RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

crazybeautiful

Apr 18, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Climbing partner needed in the Philadelphia area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My name is Gina I am 20 years old and fairly new to climbing. I live in the Philadelphia area and am looking for a climbing partner. I love the sport and would love to be able to climb more often but that is hard to do without having anyone to climb with.

kimmyt

Apr 18, 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing partner needed in the Philadelphia area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and my partner usually go out to Birdsboro Quarry (which is near Reading, I don't know where exactly you are in the Philly area) once a week after work. If that's not far from you I can let you know next time we go out.

K.

crazybeautiful

Apr 19, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

la

mmindtrap

Apr 20, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We'll be climbing at Birdsboro on thursday if you want to come out.

brad84

Apr 20, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey,

i live right across the river in jersey; i actually goto rutgers camden...

rumor is that there is a small amount of decent bouldering in fairmont park. i havent checked it out yet, but i plan to as soon as school wraps up for the semester. aside from that, i make frequent trips to the gunks (less so now that exams are starting up, but that wont last long), i like to head north as well- think cathedral, cannon, rumney, and of course south to seneca and the new. interested? it seems like im always looking for a partner.

oh right, and i have a bouldering wall in my basement that will have you pulling down hard for sure. your more than welcome to that as well.

anyhow, best of luck, if youre interested drop me a line brparry@camden.rutgers.edu

edit for location clarification

kimmyt

Apr 20, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

rumor is that there is a small amount of decent bouldering in fairmont park.

Yep, there sure is. Some folks have posted pics, but the boulders are really easy to find. Just follow the main towpath down along the creek. It's closer to Manayunk than Valley Forge, if you know the park very well.

I've never been on any of the boulders (I used to bike those trails up on the hills fairly often and never brought my pad with me) but recall them being very overhung, and also very chalked up. Not sure of quality or ratings.

K.

brad84

Apr 20, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, ive heard steep- ive seen photots of paul robinson on something overhung and i also know that rocco (local boulderer,strong) has put up a few things, overhung as well i believe. check out www.norope.com

edited bc i misread previous post

crazybeautiful

Apr 23, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I would have loved to of climb with you Thurs. but unfortunately didn't get your post till it was to late. Let me know if you go again. ~Gina~

spam23

Apr 26, 2005, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all,

The names Ben and I live in Downingtown. I'm up in Allentown right now at school, but I'll be home for the summer soon. I climb at haycock and North Summit climbing gym primarily, but I'm looking forward to being closer to safe harbor and birdsboro when I get home. If any of y'all are just heading up and don't mind an extra partner, send me a pm.

chao,
Ben

leaverbiner

Apr 26, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gina - the Phila. area offers more than ost people think. Given your location (carversville) I assume tat you have been to the Doylestown Gym. There are a number of great people there that I am sure owuld be willing to climb with you inside and outside. You also shoudl consider trying the Phila. Rock Gym in Oaks,PA . . it is right near the King of Prussia Mall. The PRG is filled with dedicated climbers, boulderers, sport climbers and trad climbers. There is also a suprisingly healthy contingent of climbers in the cityand across the river in New Jersey. As for local spots, some have been mentioned - Birdsboro (sport climbing on suspect rock, but better probably the best local option for sport - can defintely be fun and often is better than climbing on plastic) - Haycock, St, Peter's Gretna, Governor Stable, Green Lane, Fairmount Park, all offer decent to excellent bouldering (most of these areas are more easily navigated with someone that has climbed there before). For weekend trips you have the Gunks, NY (Trad/bouldering approx. 3 hours), New River Gorge, WV (Sport/trad/bouldering approx 7 hours), Rumney, NH (Sport/trad/bouldering 7+ hours), Lincoln Woods, RI (bouldering, 5 hours), Cooper's, WV (bouldering/Top Roping 5 hours) . . . these are just the tip of the iceberg, but the more frequently visited places from our area.

Good luck.

reynolcma

Apr 26, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm hoping to find some people to climb with this weekend. If any of you could use a partner please pm me. I'm hoping to find someone for the Gunks, but I'm up for anything. Gina, I sent you a PM.

stanfield

Oct 17, 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have a climbing group in the phila., n.j., del. area. It is a yahoo group with about 65 members called govertical@yahoogroups.com We can be found indoor climbing at Go Vertical in philly along with outdoor climbing, locally al Rock State Park, Birdsboro or Gunks, Seneca, New Hampshire, Maine, etc...There are usually a few of our group ready to climb anytime.
If you cannot find us I can send you out an invite to an e-mail address

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook