RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

kjclimber

Aug 4, 2002, 2:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Rappel anchor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the best way to anchor yourself in from a top rope climb in a gym. Is a daisy chain ok. I've done a lot of tree climbing and have done numerous rappels from them, but usually anchored by my flipline.

Thanks
kjclimber

timmyclimber

Aug 4, 2002, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Rappel anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, doesnt the gym already have ropes/anchors already set?? ive never seen a gym without them. And if theres not, insurance or safety or some shitty rules makes it so that they can only use the gyms ropes and they have to set them up. But if what youre saying is right and you have to set up your own, theres usually bolts, bars/raftors, or clips at the top of the wall to anchor to. but have fumn getting there without a line.

lostangel

Aug 4, 2002, 2:45 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is kinda wierd that a gym wouldnt have ropes already set up unless he is talking about sport..

kjclimber

Aug 4, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've already climbing the route, top rope, need to anchor while i'm up there...question is from the anchor into the wall, should i use a daisy chain or something else????

hollyclimber

Aug 4, 2002, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the answer is, it doesn't matter. If for some reason you want to clip in, clip in with whatever. You can clip yourself to a bolt with a quickdraw.

When climbing in the gym, if you need to do something like go hands free to fix your shoes, just have your belayer take you and hold you tight.

If you are top-roping, you won't need to set a rappel, right? Just have your partner lower you. This is what sport climbing is all about. When I am out at the crag with friends who climb more alpine then sport, they usually want to rap. I encourage them to get into the genre of the day and lower.

So, clip in at the gym with whatever you want. The only time I have ever clipped into anything at the gym is when climbing something overhanging and needing a rest, I clipped the preplaced quickdraws for leading into my harness to keep my into the wall.

kjclimber

Aug 4, 2002, 4:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to rappel, not be lowered or climb down. Just need something to clip into while I set the line while I'm off belay...

jman

Aug 4, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to rapel off of the top of a gym lead route, to pratice for an outdoor sport lead, you better check with the gym before you try it. That's something that would get you kicked out of a gym if you don't have permission.

What I use to tie myself into anchors is either a daisy chain or sewn runners, both with locking carabiners.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook