RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

thrmaln

Aug 1, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Kettlebell workout for climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

I would like to work on my core body strength and get rid of that spare tire around my mid section and it looks like the kettlebell may be what I am looking for. I currently cycle for my cardio to help drop pounds, but I need to tone as well. Is anyone using a Kettlebell. Have you seen improvements? Any books or videos you would reccomend? Any specialized workout for climbers.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

icarus_burned

Aug 2, 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Re: Kettlebell workout for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

any book by pavel tsatsouline will do the trick

im particularly fond of his naked warrior book for bdyweight excercise, awesome workout......

Partner kimgraves

Aug 3, 2005, 2:09 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’ve tried both kettlebell and PTTP modalities. While both of them are great workouts (and fun), I didn’t find them particularly helpful for climbing. Maybe I just didn't do them long enough. What I have found useful is yoga. Not what you wanted to hear? If you do kettlebell, I suggest using a heart monitor at first. It's incredible cardio.

Best, Kim

coloredchalker

Aug 3, 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep us posted on how that works. I'm pretty interested.

thrmaln

Aug 3, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Kim,

Thanks for the great reply. My main goal is to use them to drop some pounds around the midsection and build up strength in my arms and torso. My legs are good and strong since I cycle. My body flexibility is improving as my spare tire is diminishing, but I still can barlely touch my toes. I did yoga regularly before I got into climbing and plan to start up again soon. Working a desk job staring at a computer is taking its toll so I need to move towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'll order the Kettlebell soon and see how it works for me.

Climb safe,

Marc

Partner kimgraves

Aug 3, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Marc,

Swinging a kettlebell is a real rush! It’s “kinetic” in a way almost nothing else is. As cardio it’s more intense than anything else I’ve done in the gym. So take it easy! That’s why I recommend using a heart monitor to keep yourself in the 85% range of your Max Heart Rate. It’s easy to max out which is dangerous (If you don’t know what I’m talking about here – I’ll be happy to expound).

But if you really want to loose the spare tire, exercise, while indispensable, is not sufficient. You must also change the way you eat. You must give up high glycemic carbs in favor of low glycemic ones. You should eat more often: 4-5 times a day rather than the usual 2-3. People gain body fat because their blood sugar levels and insulin levels are unstable. That means, no sugar, no flour or flour products (bread, cake, pasta, etc), no corn, no potatoes, no bananas or watermelon, no beer. High glycemic carbs get absorbed too fast spiking your sugar and insulin levels which leads to fat storage. The good news is you can eat everything else and as much of it as you want including 1-2 glasses of wine per day. Atkins is a good place to start (a used copy will only cost you $.01!) with advanced lessons later: i.e. drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, getting enough sunshine; reducing stress levels; etc.

Best, Kim

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook