Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

samanddusti

Jul 15, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #1 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

slacklining=rockclimbing????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do not mean to sound arrogant or mean but I am having trouble understanding what slacklining has anything to do with rockclimbing. Other than the fact that they require similar gear, why is there a forum for slacklining on a ROCKCLIMBING website.

Just curious and not at all bashing slacklining.

hortisb

Jul 15, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacklining=rockclimbing???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand it either, but I figure it doesn't hurt anyone to have them on this website. So climb/slackline on!

Partner coldclimb

Jul 15, 2005, 9:23 PM
Post #3 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa, hey, look at the bottom where the search turns up a thread EXACTLY LIKE THIS. :lol: Then go do a search and find the other two-dozen. Go read all of them.

I should lock this, but I won't. :lol:

nd2boostt

Jul 15, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining works your core (and stabalizing) muscles while also teaching you how to balance and shift your body weight. It's probably not going to help you move up grades, but it does provide a nice alternative to other forms of "training".

Plus, it's fun to do between climbs :)

Partner coldclimb

Jul 15, 2005, 9:37 PM
Post #5 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do not mean to sound arrogant or mean but I am having trouble understanding what slacklining has anything to do with rockclimbing. Other than the fact that they require similar gear, why is there a forum for slacklining on a ROCKCLIMBING website.

Oh, and since I of course can't resist this delicious bait, I'll tell you. ;)

Sure there's the petty reasons like core strength, balance, and gear usage.

But most of all, slacklining is a climber's sport. It was invented by climbers, and because it's so young, it is practiced primarily by climbers worldwide. Check out any climbing area's campgrounds in the evening and you're likely to see a slackline up somewhere. Climber festivals generally have at least one line around. Rest days are often spent working the line. It is rare that you will ever find a non-climber who has heard of the sport.

And then of course there's the age-old question:

How did that line get up there???? 8^)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=40094

shank

Jul 15, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #6 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do not mean to sound arrogant or mean but I am having trouble understanding what slacklining has anything to do with rockclimbing.

Same thing gym climbing does, good training, and they have their own forum too.

Partner drector

Jul 15, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #7 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining uses some of the same gear but I think it is a totally different activity from rock climbing.

Climbing the rock to get there doesn't factor into it. If you climbed to get to a golf course, no one would say that golfing was related to rock climbing. It just happens to be done by rock climbers quite a bit but so does s**ting and that's not related to rock climbing either(except for that hard aid stuf where it is required!)

Dave

abalch

Jul 15, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #8 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Oh, and since I of course can't resist this delicious bait, I'll tell you. ;)

Sure there's the petty reasons like core strength, balance, and gear usage.

But most of all, slacklining is a climber's sport. It was invented by climbers, and because it's so young, it is practiced primarily by climbers worldwide. Check out any climbing area's campgrounds in the evening and you're likely to see a slackline up somewhere. Climber festivals generally have at least one line around. Rest days are often spent working the line. It is rare that you will ever find a non-climber who has heard of the sport.

And then of course there's the age-old question:

How did that line get up there???? 8^)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=40094

If I am not mistaken that picture is of a highline stretching from Monkeyface at Smith, right? Who is the person in the picture, and did they eventually succeed in walking that? Much respect for anyone good enough to walk a line that long, and that high.

Partner phaedrus

Jul 18, 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #9 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Slacklining.

Partner coldclimb

Jul 18, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #10 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I am not mistaken that picture is of a highline stretching from Monkeyface at Smith, right? Who is the person in the picture, and did they eventually succeed in walking that? Much respect for anyone good enough to walk a line that long, and that high.

Yep, you're spot on. That's Chris Hill, aka theturtle and yes, he did eventually send (although I didn't). Got to help Shawn Snyder set a 120 footer while we were there. Crazy slackers, and an awesome time.

And yes, we did some climbing too. :lol:

theturtle

Jul 18, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #11 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slacklining uses some of the same gear but I think it is a totally different activity from rock climbing.

Climbing the rock to get there doesn't factor into it. If you climbed to get to a golf course, no one would say that golfing was related to rock climbing. It just happens to be done by rock climbers quite a bit but so does s**ting and that's not related to rock climbing either(except for that hard aid stuf where it is required!)

Dave

Here goes…

First of all, unlike Golf, the modern sport of slackline was invented and developed by climbers. As a natural extension of climbing and slackline, climbers began to highline.
Often, in the middle of a highline, I wish that it was as easy as climbing or taking a sh*t.

Anyway, this has all been said before, Duh!

gymslackerclimber

Jul 18, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #12 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ever since my, daily routine was introduced to climbing,, as rock climbing has taking up more, and more of my life i have become to learn (at least)one thing that is crutial to climbing, and improvment of climbing... and that is FOCUS..

ITs all about focus,, and slacklinig is something that has no equal, nothing compairs to the level of commitment and focus factor that is required from walking a slackline...

when your eight feet above your last draw and pumped, the last thing you need for your physcy is doubt,,,,, or fear..

Highlining is the ultimate level of ,,,, commitment,, confidence,,,focus,,, having a clear(maybe even blank) physcy..

fear is paralyzing,,, you must be confident, and confidence is something slacklining,, at least in my view, is by far, the best thing to teach you that..

not to mention EVERY other aspect of salcklinig that is great for you mind body and soul

billypilgrim

Jul 19, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #13 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I completely agree about the focus idea. My leading ability on slab has gone up 2 letter grades since I started slacking. I attribute it directly to the focus I have gain with slacking.

rainontin

Jul 19, 2005, 2:08 AM
Post #14 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found proper punctuation totally improves the focus of my writing, and clears the heads of me fellow readers, boosting sight-reading ability tenfold.

dwebster

Jul 19, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #15 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="coldclimb"]
In reply to:
........It was invented by climbers, and because it's so young,.........

Yes, it may very well have been "invented" by climbers, though I wouldn't bet my life savings on it, slacklining is far from young. It's been around for at least 30 years. I see its sudden rise in popularity as being similar to bouldering in the sense that today's practitioners generally believe it is an emerging activity and that they are doing something different and cutting edge. Both are great fun but are not new.

On the matter of improving your climbing ability I think ones time is better spent bouldering and climbing, indoors or out. You can always find someone who will claim slacklining, Twinkie eating, or even kite flying somehow boosted their climbing ability. I think taking up any 'training' regime can and will improve ones climbing because they become more focused and determined to improve.

gymslackerclimber

Jul 19, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #16 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the matter of improving your climbing ability I think ones time is better spent bouldering and climbing, indoors or out. You can always find someone who will claim slacklining, Twinkie eating, or even kite flying somehow boosted their climbing ability. I think taking up any 'training' regime can and will improve ones climbing because they become more focused and determined to improve

well, respectfully,,, i dont think i can agree with that less...

unlike twinkie eating, kite flying, ball throwing, or doing a push up,, they all come (fairly) natural... none of them even come close to breaking the mental barriers and defying what are bodies have accepted as 'natural', as slacklining does..

pushing limits,,, breaking limits,,, creating new limits,,,

its all something that twinkie eating and (ready for this) conservative training methods dont produce..

Go wild, get extreme,,, walk the line!!!

jt512

Jul 19, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #17 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But most of all, slacklining is a climber's sport. It was invented by climbers

It was invented by circus performers. It was renamed by climbers.

-Jay

pbjosh

Jul 19, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #18 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining is a lot of fun and while many climbers are slackliners and vice versa, slacklining itself doesn't have a whole lot to do with climbing and calling it training is pretty silly. I don't think most World Cup caliber climbers hit the slackline regularly for a workout.

Partner tim

Jul 19, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #19 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This will degenerate into another idiotic ''skiing has nothing to do with climbing'' thread shortly, if history is any indication. Likewise, camping and hiking have nothing to do with climbing. Belaying off of one's bumper is the One True Way, preferably at the base of a bolted crack.

[/ducks]

pbjosh

Jul 19, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #20 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ever since my, daily routine was introduced to climbing,, as rock climbing has taking up more, and more of my life i have become to learn (at least)one thing that is crutial to climbing, and improvment of climbing... and that is FOCUS..

ITs all about focus,, and slacklinig is something that has no equal, nothing compairs to the level of commitment and focus factor that is required from walking a slackline...

when your eight feet above your last draw and pumped, the last thing you need for your physcy is doubt,,,,, or fear..

Highlining is the ultimate level of ,,,, commitment,, confidence,,,focus,,, having a clear(maybe even blank) physcy..

fear is paralyzing,,, you must be confident, and confidence is something slacklining,, at least in my view, is by far, the best thing to teach you that..

not to mention EVERY other aspect of salcklinig that is great for you mind body and soul

Good god man maybe spend some time working on spelling, grammar and punctuation.

wtf means physcy?

jt512

Jul 19, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #21 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wtf means physcy?

I hate to admit it, but I think I figured it out: psyche.

-Jay

greenketch

Jul 19, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #22 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

I can't quite agree with this. Tightrope or highwire has been around for some time and is often a circus act. Slackline is fairly modern.
Highwire requires strong focus and balance but that is somewhat passive often with tools or aids. When rigging, one takes several steps to keep the line as stable as possible.
Slack line requires a very active balance as the line moves around a lot. During setup, lateral stability is not a high concern and tools are not generally part of the picture.

Just two weeks ago I helped rig a highwire for a circus. I tried their line and found it very much differant. Later I let their "artists" try a slackline and they thought I was crazy.

I find that the strongest overlap with climbing is that climbing is largely about acurate placement and smooth transfer of weight. Slackline is a good excercise of the same things.

jt512

Jul 19, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #23 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I find that the strongest overlap with climbing is that climbing is largely about acurate placement and smooth transfer of weight.

I can see some similarity with slab climbing, especially if you don't use your hands.

-Jay

veganboyjosh

Jul 19, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #24 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"The Irwin Brothers (James and William) were from England and immigrated to the US in 1865 with their parents (parents may have been circus people as well?) William was born circa 1860. William Irwin later married Sarah Agnes Wilson of Buffalo, NY and were billed as "The American Tops". He worked on the trapeze, while balancing on his head and jugglng, while his wife suspended his trapeze from her mouth bit. As well, he worked on a slack wire with one end suspended from his wife's mouth bit."

from www.circushistory.org

i wouldn't be surprised to find other earlier examples of slackline/rope walking.

Partner drector

Jul 19, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #25 of 39 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

I can't quite agree with this. Tightrope or highwire has been around for some time and is often a circus act. Slackline is fairly modern.
Highwire requires strong focus and balance but that is somewhat passive often with tools or aids. When rigging, one takes several steps to keep the line as stable as possible.
Slack line requires a very active balance as the line moves around a lot. During setup, lateral stability is not a high concern and tools are not generally part of the picture.

Just two weeks ago I helped rig a highwire for a circus. I tried their line and found it very much differant. Later I let their "artists" try a slackline and they thought I was crazy.

I find that the strongest overlap with climbing is that climbing is largely about acurate placement and smooth transfer of weight. Slackline is a good excercise of the same things.

There are references on the web related to circus acts indicating that the slack rope and slack wire existed prior to the trapese which showed up in the mid 1850's in the US. There are many references to the slack rope and slack wire being of the earliest circus acts of this type.

Dave

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook