RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

aj_77

Jul 17, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

4 Season Tents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going to be buying a new tent soon and need a little input. I am looking for a 2 person, 4 season tent to be used both for climbing and for backpacking. I know it would be better to have a 3 season tent for backpacking and a 4 season for climbing, but that isn't really an option so I will take the hit and carry the extra weight. I live in Montana so most of my experience has been in the Rockies, but I am moving to Washington and am hoping to do some climbing in the Cascades. The two tents I am looking at are the Marmot Thor 2P and the Mountain Hardware Annapurna. I am a bit concerned about ventilation in these tents if I used them in the summer. I was looking at the Sierra Designs Omega Light, but was thought that it probably would be torn apart in a storm on Rainier. Any thoughts on either of these tents or another tent that might fit the bill?

Thanks, Andrew

kobaz

Jul 17, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: 4 Season Tents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Basicly any 4 season tent is going to suck in the summer unless you keep the door open.

renohandjams

Jul 18, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Basicly any 4 season tent is going to suck in the summer unless you keep the door open.
Except, black diamond tents. I have a Bibler ahwahnee 4 season, 2 man. It only weighs around 6 lbs. I go camping during the hot summer every weekend with my wife and she MAKES me sleep with the tent totally zipped with zero vetilation. The single wall tent is breathable enough that we sleep fine and have little problems with condensation. It has a vent towards the top that can be wide open even when it's raining hard.

I would recommend going with one of the new superlight BDEL tents like the Light House. It only weighs 3 lbs 12 oz and has been proven on climbs like K2. It's only $369 too which is an awesome deal for what you get.

I had to make a similar choice like you between an MSR tent and the BIBLER series and I am so glad I went with BIBLER. Now I would recommend the BDEL superlight series over Bibler and I can't wait to try them out. Go find a shop close by that carries them in stock and check them out. You'll buy one on the spot.

my 2 cents.

chanceboarder

Jul 18, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've got a sierra design omega tent. its a 3-4 season convertible tent. i've used it in the snow and cold weather and have had complaints and i've also used it in the heat of the summer with no complains either. its nice to have a tent you can use year around. i've got the older version which is like 6 lbs 13 oz something like that but i guess they just came out with a new light version that comes in under 6 lbs. i think rei carries both of them.

omerdimsum

Jul 18, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Marmot Swallow 3+season convertible.

I primarily car camp with it, so the weight doesnt affect me. I have yet to try it an alpine snow dumps, so unsure about that...

But what I can tell you is that this tent is amazing for all weather experiences thus far, including cold J-Tree nights, hot summer nights/days and major rainshowers.

Well ventilated AND 3/4 season convertible; only $249 at REI.

ctowles

Jul 19, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the msr fusion 2. its a little over 6 lbs or so, and it is burly. this thing in 4 season mode is burly...gemoetry is strong...sleeves instead of clips make it even stronger, and the 4 season high low venting is great for keeping condensation out. the materials are top notch, and you will not be concerned with durability. in the summer, you can zip out the roof panel and the entire back of the tent making it a a sweet ventilated summer shelter. its just as light as the annapurna, but way more versitle.
chris

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook