Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bustloose

Jun 29, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #26 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ethics issue: Feel free to reply [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this is sad. to all who said 'NO, DEAR GOD CHIPPING IS EVIL'... think, breathe, think again perhaps. take the issue in the context it was presented.

if i had the funds to buy a 20 foot high boulder and put it in my backyard, and it was blank...? damn right i would create me some bouldering problems...

we're not talking about chipping in the conventional sense here, we're talking about owning something and playing with it.

fishbelly

Jun 29, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #27 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you own the boulder do what you like,bolt on a ladder.
People who chip mistake selfishness for creativity.
Now could we we drill some nice discreet finger pockets

jcasper

Jun 29, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #28 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Second, chipping is not a good idea period. Many posts in this thread argue that since the hypothetical boulder was quarried, artificially created, then artificially creating holds (chipping, sculpting, however nice you'd like to make it sound) is justified. A problem arises with this argument when you consider the many quarries, temporarily and permanently abandoned, that are presently climbing areas. (Old quarries that are now climbing areas are all over, e.g Portland, OR, Boise, ID, all over the eastern US, and many more). In the above argument, chipping holds is okay at these areas since these 'crags' were artificially created to begin with. Not a good position to defend. I'm sure the locals who climb at abandoned quarries would have something to say to someone who started chipping on the local crag.

I agree with most of this, as my closest and most frequently visited crag is an old rock quarry, and I would not like the routes there chipped away (although I understand there are quite a few that were created by chipping back in the day). However, I think the question posed is different, as it is not an entire crag, but a personally "owned" boulder. Chipping it would only affect you and those you let climb on it, not an entire region of climbers. I guess it would kind of be a case of "local ethics" where the locale is your back yard and you are _the_ veteran of the area. :) As with almost any ethical debate about a resource, I think it should be decided by the entire community that uses the resource, with the most voice going to those that use it the most and have used it the longest.

I can see the argument of stupid people making the ethical leap from chipping a rock quarry to chipping natural crags... but to go from chipping a quarried boulder in your back yard to chipping a rock quarry that is used by an entire region of climbers would take enough of an idiot that he would probably chip anything anyway.

Summary: the argument that because the boulder was man-made to begin with makes it okay to chip, definitely not sufficient. The argument that because the boulder is your own personal man-made toy in your backyard, do what you want with it, yeah, I'll drink to that.

skinnyclimber

Jun 29, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #29 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

straightedge and jcasper. I am with you 100% on your statements. I now think my above comment is slightly lacking... Oh well. Thanks for posting good info and fleshing out the argument a bit.

(but I still say chip this particular boulder)

Robin

dingus

Jun 30, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #30 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you could steal the Columbia Boulder from Camp 4 in Yosemite (Midnight Lightning), how would you go about it?

If you were going to go to the trouble of transporting a granite boulder to Lincoln Nebraska, why not take a little extra time to find one more suited for climbing to begin with???

I mean, what's a few minutes out of your day?

DMT

dlintz

Jun 30, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #31 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL!!

To those of you who think the OP has an ulterior motive, he doesn't. It's a hypothetical situation and nothing more. As for the "memorial" boulder the sits in a local park...the only thing it lacks is height, not features.

Dingus, tall lattes go for $3.50 at the Mill and probably a little more at Starbucks, I haven't been there in a long time. 8^)

d.

craftedpacket

Jun 30, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #32 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone ever priced a boulder like this? I would be interested if it is even remotely affoardable.

zoratao

Jun 30, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #33 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric troll, who cares??????????? Is this actually a possibility???????? Have you looked into costs, why not just put up a wall?????

craftedpacket

Jul 1, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #34 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calm down buddy, it was only a question. Actually I care. I see around town businesses with small-medium sized boulders in their parking area for decoration and what not. I would be interested to see what these things cost. I know you can get 1 ton of gravel type rock for a little more then a few hundred bucks. I wasnt sure what one large rock would cost.

ronamick

Jul 1, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #35 of 35 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if i bought it and put it on my privare land id do whatever I wanted with it. A real rock beats a plywood wall any day. If its public access, leave it alone, it aint yours to mangle.
r

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook