Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Philmont Ranch climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

brianthew

Jul 24, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Philmont Ranch climbing  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all.

In a few weeks I'm going to be at the Philmont Scout Ranch by Cimarron, NM. I curious if anybody here knows about the bouldering conditions in that area; it's a Boy Scout backpacking ranch with lots of rock. I've seen photos of the area, and there seems to be lots of potential...I intend on packing my rock shoes. Perhaps there is another boy scout scout climber here that visited Philmont with the same intentions? If so, beta is much appreciated...

snapier

Jul 24, 2002, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Philmont Ranch climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't help you out that much...my brother went to Philmont probably about 10 years ago and I know that was his first experience with rock climbing and rapelling...that's all I pretty much know.

I know he didn't really have a climbing interest before hand so it must have been part of some activity that they did.

brianthew

Oct 28, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if any of you scouters are going out to philmont, they have climbing as a staff-run activity at Cimarroncito camp (and somewhere else, too, I think). There are three routes, one called Turtlehead and another called Klingon (both 5.5-6ish), then this third one without any name I know of. It runs between the other two. When I showed up to the activity with my climbing shoes on they told me I'd be 1) climbing last and 2) climbing this mystery third route, which they implied was impossible, as none of them have ever been able to get it even with thier climbing shoes on (typically the climbing is done in hiking boots). It was a 90 degree slab, mostly friction moves. I did a fun onsight and would place it as 5.9 or so (just reporting facts, not spraying!).

They also have a bouldering wall that the challenege is to traverse the whole thing (50 feet or so). Apparently this was supposed to be hard, but it was just a whole bunch of jugs and one crimp (again, I am just giving an opinion, not spraying!).

So if any boy scout climbers are heading there next summer don't expect to much in the way or cool routes or extreme difficulty (not to get down on any of you that didn't/can't climb the routes!). There might be some bouldering by your campsite (there certainaly are lots of boulders) but I doubt it as most campsites were placed away from the rocks since kids get hurt playing on them.

Oh well. It was a great trek anyway .

spoon

Oct 28, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hiked their three summers ago, and also climbed at cimeroncito. The routes were not fantastic, but I think your shoes would make it a lot more fun. I don't remember seeing any really good boulders in or around any of the campsites, but then again, I wasn't as big a climbing fiend back then. I think it probably makes a big diffenece where you hike too. What trek are you going on?

boz84

Oct 28, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went P2k.

As a scout there, and at the climbing camps... theres nothing to write home about.

We stayed a whole day at cimmaroncito, and I only went climbing once, and was very unimpressed. Supposedly they get really top-notch people to run their climbing program, but IMO the Camp that I work at has a much better program.

Cimmaroncito does have a bouldering wall, if small and relatively easy. Do it in hiking boots for a challenge.

if I were you, id take my shoes with me. You might camp at a place with some nice boulders... That is, if it doesnt rain at 1PM, like it does, EVERY DAY!

Fun camp, but you arent going their for climbing, therefore dont expect to much.

brianthew

Oct 28, 2002, 4:15 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A route up the Tooth? I didn't think they'd allow such a thing. It is private property and I don't think the BSA would allow a group of climbers to go up the thing...it would be a fairly lengthy multi-pitch, though it looks rather low-angled (and broken/loose) in most places....hmm...something to research.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook