Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bgraham

Aug 10, 2005, 1:13 PM
Post #26 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Re: Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

we're out there. don't get discouraged. it is kind of funny howi am sending out encouragement on this matter when i am constantly batteling it. i am around 5'2 5'3 and i weigh in at 135. which believeme is not all muscle. but i'm strong. i know i am and i always remind myself of that. i may not look good in a bathing suit, but who wears one when they are climbing??
i go through alot of spurts with climbing. i love it but find myself cutting back on the sport which makes me fee gross but as soon as i go out again, i feel my body adjusting again and even when i step on the scale and don't notice a difference, i feel better and i think that reflects on my physical image.
just have fun. and keep climbng!

Partner booger

Aug 10, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #27 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that the more amazed I am with what my body can do, the less I care about how it looks.

Even when I climb like sh*t, I'm thrilled that I'm out there doing something that most people don't have the guts to try... and I look a hell of a lot better doing it than a hairy, sweaty guy :shock: (who's probably climbing without any footwork whatsoever) :wink:

*just edited for grammar...

harmonydoc

Aug 12, 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #28 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I've been lurking about this site for a few months, finally decided to start posting. I'm a NOOB, and my new climbing obsession evolved out of several changes in my life - got a less stressful job, joined Weight Watchers and went from a size 12 to a 6 (in about 9 months), got more and more into working out and seeing what my body could achieve. Getting enough sleep was also a big part of my losing weight - I discovered when I'm tired I overeat to compensate for how crummy I feel. Now I'm quite muscular looking, and proud of it! Not that this means I'm a great climber - still pump out fast on overhangs at the gym, still learning footwork, efficiency of movement - but I'm getting better all the time.

Anyway, don't let the way your body looks stop you from doing what you love. And it is possible to change your shape (within limits defined by your genetics) - for me, it was about making some big changes to reduce the stresses in my life enough to be able to do all the common sense things like reduce calories and exercise more.

goofyc

Aug 20, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #29 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can understand about the concern with the extra weight. I am around 5'5" and weigh 172lb. I have been trying to get this extra weight off but have not been able to do it. My schedule is so hectic I am unable to create a good routine of exercise and diet. I have been watching what I eat and have avoided the need to snack while visiting with friends. This has helped me maintain my current weight but I still want to lose at least another 40lbs. I am currently a size 11 and want to get back down to a size 8. P

gblauer

Aug 20, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #30 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have found that the more amazed I am with what my body can do, the less I care about how it looks.

Even when I climb like sh*t, I'm thrilled that I'm out there doing something that most people don't have the guts to try... and I look a hell of a lot better doing it than a hairy, sweaty guy :shock: (who's probably climbing without any footwork whatsoever) :wink:

*just edited for grammar...

Amen.

switch11

Aug 20, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #31 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hate to say it, but...

Eat less! Excercise More!

It is the only thing that consistently works

If you are 5.4 and weigh 175.....get it under control! And Keep climbing! 4 days a week, two evenings indoors and two outdoors will have you fit in no time.

climbing_lotus

Aug 26, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #32 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my new favourite thread! I thought I was the only girl at the gym with a ponch! I went from underweight (from an eatting disorder) to overweight...... now I'm trying to find some balance. It's hard, especially when you're pulling up over an overhang and your flab pops out over your harness...... ick.... but you know.... keep with it. Know that we are out there, us rounded climbers, and that it doesn't matter how we look, as long as we can climb like maniacs! Hope you're fight goes well! But remember, HAVE FUN! what else matters?

climbgirl_osu

Aug 30, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #33 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All! I've always been athletic but when I got to college, almost 4 years, that all changed I put on some weight and started smoking; it also doesn't help that my family has "hips and an a$$". I couldn't find a workout routine that helped, then I started climbing in March, and have been ubber serious since I've been in the southwest and boy can I tell a difference. I also quit smoking in June and haven't thought about it since. I may not look quite like I want to but I feel like I want to. I definitely understand that "feeling"; I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs, but I feel good and that makes it all okay. I go to the gym and focus on climbing and improving and when I make it to the top of a new 5.8 or give it my best on a 5.9 I forget about what I look like or how much I SHOULD lose and focus on the next climb. When I feel good, I'm more motivated to climb harder and work out more! So, just keep with it; as long as you FEEL good the LOOKING good will follow. We are doing something a lot of people wouldn't dream of; at least not where I'm from. Keep Climbing...Sorry this post is "late" but I just found this thread!

harmonydoc

Aug 31, 2005, 2:51 AM
Post #34 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbgirl, 5'7" 150 lb actually falls within the normal range for body mass index (BMI), you're not technically overweight. The body changes from high school to college, it's unreasonable to expect to stay the shape you were at 16. That said, it's likely your eating habits changed, as well as your stress levels, when you went to college (I know this happened to me ... finals ... midnight pizza runs ...)

You've taken a positive step by making exercise (climbing) a priority, as well as quitting smoking. However, you should also pay attention to what you eat - eventually excessive or unbalanced eating habits will catch up with you.

"Eat less, exercise more" sounds trite, but I'll second Switch in saying it's the only real solution, and you have to pay attention to both diet and exercise to be at your physical best. I've learned this through experience. My mother is overweight, and I gained significant weight during my college/gradute school years. I thought my weight was somewhat determined by genetics, plus I ate a lot in response to stress. I was not exactly sedentary - I worked out somewhat sporadically, though. After 2 years at a job that was not a good fit for me I hit 175 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I changed jobs, my stress level decreased, and I joined Weight Watchers (which they offered through my workplace), and I increased my exercise to 5-6 days a week. Now (10 months later) I weigh 135 pounds and am in the best shape of my life. What did I do? Basically, I ate less and exercised more! Simple to say, hard to do, but nothing is impossible if you are committed to change and make yourself a priority.

kimmyt

Aug 31, 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #35 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is my new favourite thread! I thought I was the only girl at the gym with a ponch! I went from underweight (from an eatting disorder) to overweight...... now I'm trying to find some balance. It's hard, especially when you're pulling up over an overhang and your flab pops out over your harness...... ick.... but you know.... keep with it. Know that we are out there, us rounded climbers, and that it doesn't matter how we look, as long as we can climb like maniacs! Hope you're fight goes well! But remember, HAVE FUN! what else matters?

Ahhh... the belly rolls.

I used to be overweight. Okay, I still am, but since I started working out regularly and biking in to work and going to the climbing gym twice a week and climbing almost every weekend, I've dropped about 15 lbs. I still don't eat 'less'. In fact, sometimes I think I eat more because my metabolism seems boosted so much.

Anyway, when I first started climbing, I'd see these girls, these beautiful strong muscular women parading around in tight leggings and sports bras. They looked amazing, and i wanted to be one of them. Problem was, they were built long and lean, and I was built short and dumpy. So, basically, I'd never look like them.

It was when I first took the step to working out and training physically for climbing (because just climbing wasn't allowing me to get better and I figured I would at least try and raise my personal fitness level so that maybe my climbing level would rise as well) that I started to see the true beauty in my own body. Rolls and everything.

This past season I've become so much more comfortable in my own body, knowing that while it may not look like anyone elses, it's still pretty okay in it's own right. I even went so far as to buy sports bras. The kind you wear without shirts over top. I figured, if I'm going to be climbing in the heat of the summer, there's no way I'm suffering in a long tank top with my belly all sweaty just because I thought someone might think my belly rolls looked funny.

So I bought my little sports bras, and I wore them, and I felt great. And, yeah, I saw a picture someone took of me leading in one of them, and I said, 'Man look at that back fat!' but that sure as hell doesn't stop me from wearing them, because it's my freaking body, and despite the jello-like consistency of some parts of it, I think it's pretty okay as far as bodies go.

So, love your body, no matter what type you have. It's a constantly changing, amazing thing.

Ok, end of feel-good message, back to my normal morning moodiness (they must have put something in the coffee today!)

K.

clee03m

Aug 31, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #36 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe someone commented on your back fat. I see so many freaking men with a lotta fat not just in the back climbing without their shirts on.

maculated

Aug 31, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #37 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay guys, this website looks like cheese, but the advice he had was sound so I got ahold of the ebook. Even JT512 would approve of his advice.

It's a lot more involved than eat less - because you know that if you eat less and exercise more, you'll end up pretty weak in the end. At least not with a plan. If you're truly interested in healthfully losing weight, this is a great source.

http://www.burnthefat.com/

Partner macherry

Aug 31, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #38 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just a bit skeptical mac....the pitch is like may others out there on the internet.. what makes this guy's stuff "the golden ticket".

harmonydoc

Aug 31, 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #39 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course "eat less" is an oversimplification. Compared to how I was eating a year ago I'd say:

I eat FEWER calories overall.
I eat MORE frequently.
I eat MORE protein containing foods.
I eat MORE calcium containing foods.
I eat LOWER fat foods.
I eat MORE fiber containing foods.
I eat LESS refined sugar. (Although, I admit I still have a weakness for sweet and probably go overboard on the artificial sweeteners.)

Of course it's no good to starve yourself if you're engaging in athletic pursuits. You must eat enough to fuel your activities. But activity isn't a license to overindulge in unhealthful foods and not see the result on your body.

Educate yourself on nutrition and exercise. Be skeptical of quick fixes. Find your own balance. Everyone's path is a little different, but if you commit to change, you may achieve more than you thought possible. I did.

OK, I'll shut up and get back to work now ...

harmonydoc

Sep 1, 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #40 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, one more post. I looked at that website mentioned above. There may be some good information buried in there somewhere, but it is awfully sensationalistic, and of course he is selling something. Things that raise red flags for me:

1) He uses very black and white language "always", "never", "best and worst foods", "impossible".
2) He promises "simple, amazingly effective tricks".
3) He implies there is some sort of conspiracy out there that is holding keeping people from reaching their goals. That there are "secrets" no one is telling you.
4) He promises a "secret mental training formula", "no 'willpower' required".

All of this implies that if you shell out your $39.00 he will do the rest, the process will be almost effortless on your part. After all this he has the temerity to call his program "no hype". Yeah, right.

I can tell you the "secret" to successfully changing your body. It is not the details of the specific plan for healthful eating and activity you follow that matter, it matters that you STICK TO the plan in the long run. And IT'S NOT EASY. It's about making permanent changes, so the very idea of a "diet" is flawed, since it incorporates the idea that the change is temporary. I didn't go on a diet. I made long-term changes in my eating and exercise habits. I weight train. I am always conscious of my food choices. If I want to eat a piece of cake, I make the choice consciously, there is no food that is BAD by itself. It's about the flexbility to indulge in certain foods when you really want to (otherwise you will not stick with the changes you've made), coupled with overall restraint and constant awareness.

Sorry I'm rambling on, I'm fairly passionate about this. I've been through negative body image, destructive eating habits, lots of issues. I've finally found a balance at this point in my life, and I want everyone to find their path to optimum health.

lhwang

Sep 1, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #41 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some food for thought (ha! okay, I know I'm terrible).

The year 2000 was the first year in recorded history where the percentage of obese people worldwide exceeded the percentage of people who are starving or malnourished.

Americans have spent more than $33 billion on dieting and related products.

I can't speak from personal experience but from the people I talk to in clinic, it sounds like it is really tough to lose weight, and I have nothing but admiration for people who commit themselves to making a long-term lifestyle change and make it happen.

Interesting side note, climbing burns about 700 calories per hour.

Partner macherry

Sep 1, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #42 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with you harmony doc. seems like a flashy fix.

what worked for me:
increase activity
weight training
BIG difference: smaller meal portions and eating more frequently
cut out junk, but i still enjoy donuts and the like....but now it's not a meal choice
better food choices.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 1, 2005, 2:11 AM
Post #43 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to my mother's over the summer for one week. While their I tore out her Kitchen. You would think a week of tearing out walls and cabnets(we tore out the entire interior of her house) one would loose weight. I found myself eating a lot of flour based foods. I gained 5 lbs! Should have climbed instead.

So I decided I had to get back to my yougurt and chocolate diet. For breakfast I eat whole milk yogurt with fruit and wheat germ. then I have some strong protien and vegies for lunch and dinner. I eat dark chocolate anytime I want.

I'm a much happier camper- and I'm full a lot more often.

I have nothing against bread- but really I think filling fiber and protien is what does the trick, and a good syrah.

ecocliffchick

Sep 1, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #44 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I used to think all the diet books were just stupid, I have to admit that the Zone has worked for me. I'm 5.11 and weighed 150-155 lbs for several years - Not overweight, not underweight, but definitely not ripped like some climber chicks (I had 28% body fat).

I went on the Zone when I was injured (April) and couldn't walk let alone climb. Now that I'm back to climbing (and walking and biking and hiking) and I'm continuing to eat in the Zone the excess flab is just falling off. I haven't lost any muscle (my lean mass has stayed the same) but I've gone from 28% body fat to 20% (I weight 135 now). Give it a try.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 1, 2005, 5:27 AM
Post #45 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As much as I used to think all the diet books were just stupid, I have to admit that the Zone has worked for me. I'm 5.11 and weighed 150-155 lbs for several years - Not overweight, not underweight, but definitely not ripped like some climber chicks (I had 28% body fat).

Interesting. When I weighed 150 I had like, 10% body fat. Then I had kids and the body is just now recovering.

But before I had kids I thought diets were stupid too. I even looked at my over weight friends, talking about diets, like they were insane. I have been greatly humbled. And to those out their worse off than myself, my sincerest apologies for my previous attitude. (Just don't give me the "but I have a slow metabolism" line.)

motivation line for us all: :P THINK TOUGH! END UP BUFF! :P

maculated

Sep 1, 2005, 6:45 AM
Post #46 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, I thought it was flashy and sensationalistic, too. That's why I got ahold of a copy (note I didn't say "bought) of the ebook. Wink wink wink wink.

It's actually well worth reading. However you get it. He's just a shitty marketer.

Partner macherry

Sep 1, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #47 of 47 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yup, I thought it was flashy and sensationalistic, too. That's why I got ahold of a copy (note I didn't say "bought) of the ebook. Wink wink wink wink.

It's actually well worth reading. However you get it. He's just a s--- marketer.

okay mac, spread the word....what makes the plan work? I'm not about the shell out 39 bucks

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook