Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

wetyeti

Oct 18, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #51 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad is the only true way! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

learn to climb stairs

sumo

Oct 18, 2005, 8:40 AM
Post #52 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm going to pick on another pet peeve of yours, Jay, and say that steep gym climbing is to footwork as Gri Gris are to belaying. That is to say - it's not so much that you're "forced" to develop poor footwork by climbing first in the gym, any more than you're "forced" to develop poor belay skills when belaying first with a Gri Gri. However, if someone just says - here you go, have at it, the climber outside on a slab is forced to develop some rudimentary footwork immediately, and the user of an ATC is forced to acknowledge that locking off and keeping a hand on the brake strand is important. Know what I'm saying?

I'm not bashing either the gym or the gri-gri. I like and use both a great deal! I'm just pointing out that without the proper training which you often point out is so vital, both provide exceptionally fertile ground for breeding bad habits.

GO

worst argument / analogy yet

who can top that?

geckoboy

Oct 18, 2005, 9:24 AM
Post #53 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If anything, indoor climbing gives you horrid footwork. You learn to campus everything, which never works outside.

...snip... you don't learn to campus everything unless you campus everything. Stop campusing and maybe you'll learn how to use your feet.

I'm not familiar with this term "to campus". What do you mean by that?

Rob

blueeyedclimber

Oct 18, 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #54 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Then for others [the] is a way to get started, meet other climbers and hopefully eventually learn that they don't know what climbing is all about but would like to learn more.

The problem is they don't necessarily seek out knowledgeable partners before venturing outdoors. Most of who have been around for a while would agree, I think, that the overall population of climbers has become less safe since the advent of gym climbing. Most gym climbers don't even belay safely, much less understand the additional complexities of outdoor climbing.

-Jay

I agree with you to some degree. I am not so sure that it is the gym which has created this unsafe atmosphere, rather than just the larger volume of climbers. I think it is just because climbing's door is open to a larger audience than it used to be, and with that has brought a lot of different type of people, some careful and smart, and some the opposite.

If the only way to obtain your driver's liscence was to go out and teach yourself and earn your car in the process, there would be fewer drivers and the streets would be safer, with only the best drivers on the road.

I guess my point is that gyms have made it easier to progress, and in turn easier to skip a few important steps along the way. It's easy to blame the gyms, but these people have got to take responsibilty for themselves. Every mistake I have made thus far, is my fault, not any gym's.

Josh

Partner cracklover

Oct 18, 2005, 1:07 PM
Post #55 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm going to pick on another pet peeve of yours, Jay, and say that steep gym climbing is to footwork as Gri Gris are to belaying. That is to say - it's not so much that you're "forced" to develop poor footwork by climbing first in the gym, any more than you're "forced" to develop poor belay skills when belaying first with a Gri Gri. However, if someone just says - here you go, have at it, the climber outside on a slab is forced to develop some rudimentary footwork immediately, and the user of an ATC is forced to acknowledge that locking off and keeping a hand on the brake strand is important. Know what I'm saying?

I'm not bashing either the gym or the gri-gri. I like and use both a great deal! I'm just pointing out that without the proper training which you often point out is so vital, both provide exceptionally fertile ground for breeding bad habits.

GO

worst argument / analogy yet

who can top that?

And you have what to contribute?

In reply to:
thank you speedwrong SP? I was hoping someone would call the troll out.

Congratulating someone for calling out a troll. Gee, that's impressive.

In reply to:
When I took my drivers test I took it in a manual. Cleary everyone should learn to drive on a manual blah blah blah.

Um, just because you don't have a point to make doesn't mean you have to tell us you have nothing to say. Oh wait, is this your point?

In reply to:
The only thing that is really pure is the coke you snorted before you posted (to the OP).

No, that's not saying much. Maybe this is it:

In reply to:
Have fun in whatever you do. To me that is what climbing is about (yes I know same old argument) I'm not going to be some guide or anything like that. I learned to climb in the gym made some great friends. I enjoy climbing sport or trad. I will boulder on occassion. I love climbing but don't enjoy being cold or getting up really really early to go climb 30 min away.

end ramble

S

Ah, finally, your point! I see that you like to have fun. Climbing is fun for you. That is very good. Hooray for Sumo! He likes to climb! Also enlightening to the issue of trad and gym climbing are the facts that Sumo does not like to be cold, and he doesn't like to get up really really early to go climb 30 min away. Um...

All kidding aside, Sumo, I'm glad you get enjoyment out of your climbing. I get a lot out of my climbing, too. I think that's why we do what we do. But vis a vis this thread, 1 - if you don't like it, no-one's forcing you to read it or post to it, and 2 - You don't seem to be in any position to criticize my argument/analogy. If you did have a point other than "climb whatever you like, who cares" you certainly didn't get it across.

GO

blueeyedclimber

Oct 18, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #56 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
If anything, indoor climbing gives you horrid footwork. You learn to campus everything, which never works outside.

...snip... you don't learn to campus everything unless you campus everything. Stop campusing and maybe you'll learn how to use your feet.

Rob

It means to ascend without the use of your feet, meaning to just pull yourself up from hold to hold. Some really, really macho guys like to do it even when they don't need to. THey are really macho...did I mention that?

jt512

Oct 18, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #57 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Rob

"Campusing" is doing moves with the feet off.

-Jay

Oct 18, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #58 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's it, I am going to the gym to climb some trad!

geckoboy

Oct 18, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #59 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

"Campusing" is doing moves with the feet off.

I see. I think this must come down to one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. I suspect that learning good footwork is as much a question of commitment as location....

Rob

fishbelly

Oct 18, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #60 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Not all trad climbs have a walk-off or trees to sling, so how do all these pure trad climbers get back down?

Seriously, you don't know?

They must get down some how. Or there would be skeletons of trad climbers at the top of a lot of routes

seabee

Oct 18, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #61 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the only one that has noticed that King Rat's ranking is "Sport Climber" :lol:

schveety

Oct 18, 2005, 6:28 PM
Post #62 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In regards to the "how do we get down if we're pure trad climbers question", sometimes I like to just go ahead and base-jump, maybe parachute, but mostly I rappel off of the bolts growing out of the rock----- funny how those things grow in just the right places :shock:

sumo

Oct 18, 2005, 9:24 PM
Post #63 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To crack lover

I really enjoyed your first post. I started climbing in some what of a similar fashion.

In reply to:
Nah, milk is the only true whey.

What were we talking about again?

GO
___
as for stuff like this? Lets face it its a forum. Most of the time I say sarcastic or cynical remarks and its all in fun and games.

I still agree that it is a horrible analogy and here is why.
Let me first give you my understanding (please let me know if I'm way off)

Gym climbing is to footwork as
Gri gris are to belaying

Wow does this feel like SATs

Your two arguments are that gym climbing creates bad footwork? And grigris are ruining belaying. People shouldn't learn to belay with a gri gri they should learn on a tube belay device, hip belay, or if you are curt a foot belay.

The reason why I don't think it makes that much sense is because it is only taking one side. Sure I've seen a lot of bad footwork in the gym, and contributed my share also. But I don't think see the connection between your analogy.

Lets go take a look at the argument for gri gris. Why do some gyms have these $50-$70 devices on all of their ropes (i.e. vertical world in Seattle)? It is because it significantly lowers insurance costs.
While other gyms like Stone Gardens don't have gri gris attached to any of their ropes.

Certain people just want certain things out of climbing (dub no shit) well its the same for the gym rats. While some people might display poor footwork or never learn to lead, use a belay device and so forth, they are content with where they are. Its a fun sociable "hip" maybe way to work out. While for others, probably the majority so who have responded in this thread, either hate gyms or use them to train. Perhaps they live in an area that gets a lot of rain or the nearest climb is 4 hours away. I dunno?

One more thing while I'm still typing
To the comment about, gyms taking away money that could go towards a rack. That is great if you can climb year round. Maybe you have a woody, train with something, or are able to get out a lot. I know a lot of people who don't $40 a month to throw around to climb at a gym, so instead they belay at the gym in exchange for a free membership. It s a pretty win-win deal.

S

Edit: I still don't like waking up early or the cold

Ok after re reading that it still doesn't make sense
bottom line your analogy works if you view them both as negative things
I'm just saying their is another side to both of those. That is why I don't think it works as an analogy

ok this is my last edit (hmm or maybe it was too push 100...)
The reason why I didn't make an argument earlier is
If someone wants to believe trad is the only way to go, I don't really care.
Go ahead, live in your bubble. USA is the greatest country in the world #1
#1. Yeah look at our GDP >20% of world GDP.

It is ignoring a lot of facts and is just showing my ignorance.

rufusandcompany

Oct 18, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #64 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think it is a very bad idea and here's why. 20+ years ago, this was the way to go. Find a mentor and learn the tricks of the trade from them. All there was was trad. With the boom in the sport, there are way too many beginners for the "experienced" to mentor. Which means, if all the beginners were going out and learning trad, there would be far more accidents then there are now. Gyms serve a purpose. To many (including myself), it is training. To many more, it is the gym climbing that many strive for. Then for others it is a way to get started, meet other climbers and hopefully eventually learn that they don't know what climbing is all about but would like to learn more. Then they will begin to seek out the more learned climbers and go from there. If you send them all out on there own in the beginning without the honeymoon phase, then you will probably be sending a lot of them to their death.

Josh

I read about far more accidents now, than when there weren't gyms. Some of this could be a result of the increased number of climbers out there, although some of it is the result of people gaining a certain level of false confidence in their skills, from what they've learned in gyms.

Handling a sixty foot coil of rope and a Grigri, in a climate controlled environment will teach one very little about rope management. A qualified instructor and some exposure to the real elements will teach a new climber much more about the realities of what they will face in nature.

It will also give them a better sense of how seriously they should take the inherent dangers that will inevitably confront them in a natural environment.

slablizard

Oct 18, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #65 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree! More people shoud do trad instead of crowding all my sport routes. Long live to trad

In reply to:
All beginners should learn to climb outdoors on trad climbs. Climbing indoors promotes to many bad habits, it does not instil the kind of knowledge and experience about safety as one gets form trad climbing, it does not give a wider understanding about climbing and rope work. It does not give any appreciation for the outdoors and the environment. It kills all ideas of adventure, of independence, of taking responsibility for your own actions, learning indoors you hand over all these things to an unknown person. Trad is the only true way!

PS I’m bored

rockrat_co

Oct 18, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #66 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow,
I saw the thread title and my firs thought was: " Oh Boy; this is going to raise some havic!". All the diferent types have allredy been introduced, as long as a new one doesnt come along which makes destroying nature mandatory, I'd say climbing is climbing!

-rockrat_co-

Partner grovehunter

Oct 18, 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #67 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read this thread, Damn. "Can't we just all get along!" I learned to climb outdoors then had a serious accident. When I healed and made a decision to climb again I went to a gym. Things had changed in ten years and I have forgotten a lot of stuff. The gym was a nice way to confirm that this is a part of my lifestyle I want back. The guy at the gym failed me on my first belay test. I HAVE SAFELY BEALYED A LOT OF PEOPLE AND NEVER DROPPED ANYONE!!! The guy said it was great that my break hand never left the rope but, that I was a little slow at taking in slack. Glad I caught this in a totally controlled environment than when someone is hanging a hundred plus feet off the deck. They kept an eye on me that day and told me to focus on belaying. By the time I had left the gym I was confident I could pass thier test.
I just climbed outdoors this past weekend and I nearly climbed to my previous limit. My point is that I'm out of shape and rusty and haven't climbed outdoors in over ten years. I even cleaned two routes on my first time back out. The gym is helpful in some ways, but I do have to admit that it gets old fast and the outdoors is what seperates the badasses from the wannabees. Everything in moderation folks!! As long as someone is enjoying themself at no expense to you it shouldn't rent space in your head Kingrat; despite how cheap the rent may be..... :roll: :P

jt512

Oct 19, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #68 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To crack lover

I really enjoyed your first post. I started climbing in some what of a similar fashion.

In reply to:

GO
___
as for stuff like this? Lets face it its a forum. Most of the time I say sarcastic or cynical remarks and its all in fun and games.

Gri gris are to belaying

Your two arguments are that gym climbing creates bad footwork? And grigris are ruining belaying. People shouldn't learn to belay with a gri gri they should learn on a tube belay device, hip belay, or if you are curt a foot belay.

The reason why I don't think it makes that much sense is because it is only taking one side. Sure I've seen a lot of bad footwork in the gym, and contributed my share also. But I don't think see the connection between your analogy.

Lets go take a look at the argument for gri gris. Why do some gyms have these $50-$70 devices on all of their ropes (i.e. vertical world in Seattle)? It is because it significantly lowers insurance costs.
While other gyms like Stone Gardens don't have gri gris attached to any of their ropes.

Certain people just want certain things out of climbing (dub no s---) well its the same for the gym rats. While some people might display poor footwork or never learn to lead, use a belay device and so forth, they are content with where they are. Its a fun sociable "hip" maybe way to work out. While for others, probably the majority so who have responded in this thread, either hate gyms or use them to train. Perhaps they live in an area that gets a lot of rain or the nearest climb is 4 hours away. I dunno?

To the comment about, gyms taking away money that could go towards a rack. That is great if you can climb year round. Maybe you have a woody, train with something, or are able to get out a lot. I know a lot of people who don't $40 a month to throw around to climb at a gym, so instead they belay at the gym in exchange for a free membership. It s a pretty win-win deal.

S

I'm just saying their is another side to both of those. That is why I don't think it works as an analogy

At least the analogy was coherent.

-Jay

areyoumydude

Oct 19, 2005, 2:15 AM
Post #69 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
To crack lover

In reply to:

GO
___

Gri gris are to belaying

Certain people just want certain things out of climbing (dub no s---) well its the same for the gym rats. While some people might display poor footwork or never learn to lead, use a belay device and so forth, they are content with where they are. Its a fun sociable "hip" maybe way to work out. While for others, probably the majority so who have responded in this thread, either hate gyms or use them to train. Perhaps they live in an area that gets a lot of rain or the nearest climb is 4 hours away. I dunno?

S

-Jay

Love the sig.

Partner cracklover

Oct 19, 2005, 3:17 AM
Post #70 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks! Yeah, these days, I think a lot of people do.

In reply to:

Gri gris are to belaying

Sorry, nope. You're not *way* off, but you are a *little* wacked! :)

It's true, you get out of it what you put into it. But people rarely go to the gym, find the one slab in the place, and say - cool, a slab, I'll try to do the hard route here with all the dime edges so I can learn footwork. And yet outside, folks tend to be attracted to the lower angle faces to start out.

I guess I'm just saying that the ATC and the outdoor slab provide a tighter feedback loop, so the neophyte tends to learn better, faster.

But what the fuck do I know. The first six months of my roped technical climbing took place exclusively inside on a short exactly 90 degree wall, wearing sneakers. (That's me wearing sneakers, not the wall). And let me tell you, my footwork was horrible! I bought my first pair of climbing shoes only after I'd worn holes through the toes of my sneakers! :lol:

GO

jt512

Oct 19, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #71 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
To crack lover

In reply to:

GO
___

Gri gris are to belaying

S

-Jay

Love the sig.

How pathetic is it that the only way you can come out ahead is to fabricate your opponent's comments.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 19, 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #72 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I think it is a very bad idea and here's why. 20+ years ago, this was the way to go. Find a mentor and learn the tricks of the trade from them. All there was was trad. With the boom in the sport, there are way too many beginners for the "experienced" to mentor. Which means, if all the beginners were going out and learning trad, there would be far more accidents then there are now. Gyms serve a purpose. To many (including myself), it is training. To many more, it is the gym climbing that many strive for. Then for others it is a way to get started, meet other climbers and hopefully eventually learn that they don't know what climbing is all about but would like to learn more. Then they will begin to seek out the more learned climbers and go from there. If you send them all out on there own in the beginning without the honeymoon phase, then you will probably be sending a lot of them to their death.

Josh

I read about far more accidents now, than when there weren't gyms. Some of this could be a result of the increased number of climbers out there, although some of it is the result of people gaining a certain level of false confidence in their skills, from what they've learned in gyms.

Handling a sixty foot coil of rope and a Grigri, in a climate controlled environment will teach one very little about rope management. A qualified instructor and some exposure to the real elements will teach a new climber much more about the realities of what they will face in nature.

It will also give them a better sense of how seriously they should take the inherent dangers that will inevitably confront them in a natural environment.

It's a cause and effect thing, or a chicken and egg thing, if you will. I don't think anyone will argue that there are more accidents now. I wasn't even around "back in the day", and I know that there are far more accidents now. But, is it because of gyms, or does the advent of gyms just coincide with it. Yes, there is some poor instruction in gyms, but there is also some excellent instruction. There is also very poor instruction outside. A few months ago, I had to come to some poor girl's rescue, because her "experienced" friend was trying to teach her how to clean an anchor and rappel 60 feet below her. After watching and listening for a couple minutes, I stepped in and offered to climb up and help her. When I went up, she had misunderstood and somehow had tied herself to the rappel rings. She was safe but she certainly wasn't rappelling anywhere. After re-explaining it, she was down in a few seconds. What if she had misunderstood a different way and ended up at the bottom a lot faster?

My point is that the way climbing is so accessible to the common man is a good thing, but because of this, some people think they are more experienced than they are. Are gyms to blame for this? No. They may help contribute to it, but to say that Gyms teach bad habits is wrong. They are there to provide an easy outlet to learn. If you learn bad habits, it is your own fault.

Josh

nebkhat

Oct 19, 2005, 1:01 PM
Post #73 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my two cents.

$.01 The gym is a great place to exercise but does give one the feeling of being close to nature.
$.02 Gyms are to damned dirty, breathing all that dust sucks.
$.03 I prefer the rock to escape the concrete jungle (also see the first penny)
$.04 I can trad climb a 5.8 but sport climb a 5.11 I do not believe I could possibly trad climb a 5.11 though I enjoy trad climbing and sport climbing 5.9-5.11.
$.05 The bottom line.... I prefer rock over wood and plastic, and find much enjoyment in a difficult problem on a 5.10 or 11 but would rather not carry all of the nuts and cams while doing it.

It appears that I have spent an extra three cents. 150% tax I suppose. You never can be to safe. ;-)

rufusandcompany

Oct 19, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #74 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Josh

It's a cause and effect thing, or a chicken and egg thing, if you will. I don't think anyone will argue that there are more accidents now. I wasn't even around "back in the day", and I know that there are far more accidents now. But, is it because of gyms, or does the advent of gyms just coincide with it. Yes, there is some poor instruction in gyms, but there is also some excellent instruction. There is also very poor instruction outside. A few months ago, I had to come to some poor girl's rescue, because her "experienced" friend was trying to teach her how to clean an anchor and rappel 60 feet below her. After watching and listening for a couple minutes, I stepped in and offered to climb up and help her. When I went up, she had misunderstood and somehow had tied herself to the rappel rings. She was safe but she certainly wasn't rappelling anywhere. After re-explaining it, she was down in a few seconds. What if she had misunderstood a different way and ended up at the bottom a lot faster?

My point is that the way climbing is so accessible to the common man is a good thing, but because of this, some people think they are more experienced than they are. Are gyms to blame for this? No. They may help contribute to it, but to say that Gyms teach bad habits is wrong. They are there to provide an easy outlet to learn. If you learn bad habits, it is your own fault.

Josh

I agree with you, and I believe that we are saying basically the same thing.

I will elaborate on what I meant by instruction, because your example of it clearly does not state my case. I was suggesting that anyone serious about climbing outdoors should consider hiring a professional instructor/guide for at least few lessons, so that they are given a solid foundation of the very basics of safety and rope management. You are obviously siting an example of a non-certified person teaching a neophyte.

I was a certified guide, and I can say, with confidence, that it is extremely unlikely that a properly certified instructor would ever put a student in the position that you described.

KC

logicflash

Oct 20, 2005, 4:21 PM
Post #75 of 91 (8102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rufus, I enjoyed your last post, and I completely agree with you, having been in that exact situation not long ago.

I only recently got out to Devil's Lake WI to try some trad with a few friends. Two of them are very experienced trad climbers, and were teaching our group the basics of it. After a few hours, we had a pretty solid understanding of all the gear and placement techniques. When it came to be my turn to go up, I refused. I was honestly too scared, and still not comfortable enough with the techniques to go up a route and set my own protection. Although I trust those friends with my life, I strongly believe that several lessons with a certified intructor is the only safe way to learn. There's a high degree of personal responsibility on the climber to know and respect their limits, and not to cross them in an overly dangerous situation.

As an employee of a college climbing gym, I would have to say that gyms aren't all bad. We have new climbers everyday, and even a few experienced ones who need a lot of instruction. I know some gyms are too busy to provide that one on one, but we always make an effort to help out the noobs. Bad footwork can be learned anywhere, indoor or outdoor. Most of my time is spent helping people out with that. But, there are a lot of good training techniques that work only in a gym, and we try to promote those for interested climbers who can't get outdoors all the time. Living in Minnesota, that's only a few months of the year anyway, what with the regularly occuring Ice Ages.

Love for the outdoors is entirely a personal matter. If you don't connect with nature while climbing trad, that doesn't make you a bad climber or a bad person. Some people focus on the sport, and appreciate the aesthetics later. Personally, I do feel that connection, but not everyone will, and that's ok.

-He who is fearless in being bold will meet with his death;
He who is fearless in being timid will stay alive.
Of the two, one leads to good, the other to harm.-
-Te Ching-

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook