the long-term effects of slacklining are? Any medical evidence or studies? Can I still be an avid slackliner at sixty (please say yes)?

Just something I've been mulling about recently.

comments?

asandh

Jun 25, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Re: Long Term? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

florissantti

Jun 25, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny you should mention knees, as mine have really been hurting since starting to slackline about a week ago. i thought that perhaps i had just landed funny, but it may just be the stress of hopping up and landing hard. i've lowered the line as far as one would want it, so perhaps that will help.

hopefully my knees get un-sissified, since now that i can walk (the line, mate), it's a blast.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 25, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had a problem, and I slacked with Scott Balcom, who's been slacking for almost as long as ANYBODY, and he didn't appear to have a problem styling me into the ground. ;)

I've found that the older people get the less likely they are to try flips though. ;)

kenjo

Jun 26, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about testicles?

Nobody ever seems to care about the long term effects on testicles.

slackersrock

Jun 26, 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about testicles?

Nobody ever seems to care about the long term effects on testicles.

I care!
anybody use a cup when slacklining?

kenjo

Jun 26, 2005, 3:10 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used one once. Once. When the slackline came taught against the cup, it created a popping noise. Imagine thumping a rubber band against a tupperware and you'll get the picture.

After twenty seconds, the stomach pain came. Then the nausea. Then my inability to understand what people were saying, which direction was up, how to speak English.

That's all I recall before blacking out.

slackdaddy

Jun 29, 2005, 4:07 AM
Post #8 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started walking the line in 1983, I am now 42 years old and as coldclimb said I still walk. My knees feel great. I would say slacklining over the last twenty-two years has had long term effects, but they are all beneficial.

I think slackline has made my reaction speed much quicker, my balance much better and is a great meditaion/exercise for the long term.

I once had a shiatsu(sp) treatment, (a japanese healing art). To assess me, the lady doing the treatment started to push really hard all over by abdomon, from my ribs all the way down to my pelvic bone (I was prone on my back). This made me a little uncomfortable so I relaxed completly and thought of the balanced, relaxed feeling I feel while on the line. She stopped pressing on me and stood back, still looking at my belly she said I had the most beautifully balanced adomon. I laughed and told her about slackline.

There is no scientific evidence that I know about but the above story, for what it's worth, is true. If you are having pain in your knees maybe you are not relaxing enough.

As far as crotch spankings, I gave that up long ago, part of the increased reaction time and increased awareness. (I was still able to father a child).

If you want to see how hobbled my knees were after twenty years of slackline, click on my name and check out the pic of me riding the line, taken when I was 40.

Happy Slackin

gymslackerclimber

Jun 29, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems to me that slackining, if anything, strengthens and tones your body, muscles, joints.. especially for the long term.. although i am no doc. after like 10 mins on the line its equal to a little pushup-situp-streching-meditaion-warm up/work out... at least thats what i think,, actually walking the line is a hudge 'situp' work out,,, doing different moves and tricks one the line is proabably the most hardcore 'core' activities i do..

spottyfish

Jun 29, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Typically, the sports that are associated with long term knee damage are the ones that require repetitively stressful or "pounding" movements. We're talking sports like basketball (jumping), volleyball, and running.

With my knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, I would imagine that slacklining wouldn't be too detrimental to your knees in itself. But there is the potential for injury that could prove to be permanently detrimental to your knees if they are not properly strengthened.

Your knees may be sore after slacklining. But that's most likely becuase you're also using muscles in a way that you normally don't use them (unless the pain persists, then you may have injured something).

I'll save the anatomy/mechanism of injury lesson, but if you want one let me know :wink:

spottyfish

Jun 29, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also just did a quick search on slacklining in PubMed. Wasn't able to come up with any studies or journal publications relating to the subject.

Found lots of articles relating to rock climbing in general. Mostly dealing with upper body injuries, and one study entitled: "Climbing harness fit in kidney transplant recipients."...but nothing relating to slacklining...go figure :?

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 1, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 years of spending absurd amounts of time on a slackline has only strengthened my knees. As far as I can tell, it contributes to balanced muscle tone and is very low impact. The only thing I'd say to watch for are continued falls.

niles

Aug 1, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once dislocated my knee slacklining. Not too much fun. Before that I had dislocated both my knees (once in gymnastics, once in mountain biking), and once hyper-extended them both at the same time. In general my knees hate me and have good reason for it. All that said, having weak knees, I feel that slacklining has been my greatest source of therapy. I do as much as I can to strengthen the muscles around my knees, pretty much anything to keep my knee cap in place, and slacklining has been incredible for that. I've also found it to be good for my ankles for similar reasons.

However, that's looking at things from an entirely muscular perspective. I do wonder a little bit about what the irregular motion may do to cartilage.

Interestingly, slackdaddy, I went to a energy/spiritual/osteopathic healer once, and she said that I need to focus on being more "grounded." That I spend too much time in the air, so to speak. I think I should have her read the section in your book on balance.

Niles

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook