Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
moving to UTAH in about a year anyone with any beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thatstoohigh

Jul 25, 2002, 11:34 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

moving to UTAH in about a year anyone with any beta  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Red_Slab)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so im moving to Utah in about a year, my girlfriend is originaly from there but hasnt lived there in a few years so i was seeing if anyone had any beta about where was a good local to move to in SLC or in the burbs? and where the best climbing is around SLC and what not.
j

[ This Message was edited by: cass on 2002-07-25 04:41 ]

mrtristan

Jul 25, 2002, 12:21 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

moving to UTAH in about a year anyone with any beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Little Cottonwood Canyon rocks for trad (also skiing... mmmmm...) and is really close, American Fork is ~35 minutes to the south and is one of the best sport climbing areas in the country (supposedly, I'm not a sport climber myself). Hope this helps a bit.

-Tristan

screamer

Jul 31, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sugarhouse and University areas are cool areas to live in, they are somewhat less conservative, and have more of a younger person influence . The more into the burbs you go the more conservative nature of the neighborhood (in general), but the closer you are to the canyons....Its all pretty good.

mkadlec

Aug 1, 2002, 3:28 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally liked Big Cottonwood Canyon on the warmer days, especially the area around the S-curve. Where else can you drive 1/2 hour from downtown and have access to 100+ routes that are normally unoccupied?
American Fork is great too, and you are close to Wind River and City of Rocks if you want to get away for a bit.
I no longer live there, but miss the easy access.

seeking8a

Sep 5, 2002, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to SLC a year ago myself. Incredible outdoor activities. There is more than a lifetime of climbing! I have been bolting routes because I am amazed at how many incredible lines have not been bolted. Snowboarding waist deep powder in the winter and ice climbing/mixed climbing are all new to me as well. I would suggest the avenues and sugarhouse as places to live, they are the liberal areas. Plus how many cities have historical houses within walking distances of downtown that are affordable.

mrsmylie

Sep 25, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

last year while living in SLC i had an address near the U and also one down on 90th south. I would recommend trying to get a place in the U area, the avenues, Sugarhouse, or anywhere on the east bench. Nobody mentioned the bouldering in LCC, which is a bit greasy but still a good very close place to do some good climbing on amazing stone. AF doesn't look great but is a super place to climb with grades at both ends of the spectrum. Big Cottonwood has good climbing on a different type of rock. In the summer you can go up into the Uintas and climb at Ruth Lake, which is really fun climbing with a great setting. Wild Iris and Sinks Canyon, Wyoming are only 4 1/2 hours away. Joe's valley has some of the best bouldering in the Western US and it is only 2 1/2 hours away. You have many options and it is a really good city.

veep23

Sep 25, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Sugarhouse. It's a little harder to find a place than in the Aves, but it gets you 10 minutes closer to the climbing thanks to the nearby highway access.

k9rocko

Sep 25, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:I have been bolting routes because I am amazed at how many incredible lines have not been bolted.

DUDE !!! Welcome to Utah....
Please "climb out" the other routes before you unpack your drill. You sound like a pretty good guy, and so don't take me wrong.
There already exists a lifetime of routes you will likely never finish.... so why have "I can't believe that's not bolted" attitute.
Also, don't forget retro-fitting old anchors. LCC, and BCC could really use a savy individual such as yourself..... being an attorney, you would likely retro-bolt the anchors well!!
I will even 'pig' the drill for you if you are into fixing bad anchors.

Gabe

[ This Message was edited by: k9rocko on 2002-09-24 19:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: k9rocko on 2002-09-24 19:28 ]

seeking8a

Oct 10, 2002, 8:37 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting post,

#1 I don't have a "bolting attitude", I bolt high quality lines when I see them. Have you done any of the routes I have put up? Which one of them do you think is not worth bolting?

#2 I don't agree with the idea that someone has to do every route before they should/can bolt new routes. And by the way, you might be suprised how many routes I have done in the last year.

#3 If you are psyched to go replace bolts on routes that you like, why don't you go do that and not suggest other people do so. It's really not that hard.

stonejunkie

Oct 10, 2002, 9:07 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're gonna live in Salt Lake proper, go with the aves or sugarhouse, if you wanna be close to the resorts and the rock, look into Sandy.
There is more climbing than you can shake a stick at.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook