RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

topramen

Aug 3, 2005, 3:37 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Slip hitch for equalizing anchors?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was reading Andy Selters book " GLACIER TRAVEL & CREVASSE RESCUE. On page 82 there is a illustration using a slip hitch to connect a backup anchor to your primary anchor. I've always used the sliding X and figure 8 to equalize pro and have never seen this used before. Is anyone familiar with the slip hitch tension backup system. If so how do I tie the knot ? Are there any good web pages that show how this knot is tied correctly? Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks

iceisnice

Aug 4, 2005, 2:35 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slip hitch for equalizing anchors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd have to see the pic cuz there are several systems like the one you are describing. i'm assuming you are talking about the release hitch that allows you to unweight the prusik on the mainline? if so, there are a couple of different ones you can use (i.e. Radium Release Hitch, Prussel Prusik). if there isn't a good diagram on how to tie it, check out some SAR High Angle Rescue materials. Those knots are used fairly often in that context. not sure if that helps.

topramen

Aug 5, 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Re: Slip hitch for equalizing anchors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It states that it is to be used when a primary anchor is already loaded , you can connect a backup anchor with tension so that it shares the load. It is described as follows....

1.set a backup anchor behind the first

2run wedding from a biner on the backup through a new biner on the primary, then back towards the backup anchor.

3 pull hard on this runner creating tension between both, then clip it into the backup anchors biner.

4 while maintaining the tension, tie off the runner with a slip hitch.

I'd post a pic of the illustration , but can't scan the picture.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook