Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jinx

Sep 18, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #26 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Re: 11-year-old boy took a 60 feet fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's another case of the "Scout Master" not teaching or watching his or her troop... We had a "Boy Scout" get lost last week here in Arkansas, Mountain Biking... He was found, luckily :!: , only one adult with 20 boys... Parents of these kids, should get a little more involved :( !!!

lilclimber18

Sep 18, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #27 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is it just me, or has there been a WHOLE LOT of cases recently w/ lost boy scouts?

oldrnotboldr

Sep 18, 2005, 8:49 PM
Post #28 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's another case of the "Scout Master" not teaching or watching his or her troop
Excellent point. When my son was in scouts a few years back, their were other scouts (older) trying to teach the younger scouts things. This is great for many aspects. However what I observed from the older scout and and an adult instructor teaching the younger group rock climbing was quite cursory. Few explanations given as to why things are not a certain way, and some facts not addressed and some wrong techniques were being taught! I pulled my son aside to another section of the wall to show him safe techniques and why we do things this way or that. Even their instructor was teaching improper belay and spotting techniques.

Granted a person cannot be everywhere all the time, but it is their responsibility to aware of each kid and what that kid is doing.
What irks me are scout leaders trying to teach skills they themselves do not possess yet claim they do and end up teaching so many others bad skills. And those who do not monitor their charges.

jinx

Sep 18, 2005, 8:54 PM
Post #29 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lilclimber18, the scout are not what they once where... It might be time the scouts (boys and girls) joined together... LOL :oops: they might get better supervision that away...

lilclimber18

Sep 18, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #30 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha maybe.

docontherock

Sep 18, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #31 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The question should be, why and who let the boyscout climb that high without any protection? And, if he wasn't being supervised, why wasn't he? On top of that, whoever let this scout climb without any safety is giving the climbing community a bad reputation and alienating the non climbing community in a negative way. Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for this kid, but I hope whoever was in charge of the scouts gets some kind of charges filed against him or her.

First of all, this is an unfortunate accident and I hope the kid is OK. We have all done foolish things in our lives and he was unfortunate to have his poor choice reach up and grab him. That being said, the attitude that it is someone elses responsibility (i.e. scout leaders in this case) when accidents happen is a problem. At some point in life we all have to begin to take responsibility for our own safety. Every time something like this happens fingers get pointed at someone other than the injured person. Sometimes this is appropriate but other times it is an attempt at absolution for the person really responsible..... the person who made poor decisions.

This idea that "someone should pay"/"get charges filed against him" has brought us to a point in this country where the government (read...park service) is slowly but surely restricting our access "for our own safety". IMHO this often times denies us the freedom to go out and experience the wild as we see fit....24/7/365, rain, shine, snow, etc....

My prayers go out for this young climbers recovery and the comfort of his family....

lilclimber18

Sep 18, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #32 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i see what your saying, and its 100% correct.

coffeesaves

Sep 18, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #33 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, lets all stop and pray, george W. would be soooo proud of us all. do us all a favor and keep your ignorance to yourself, thanx!

brianmccully

Sep 18, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #34 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dima,
I would not mind taking you up some routes I have been on in the Sieera's or Appalachians and see if you are still laughing 60 feet plus from your last placements in a sea of eyebrows, dikes, or a blank face? You obviously speak from a position of one who has not climbed. You also seem unlearned to know nothing of cognitive development but dont worry we were all once young and dumb and thought we were bullet proof.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and to be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion" Hnery DAVID tHOREAU

seraphless

Sep 18, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #35 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love how quickly these threads turn from sentiment to argument. It is pathetic.

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #36 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FUCK BUSH!

oh, there we go.. i just opened a can of worms..

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #37 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://members.dodo.net.au/...ndercom/argument.jpg

peace out fellas!

jinx

Sep 18, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #38 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

never mind dimwit I'll be nice... But your family must be proud of that gold metal... :evil: :evil:

theflyingsquirrel

Sep 18, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #39 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm what i want to know is how that kid made it 60 feet without falling sooner. he must of been a good climber. oh well im sure the little squirt will pull through.

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #40 of 80 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jinx, calm down, man. did I say anything against you? no. I apologise if my replies were offencive towards you, or anybody else, but I'm just saying my point of view.

or do I need to be like everybody else, and say "i feel sorry for the kid, sending him my prayers", or whatever you say. Well, i have different opinion, and I will defend it, and will explain why I think that guy is not the brightest pea in the pod. I didn't call you name, I didn't say you a retard, or dumb, or "don't have climbing experience", whatever another bubblehead wrote to me.

I'm trying to have mature discussion, not 10 year old name calling game.

peace

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #41 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

11-year-old boy took a 60 feet fall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dima,
I would not mind taking you up some routes I have been on in the Sieera's or Appalachians and see if you are still laughing 60 feet plus from your last placements in a sea of eyebrows, dikes, or a blank face? You obviously speak from a position of one who has not climbed. You also seem unlearned to know nothing of cognitive development but dont worry we were all once young and dumb and thought we were bullet proof.

as for you... i did not have the same reaction as everybody else on this site (about feel sorry, etc), and that doesn't show the lack of my intelect ( or being, as you said, young and dumb), or me being bulletproof. Don't judge me by my opinion on how I climb neither ("You obviously speak from a position of one who has not climbed").

jinx

Sep 18, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #42 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No Dima, but a lot of us have lost friends and family from falls, all have been very good climbers and roped in... We don't take death or injuries lightly!!!

lilclimber18

Sep 18, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #43 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats a good fact there, jinx.

i dont mean to be a smarty pants at the moment, but will someone help me find a topic on this forum where nobody argued or debated? im doing a personal research... i am actually really interested to see how it turns out. dont take it the wrong way, please.. im just kinda wondering.

theman

Sep 18, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #44 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dima dildo ignoramus mealymouth asshole

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #45 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No Dima, but a lot of us have lost friends and family from falls, all have been very good climbers and roped in... We don't take dead or injuries lightly!!!

I feel sorry about your relatives, and family members, I do, really.

Am I saying that, "Hey, all climbers are dumb, and fall of the rock!"?? NO, i'm saying in THAT particular case the peson WHO CLIMBED was not realy smart. I feel sorry for his family, and what is going to happen with his instructors, or whatever, HOWEVER, I don't feel sorry for him. He climbed - he fell off. He is already grown up to realize what he is doing, he can do SIMPLE SAFETY decisions for himself. Thats why I don't feel sorry for him.
If he was mentaly challenged, then yes, I would feel sorry, but it doesn't say that, so, asuming that most of kid population is normal, the news decided not to say that the kid was "mentaly capable of preforming physical activities on his own". Its common sence.
He was normal typical 11 year old boy, who was dumb enough to climb a wall not protected, and fell off! What do I need to feel sorry for????????

dima

Sep 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #46 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theman, lick my nuts, and go to hell

nicklikesfire

Sep 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #47 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me start by saying that I am deeply sorry for the poor kid that took the fall, his parents, friends, and the people that were in charge of him when he fell. I think it sucks that an accident like this happened.

But, when I was a kid I did stuff like that and worse. (and before you ask, yes, myself and my friends suffered drasticly from it at one point or another.) It made me who I am today.

Good luck to the boy, and his family.

viacontinuum

Sep 18, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #48 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while i would agree with everyone else, that this is really unfortunate and i feel sorry that the kid got hurt, i think the point that dima's making is a good one. if the kid's parents tell him that the scout leader was completely at fault, then how will he learn responsibility for his own actions, and not constantly blame others everytime something goes wrong?

and at least dima's responded to every one of your posts, apologized a number of times and admitted that it is just his opinion and maybe it's not 100% right. everone else seems to be convinced they're right, and trying to change his mind, telling him to start praying or taking pot shots at the guy. if you don't want these forums to descend into petty arguments and mudslinging (theman), then stop trying to tell other people how to react. you've made your point, he's made his.

and i'm making mine: i used italics in my rant, so i'm more right than all of you. ha.

peace

Partner macherry

Sep 19, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #49 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh for fuck sakes!!!! it's amazing how many monday morning quarterbacks there are when it comes to climbing accidents. Comments like: "that was stupid", and the like are a waste of a post.

it's been said many times, except for the grace of god, there i go!!! Remember that when you respond to an accident thread.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family. While i don't know the details, it's a hard accident to accept. 11 year old boys under the supervision and direction of adults..........this kind of accident shouldn't have happened. As a former girl guide leader, i am quite familiar with the responsibility of taking our a group of children. parents trust you with their most precious belongings......their kids. As for 11 year old boys knowing the risk....that's what responsible adults instill in their charges.

please refer to sticky at the top of this forum about moderation and appropriate 'behavior/comments" in the injuries and accident forum

backclipped

Sep 19, 2005, 3:08 AM
Post #50 of 80 (9833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dima, Dima, Dima...the funny thing is that at 11, that little boy is more of a climber than you'll ever be.
You need to do three things:
Find some compassion
Learn the meaning of class
keep your mouth shut until you've graduated from that plastic climbing romper room of yours.

You strike me as a mortal incarnate of Loki. If I catch you truddling at my crag I'm gonna whip your ass.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook