Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner drector

Aug 3, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #26 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Re: I wanted to free-solo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dave,

Just out of curiousity, was your argument with your wife about, say, climbing? 8^)

No. It was about our relashionship, our child, how we deal with problems, sex, and my being a bit lazy. Big misunderstanding that we resolved an hour ago with make-up sex. The problems are not resolved but at least we're talking. Or grunting at least.

Dave

Partner drector

Aug 3, 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #27 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My wife was really pissed at me yesterday. So pissed that I started thinking about the future of our relationship. Then I got this urge to climb free-solo. I really wanted to get out my agression and anger and I needed to get the adrenaline out of my system. The rock was calling to me.

It took me a few minutes to understand why free-soling had come to mind. I needed to feel strong. She had made me feel weak and out-of-control. Free-soloing that route would have made me feel powerful when I needed that feeling the most.

I didn't do it. I'm not a slave to my emotions. It was the first time I'd actually felt like doing it instead of just thinking about doing it which was interesting.

Dave

then you are climbing for all the wrong reasons!!!!!!!

adrenaline WILL kill you....it makes you lose your focus and in a free-solo you need your mental zen to be pure and calm.......

go boulder or go to a gym and work out if your frustrated, keep yourself and your blood off the rock because other people want to climb for better reasons

I didn't get this at all. I climb all the time because I love climbing. I didn't go free solo from anger because it would have been stupid. I don't free solo normally for other reasons.

So did you miss the last line that said I didn't do it?

But you make a good point about how climbing that way could be a problem. I won't argue with that.

Dave

equal_1

Aug 3, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #28 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know i am no were near the skill level of free-solo in anyones mind ... but it came to me that if i ever did try it , i think i would keep that little bit of information for me and the ones that happen to see me if the time came that is ..... the only reason i can see going out and blabbing hey i free-or soloed this or that would be if it where like the some wicked stuff like el Capitan or something like that .( you get my point)

i just don't see any reason to worry those around you that care about your well being for something that you know you aren't going to be doing every time you climb and will save for special moments when you know you can do it .... so ease those minds and hearts of those that look at you like you are crazy just climbing ... let alone thinking about solo climbs.... just my two cents.

oklahoma

Aug 3, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #29 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Interesting. It makes me wonder how many women are driven to free solo by this type of situation. Wasn't there an issue in Climbing or Rock and Ice about stories of broken relationships driving men to free solo? I just can't recall hearing stories about women going this route. But I guess you're not alone, right?

You've never heard the stories cause when women climb something, nobody talks cause nobody cares.

abisharat

Aug 3, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #30 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I solo only when I'm happy. very happy

wonderwoman

Aug 3, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #31 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You've never heard the stories cause when women climb something, nobody talks cause nobody cares.

What-evah! Do you take off your skirt to go climbing?

In reply to:
No. It was about our relashionship, our child, how we deal with problems, sex, and my being a bit lazy. Big misunderstanding that we resolved an hour ago with make-up sex. The problems are not resolved but at least we're talking. Or grunting at least.

Do you think maybe you wanted to do it to make her worry? Or worse, feel bad if something (god forbid) were to happen to you?

Just some thoughts that crossed my mind.

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 3, 2005, 4:43 AM
Post #32 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

then you are climbing for all the wrong reasons!!!!!!!

adrenaline WILL kill you....it makes you lose your focus and in a free-solo you need your mental zen to be pure and calm.......

Adrenaline and strong emotion "can" cause people to loose focus some times. But I think it's important to realize it's not inevitiable. Adrenaline and strong emotions can also enhance focus (because there is more "energy" avialable). To me the ability to focus is a skill that can be practiced independent of emotional state. For me it's not emotions that cause loss of focus it's preconceptions about emotions or what "should" be happening that interfer with focus. To me trying to stay calm is a distraction staying focused regardless of wheather I am calm or not is the point and generally brings a certian kind of peace.

Anyway I'm not blanketly agianst people soloing when they are emotional. I think it's probably a horrible idea for some people and may be a reasonable practice for others. Being mistaken about how you deal with emotions/fear while free soloing can be a very bad thing however.

interesting points......i'm from the school of thought that emotions are a destraction.....(which to me, has notthing to do with safety, or comfort: its about choices and reactions and being in control..., its just the way i work on the rock....there's notthing between me and the rock so to speak)....i'm from the jedi-rock-warrior-ninji point of view (hell that should be my new sig!)

extrasketch

Aug 3, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #33 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yet another rc.com soloing thread

effing wanks

ajkclay

Aug 3, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #34 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Dave,

Just out of curiousity, was your argument with your wife about, say, climbing? 8^)

Dave

It's amazing how the grunting during make-up sex can solve so many issues that words just can't...

Is it a race memory thing this grunting language? Something primal?

ajkclay

Aug 3, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #35 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
It took me a few minutes to understand why free-soling had come to mind. I needed to feel strong. She had made me feel weak and out-of-control. Free-soloing that route would have made me feel powerful when I needed that feeling the most.

Interesting. It makes me wonder how many women are driven to free solo by this type of situation. Wasn't there an issue in Climbing or Rock and Ice about stories of broken relationships driving men to free solo? I just can't recall hearing stories about women going this route. But I guess you're not alone, right?

I'll bite - and take the slap on the back of the head;

That's probably because most women don't have to deal with the frustrating vagaries of a female partner 8^)

g-funk
Deleted

Aug 3, 2005, 5:20 AM
Post #36 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I just can't recall hearing stories about women going this route. But I guess you're not alone, right?

That's probably because most women don't have to deal with the frustrating vagaries of a female partner 8^)

Truth it is you speak young Skywalker!

slcliffdiver

Aug 3, 2005, 7:04 AM
Post #37 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
interesting points......i'm from the school of thought that emotions are a destraction.....(which to me, has notthing to do with safety, or comfort: its about choices and reactions and being in control..., its just the way i work on the rock....there's notthing between me and the rock so to speak)....i'm from the jedi-rock-warrior-ninji point of view (hell that should be my new sig!)

Forget, about being a ninja or jedi, erasing emotion be her.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=43729
Photo of Kaitlyn by climbsomething

At least that's what I inspire to be like more of the time. This is the best way as far as I'm concerned to get the most out of any form of climbing. The reason I talk so much about focus is because ultimately it brings a certian "feeling" of well being and joy regardless of your intial or immeadiate emotional state. Even intense fear can become very fun with the correct focus.

climbsomething

Aug 3, 2005, 7:13 AM
Post #38 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GO KAITLYN!!

dylanransom

Aug 3, 2005, 7:54 AM
Post #39 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was getting over a horrible marraige/divorce, and did start to free solo (this was about two years ago). I kidded my myself about my motivations and whatnot, and definitely did it for the wrong reasons. I never did anything approaching my limits, yet, in the spirit of unintended consequences, actually came close to dying.

I'm glad that part of my life is over....

wonderwoman

Aug 3, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #40 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I just can't recall hearing stories about women going this route. But I guess you're not alone, right?

Truth it is you speak young Skywalker!

So, have you guys switched teams yet or started a support group?

jelliott

Aug 3, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #41 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So, have you guys switched teams yet or started a support group?

Yes there is a support group it's called climbing (solo or otherwise) and the group meets for beer at the fire afterwards

As for switching teams that up to you guys I stay just where I am

-just my 2 cents

Partner angry

Aug 3, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #42 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is sooo stupid. 1000 DURRRRRings to you and your offspring.

Soloing a route is not the equivalent of putting a gun to your head. This thread makes it sound like it is.

Soloing a route is about trust in your body and respect for your life. It will not make you feel strong and powerful. It won't fix your ego. It won't prove anything.

If you don't understand this, you aren't ready. And yes, it's OK that so many are never ready.

Partner drector

Aug 3, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #43 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What-evah! Do you take off your skirt to go climbing?

In reply to:

Do you think maybe you wanted to do it to make her worry? Or worse, feel bad if something (god forbid) were to happen to you?

Just some thoughts that crossed my mind.

Absolutely not. I have at times wanted to make her feel bad about making me feel bad but this was not one of them.

Dave

smith_curry

Aug 3, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #44 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you FSHIZZILE...... Free soloing is about being free......Plus after years of climbing in the mountains, the line between soloing and just climbing gets very blurry......
Smith

Partner drector

Aug 3, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #45 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should be very specific since this got into a stupid discussion about free-solo climbing and it's dangers. This has absolutely nothing to do with climbing safety.

I felt the need to accomplish something difficult. Something mentally and emotionally difficult. If I had felt the need for danger than I would have thought about sky diving or something else I have not done that would have given me a huge rush. No. This was about the need to overcome my own fear and have that lead to success. I would have been happy with a route I've led and top roped 50 times. It would have still made me feel in control of my emotions and my actions.

I brought up this thread because this was not at all because of the desire to be in a dangerous spot nor the desire to kill someone at the post office or make my wife fear for my life. That's why I found it interesting. That's why I though others would find it interesting.

Damn, that post office thing was sure funny though.

Dave

sick_climba

Aug 4, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #46 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeha i now how that feels, i climb for that reason in general a lot to get out anger and stuff but thats why i used to free solo becasue it took me out of chaos, (mind you it could have put me in more :shock: ) so i would go out find some rock and climb it. it works it really does but there are ther ways no one emotion like that is worth deing over.
climb on
Chris

lightgreen

Aug 4, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #47 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this reminded me of something I've been kicking around my head for a while - what would you say that climb is rated where the Marine is free-soloing? you know the one.

lightgreen

Aug 4, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #48 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I should specify, I'm talking about the commercial where the Marine is climbing in some hellish version of the Grand Canyon or something.

bighigaz

Aug 4, 2005, 2:09 AM
Post #49 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe, the post office... hehehehehehehhahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I considered soloing after an engagement broke up. Even had the crag picked out. The urge seemed to stay with me for a while, but for some reason I didn't get around to it. I think my climbing improved as a result, though...

Then I met my wife, now I have a daughter. Sometimes I want to head to the right crag and just go with the flow, but my mind wanders back to my family, and I keep the rope on.

Maybe I missed my opportunity? Maybe the perfect opportunity just hasn't shown itself.

I think you just have to know when it's the right time, and be happy climbing with a rope even if the right time never comes.

Besides, every time I flash, onsight, or redpoint a route, I just say to myself, "well then, I could have just soloed that route... the gear was just slowing me down... maybe next time."

Then I go home to my wife and daughter.

I love life! If you decide to solo, keep that love for life with you, I think you'll be better off.

jt512

Aug 4, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #50 of 55 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I considered soloing after an engagement broke up. Even had the crag picked out. The urge seemed to stay with me for a while, but for some reason I didn't get around to it.

DURRR5 for the post. DURRR7 for the thread.

Climbing: It's not just a way to live, it's a way to die.
Give it f'ing up already!

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook