Premier Sponsor:

Partner tgreene

Oct 15, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #1 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

*** Legal Advice Needed Immediately ***
Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to speak to a lawyer immediately, concerning my younger brother....

I'm asking for help here, because as climbers, we're kindred spirits and I'll be more inclined to trust the support or advise from friends.

As I clearly don't want to post any details here, I'm begging that someone can call me ASAP.

Tim Greene

mjroche

Oct 17, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #2 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Re: *** Legal Advise Needed Immediately *** [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim: I don't know you, but if you want to pm me with your question, I'll see if I can point you in the right direction. I don't know what your issue is, and I don't practice criminal law (making an assumption there), but if I can help, I will.

wjca

Oct 17, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tim: I don't know you, but if you want to pm me with your question, I'll see if I can point you in the right direction. I don't know what your issue is, and I don't practice criminal law (making an assumption there), but if I can help, I will.

What he said.

Partner tgreene

Oct 17, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, but it looks like I've sorta got things squared away at this point...

I spoke directly w/ the DA and the Magistrate Judge this morning, and think e may be on the right track.

At this point, I really don't care who knows or reads what, so here goes:

My younger brother (37) has some severe 'issues' which are in need of a proper medical diagnosis and treatment (we're guessing bi-polar disorder). The problem is, that while everyone else is fully aware of this, he refuses to accept it, and therefore won't seek help. He does on the otherhand attempt to self medicate with alcohol and pills, which while creating a euphoric effect, only screws up his body chemistry and mental health that much worse, but he has no clue.

For years we've tried to get him into a treatment program before something *bad* happened, but we've been painfully unsuccessful in doing so. Well, he was finally arrested for stalking his equally psycho girlfriend who has been diagnosed bi-polar, yet refuses to take her meds, opting to also self medicate with alcool and pills (she supplies him with the pills).

On Wednesday they got into a fight and she split, so after getting drunk and stoned, he tracked her down to an apartment where she was shacked up w/ another guy, then he smashed in the window... She called the cops and he was arrested for criminal tresspass and DWI. After he was bailedf out, he returned to her place (where he was also living) and that night was AGAIN arrested for criminal tresspass, since she had taken out a restraining order against him... It actually does appear that there is some question in regards to if he had yet been served with the 'Order of Protection' before the second arrest. took place. If not, then the arrest would be invalidated, but if so, he wil likely be charged with stalking.

In speaking with the DA and Judge, our family has officially requested that he be ordered by the courts into an comprehensive inpatient treatment facility, to be followed up with regular court mandated meetings and doctor visits. This program would be in lieu of a hefty jail sentance, yet failure to satisfactorily complete a program(s) would result in a bench warrant being issued that would result in a full reinstatement of a jail sentance.

It's our hope and prayers that court mandated medical treatment will save not only his future, but his life!

FWIW: The Judge was very receptive to our request, as was the DA, so at the very least they know that Jeff has family and friends that love and care about him. Furthermore, the Judge was personally going to relay all of this infomation to his Public Defender, in the hopes of wseeking out the best possible resolution, where his wellbeing is concerned.

Please keep Jeff in your thoughts and prayers, because he really is a damn good guy that while having obvious problems, has never harmed a fly or beeen in trouble a day in his life. :cry:

Partner tgreene

Oct 17, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone has any additional ideas or input, PLEASE call me at the number above (collect if necessary)...

Thanks so much,

Tim

mjroche

Oct 18, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Re: *** Legal Advice Needed Immediately *** [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim: Sorry to hear about the trouble, but it sounds like you're on the right track. The legal standard for involuntary civil commitment is almost certainly met based on the facts you've described, and if the court, the D.A. and the P.D. are willing to actually look at the individual facts of the case, you're way ahead of the game. Best of luck.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 18, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might also want to check out a few Al-anon meetings for yourself; they are a very powerful tool in helping people learn to deal with this sort of stuff. After years of futile efforts, you might be surprised at how quickly things turn around.

charley

Oct 18, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #8 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim, I hope things work out for your brother. Having spent a cpl yrs in rehab, I noticed that ppl who didn't want to be there, didn't always do well. I hope this was his bottom and he listens. I'll keep ya'll in my thoughts.

Partner tgreene

Oct 19, 2005, 1:46 AM
Post #9 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in an inpatient facility when I was 17, and it totally sucked, but they are necessary and do work, which is why I'm adamant about taking this approach if at all possible.

iltripp

Oct 19, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #10 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in need of a proper medical diagnosis and treatment (we're guessing bi-polar disorder)

Ouch... if he is bipolar, that's no fun for anyone involved. People with bipolar disorder are often very adamant about not admitting/realizing that they have a problem. I hope he gets whatever diagnosis and treatment he needs.

timstich

Oct 19, 2005, 4:03 AM
Post #11 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know all too well about this kind of stuff, Tim. PM me if you ever want to compare stories.

zunani

Oct 19, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #12 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tgreen,
I just read your problem email and was touched. I worked in the theraputic world for over 15 years. Looking at your brothers age and your love for the wilderness, there's a program just opened up for adults in St George Utah. It's pert of Second Nature Wilderness Program a leader in the field of wilderness therapy. You can go to thier website snwp.com go to Brad Ready ( he's one of the owners) and a brilliant therapist.
They may be able to help.

Good luck fellow climber and stay safe.
Zunani

zunani

Oct 19, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #13 of 13 (961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tgreen,
I just read your problem email and was touched. I worked in the theraputic world for over 15 years. Looking at your brothers age and your love for the wilderness, there's a program just opened up for adults in St George Utah. It's pert of Second Nature Wilderness Program a leader in the field of wilderness therapy. You can go to thier website snwp.com go to Brad Ready ( he's one of the owners) and a brilliant therapist.
They may be able to help.

Good luck fellow climber and stay safe.
Zunani

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook