RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

hyonj

Jul 15, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Indoor belay partner in Anchorage, AK?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm relatively new to climbing and this group but I recently joined the rock gym in Anchorage to top-rope. I'll be here for another month or so and am looking for a belay partner to top-rope. I'm climbing at 5.8, 5.9. If anyone is in the area and is interested in indoor climbing, PM me. Thanks.

micahmcguire

Jul 15, 2002, 6:47 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Indoor belay partner in Anchorage, AK? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the rock gyms here are run by a bunch of greedy bastards. You should go outside! I dont go to the gym during the summer or I'd belay you. Sorry

hyonj

Jul 15, 2002, 6:56 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would but I'm still relatively new that I like the safety aspect of the indoor gym. I had been informed that it was easy to find someone to partner up with at the gym before I got here, but now that I am here, I was told that people show up with partners and rarely will someone show up without a partner. I've already paid for the membership for another month, so, I'm stuck. I figure, at the worst, I'm lifting and bouldering. Maybe it'll help me with technique until I return to Minnesota. "When given lemons..." I don't think that I'd buy another membership when I visit though next time. Thanks for your reply.

[ This Message was edited by: hyonj on 2002-07-15 11:58 ]

rush

Jul 15, 2002, 7:17 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're just looking for a belayer so you can climb, you might find someone at the gym. When I climb indoors there's always someone at the gym to belay me. But if you're looking for a regular belaying partner then you should ask around, maybe even at the gym.

Good luck, and climb on.

Partner coldclimb

Jul 15, 2002, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want my short answer, skip to the end of the ranting.

First off, Alaska Rock Gym is a great gym. I've climbed there a lot, but nly during the winter. The summer is for outdoor climbing.

The safety aspect of gyms is way overated with people who don't know. My mom personally doesn't have a clue and thinks that toproping outdoors is hugely more dangerous than indoors. Indoor climbing is on ropes that have taken loads of use. Sure it was all on toprope, but you don't know the history of the ropes. They get stepped on all the time, used by inexperience climbers, and all sorts of stuff. I personally don't like that. Plus, it only works you out physically. You don't learn to identify good holds or actually contact real rock. I only go to the gym during the winter to keep in shape.

Outdoor climbing can be just as safe and much funner than indoor. If you find a good climbing area where you can set up a toprope on something solid, like a tree, then you've got it made. If you can hook up with someone from around here to belay you outdoors, climb with them. Climbing with experienced people teaches you things you don't learn in the gym. Check out the Seward Highway for some good climbing areas right outside Anchorage.

I think with all things considered, finding an experienced climber for a partner and climbing outdoors with them is the best way to start climbing. They will have gear, ropes, and knowledge to share with you.

I personally would love to have someone to climb with, but I have no time this summer. I'm leaving in two weeks for a month long vacation to Montana, and the only chance I have to climb is this saturday, when I'm going to Hatchers Pass to climb. Check out the Alaska section in the routes database for other people who live here that you could PM, and also a huge selection of places to climb.

Hope this helps.

Partner coldclimb

Jul 15, 2002, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also, just noticed you could check out this post by someone else in the area looking for a partner right now. Pretty good timing.

climber_chick

Jul 25, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would, but i can't...sorry.

hyonj

Jul 28, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I've been bouldering, concentrating on technique and lifting as well, so, it hasn't been too much of a disappointment. I've also had chances to climb every once in a while with some people. It's not all the time, but that's okay. I'm relatively new, so, I feel badly asking others to partner up because most of the people who show up seem pretty advanced.

Coldclimb - that link is for someone in the Bay area, California? Or am I wrong?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook