Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pumpkins

Aug 28, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Onyx rubber(Galil's) w/ stealth c4 resole slivers/hooks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright this is for those serious gear heads out there, so for those of you who've either done this before or wanted to test it out im throwing the money up for it to be tested/done...But i need HELP

Im buying a pair of Galileos and wanted to get them resoled (dont think im crazy just yet) yet not in the typical way your thinking. If you look at this pic of the sole (http://www.fiveten.com/product.php? TYPE=shoes&CAT=VCS) you can see (as are most climbing shoes) that there are no slivers, (raised rubber rails) or anything on the bottom or on the tip of the toe. Its just tottaly smooth/flat

I've been doing my research on this for a little while and it seems such rails, mini circles, and hooks, provide better friction becasue of the way edges and points get stuck between the two rubbers. (kind of like the rubber is pinching the rock as ones fingers would.)

It seems now that if one could get a half a cm to two cm around the circumfrince of the sole (a large bar of rasied rubber about 1 or 1 and 1 half cm high, and 1 to 2cm long) with similar divided bars around the front of the toe (3 bars)- one at the tip under the big toe, and two beside it going to about a inch behind ur big toe knuckle) and maybe simialr micro circles on the heel that some bad arse fritcition would result. For killer toe hooks, similar bars from 1cm to 2 could be used on the top of the toe.

I've seen these sort of rasied rubber "finger Prints" on other shoes and everyone says there stellar, my question now is where could i get it done? I've gotten a couple resole places out of rock and ice who do stealth resoles but i dont know if its in the way inwhich i am describing. I was wondering if anyone has ever attemped this or would know a place who would like to step out of the box. I know you can buy the kits to do it yourself but i'd rather draw up some spec's and have a prof. do it right rather than me f* up my shoes. Though there good as is but who gives a f* this could be an eye opener if done right for five10

- side note, does Boreal offer resole with FS_Quat. rubber yet ? onyx and finger printed quatro would be a wetdream

For an image of what im kind of looking for in terms of what the finger prints look like...check the heel of this shoe http://www.madrockclimbing.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16138&category_id=248
- although not as big, not same shape and turned the oppiste way

- place comments if u think im stupid or crazy here _________ :roll:

pumpkins

Aug 28, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Re: Onyx rubber(Galil's) w/ stealth c4 resole slivers/hooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

130 views and not one reply

you climbers suck, the flaming lames you are...didnt think this was that advanced.... kee yawww :x

xprompt

Aug 28, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like a good idea. maybe you could find a cheep pair of shoes to try it first, unless it will cost a lot to get the rubber done the way you want. its a gamble though but it could be big... i say.....go for it!!!

shear

Aug 28, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you really need THAT much help climbing?

why dont you just drill ladder rungs in the rock...that'll make for great toe and heel hooks as well.....

i guarantee you that the FA'ist didn't have genetically modified scientific space rubber on his shoes when he sent that 5.12 or 13...so why should you?

chromwells_head

Aug 28, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think its a good idear, with all the advances in rock protection, you would think that shoes would be on the bar. i wouldnt do anything as drastic as that heel though, id go with linear cuts made from a razor blade if you want it to pinch better. also having the rails go arround the edge? maybe a shoe that just got an even contact area you know like its flat insted of sloping up at the edges.

pumpkins

Aug 28, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Truthfully i dont need any help climbing b/c im alreday doing insane boulder problems w/ Laportivas that have basically no friction (due to walking on the ground, climbing brick, smeaering the hell out of em, and just plain hard climbing) but i thought doing something like this would be a first/revolutionary if it works... and in truth i need something very tech/touchy for the stuff i do, its all about customization my friend...

As for ppl sending 5.12/13 thats all on climbing ABILITY, not shoes or rubber... Hell sharma could probably take a pair of cruddy boreals and send V10

CHROM: elobarte more on ur idea... how would razor cuts help pinch unless u could actually get edgs into the crease, and even in the occurence that it did work dont you think over a short time it would start to tear the seams where the cut is, making a big ol' mess?
And as for your last sentence i can make no sense of it, grammar my friend, grammar.

Partner j_ung

Aug 29, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #7 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me get this straight. You want Madrock-heel-type ridges all the way around your shoe and over the toe?

dynoguy

Aug 29, 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #8 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Madrock has been that for a few years now. Where have you been?

Partner j_ung

Aug 29, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #9 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And as for your last sentence, I can make no sense of it; grammar my friend, grammar.

Reread your first post aloud to yourself and then say that again with a straight face. :wink:

Oh, and I corrected your quoted sentence above. There's no need to thank me. :D

chromwells_head

Aug 29, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #10 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

think about it, tire manufacturers have been doing it for years, with the small linear cuts made in the rubber, when you smear on a thin dime edge, the the small blocks if you will, will move and conform alot easyer, giving you more surface contact. and quite honestly i dont think it would tear, if done properly. you see you dont use a strait cut across, you use a series of alternating diagonal cuts. and i apologise for my s#$@y grammar, never was no good. :lol:

slobmonster

Aug 29, 2005, 2:24 AM
Post #11 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The term you're looking for is "stiping." You can have this done to your car's tires.

Try it out, let us know what happens.

anykineclimb

Aug 29, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #12 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Truthfully i dont need any help climbing b/c im alreday doing insane boulder problems w/ Laportivas that have basically no friction (due to walking on the ground, climbing brick, smeaering the hell out of em, and just plain hard climbing)

Clean rubber is sticky rubber. Quit walking around in your climbing shoes n00b :roll:

shear

Aug 29, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #13 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Truthfully i dont need any help climbing b/c im alreday doing insane boulder problems w/ Laportivas that have basically no friction (due to walking on the ground, climbing brick, smeaering the hell out of em, and just plain hard climbing) but i thought doing something like this would be a first/revolutionary if it works... and in truth i need something very tech/touchy for the stuff i do, its all about customization my friend...

lol...

youre just a regular james litz huh?

pumpkins

Aug 29, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chrom i like where your going with it, you've got the idea, but wouldnt it be better just to stack the rubber as does a tire rather than cutting into it?

In truth im scared to actually cut into the rubber, but in the event that i broke out the razor on my old shoes what way would you do it... curved lines following the conturs of the shoe or just diagnoal lines down the base

Shear/Any... yeah im a noobie :roll: a noobie with a dream to wip sharmas arse in bouldering (meaning i have to climb everyday-oh its paradise)
an a noobie in the sense that i dont know who litz is
reason being that i ruined the lativas was that the fockers where yellow (nough said- for any of u who've drove a yellow vehicle you know where im coming from... Curse ford and my father for selling/buyin a splash ranger right out of baywatch) and had no friction once so ever, other than that they where ok... as for walking on the ground... i forget my reg. shoes alot...life would be easier barefoot if ppl didnt stare so much

J_Ung. how the hell is NC man, im down in GA missing the hell out of home...find myself thinking of Pilot mountain while im sitting in my room studying biology... tisk tisk
as for the madrock deal, i hate the way they do thier shoes, the lines seem way to big and not geometrically correct. If you watch ur feet when u do toe hooks, heel hooks you can see how thier lines arent that great. i want to test my hypothesis now and see how it holds up

But back to the main ques. is thier any resoler out there who might do work like this or is it just a pipe dream

chromwells_head

Aug 29, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its probably a pipe dream, but i think ther may be a tire company near you that possably could help you, and what i mean is, go accross it like this
edge of shoe>(/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\)

beets_me

Aug 30, 2005, 1:19 AM
Post #16 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's actually called siping.

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 30, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #17 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

you climbers suck, the flaming lames you are...didnt think this was that advanced.... kee yawww :x

first of all, this is no where near the right forum...

and having your shoes resoled with a pattern is in my opinion stupid...it'll be a waste of cash....those raised points on your shoe will just wear faster than the rest of the sole and end up being smooth...as well, i'm VERY sure flat sticky rubber will offer you a hell of a lot more friction (and long term) than some stupid design ever could...

curt

Aug 30, 2005, 3:20 AM
Post #18 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, there is no retard forum, per se.

Curt

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 30, 2005, 3:22 AM
Post #19 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, there is no retard forum, per se.

Curt

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED A RETARD FORUM!!!!!!!!!

though;;;;the community for wil then be cut down to probably 2 pages of threads! :P

climbsomething

Aug 30, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #20 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.stamfordhistory.org/images/rr_wreck35.jpg

That is all.

shear

Aug 30, 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #21 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if youre already doing insane hard boulder problems, then why do you need special shoes?

just go barefoot....... :roll:

pumpkins

Aug 30, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #22 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ignorance...to say something thats sort of new/never been tried is stupid...is ignorance wish there was a filter on this forum for lamers...so that a way the few of us who are half serious woundnt have to sift through post over post of needless excrement...

Chrom: loving the idea, going to try it today on the lativas, maybe 2 to 3cm deep, around the front toe and heel...will put some pics and a review up tommorw if i have time... thanx for those who actually had something positive to say

Shear: already tried that and im missing my whole pinky toe nail b/c of it...next

Curt: no the whole community wount be cut down...it'll be you and tatto... what better forum to post then in than the f* GEAR HEAD one...
needs to be an age requirement to post....

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 31, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #23 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt: no the whole community wount be cut down...it'll be you and tatto... what better forum to post then in than the f* GEAR HEAD one...

hear that curt? a whole forum just for the two of us to flame eachother!awesome!i love it! where do i sign up!

STFU N00b! :D

curt

Aug 31, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #24 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ignorance...to say something thats sort of new/never been tried is stupid...is ignorance wish there was a filter on this forum for lamers...so that a way the few of us who are half serious woundnt have to sift through post over post of needless excrement...

....Curt: no the whole community wount be cut down...it'll be you and tatto... what better forum to post then in than the f* GEAR HEAD one...

An unfortunate but natural consequence of your incompetence is that it prevents you from recognizing this characteristic in yourself. At least you have provided some modest degree of entertainment value here; just be aware that we are laughing at you, not with you.

Curt

james_climber

Aug 31, 2005, 1:28 AM
Post #25 of 32 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know I was thinking in buy a new shoes , i dont know if i try with anazasi southwest or gallileos?? if i buy gallileos i would try with that sole

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook