Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

greenketch

Nov 11, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #51 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flat Slab [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll throw in another vote for Rufas's advice. Word on his balance comments. Pay particular attention to his comment about smooth transfer of weight. Watch a good slab climber and they have a constant subtle back and forth motion. When you are learning think of the process. 1)place a foot. 2) transfer your weight nice and smooth 3) place your other foot 4) transfer your weight nice and smooth repeat all the way to the top.

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 11, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #52 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The issue of helmets has been debated often enough that I’m hesitant to bring it up, but since this a new climber asking about slab, it’s appropriate. On relatively low angle slab, even if you do everything correct with respect to rope management and body positioning, it’s easy to fall in such a way that foot contact with the rock will tip you over. Because of this, I strongly recommend wearing a helmet while climbing slab.

One of the previous posters recommended pushing off from the rock when falling to avoid scrapes. No question about pushing off on a steep or overhanging wall or indoors, but it’s not an automatic call on a slab. The danger is that pushing off will result in tipping over. Also, taking some scraping on the hands to reduce the intensity of the fall may be the safest way to go. There are no general rules here. Each situation has to be judged considering such things as the angle of the wall, the roughness of the rock, and the length of the fall.

In 1993, I was at the scene of a fatal accident involving a fall on a slab. As a result, I’m rather cautious on this type of climbing.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

rufusandcompany

Nov 11, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #53 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The issue of helmets has been debated often enough that I’m hesitant to bring it up, but since this a new climber asking about slab, it’s appropriate. On relatively low angle slab, even if you do everything correct with respect to rope management and body positioning, it’s easy to fall in such a way that foot contact with the rock will tip you over. Because of this, I strongly recommend wearing a helmet while climbing slab.

One of the previous posters recommended pushing off from the rock when falling to avoid scrapes. No question about pushing off on a steep or overhanging wall or indoors, but it’s not an automatic call on a slab. The danger is that pushing off will result in tipping over. Also, taking some scraping on the hands to reduce the intensity of the fall may be the safest way to go. There are no general rules here. Each situation has to be judged considering such things as the angle of the wall, the roughness of the rock, and the length of the fall.

In 1993, I was at the scene of a fatal accident involving a fall on a slab. As a result, I’m rather cautious on this type of climbing.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

Your advice should be taken seriously, as the consequences of slab fall can be serious. As for pushing away from the slab or not, I would say that it should be evaluated when looking at the slab. The problem with skidding down a slab is that the amount of friction can change on a moment's notice, grabbing your foot and tossing you head over heels. This is where the fall becomes very dangerous.

hawthorne5630

Nov 11, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #54 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget, climbing shoe rubber is a REAL (not ideal) material, and all materials have a finite strength, that is they are not unbreakable. As the contact area of the shoe-on-rock decreases, the stress increases. When the stress exceeds the strength of the rubber it will fail and you will most likely fall. While the actual failure mechanism is probably very complex it is also very real. Take a look at the bottom of your shoes around the area where your big toe is. SO, slipping on a slab climb may not only be due to exceeding the friction force, but also due to exceeding the strength of the rubber.

Mark

Partner handtraverse

Nov 12, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #55 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rufusandcompany wrote:
In reply to:
Moreover, if Hand tries to turn this into an exercise in physics, he'll be spending most of his time hanging in his harness.

Rufus, I enjoy very much to hear all apects of a subject, in this case slabbing. If the physics of slabbing is addressed, I appreciate it only because of the greater knowledge and awareness it produces.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the application of what I learned, the basics is what I apply because that's what's most important to me at the time. So. in a manner of speaking, a knowledge of fine details broadens my understanding...personally, I find it helpful.

By the way, I went to a slab today and applied what YOU said. Yes YOU RUFUS!
I paid attention to my heel at various points of the slab I was on, I applied the idea of staying light on my feet, and moving slowly, keeping my body weight over the leg doing the work, shifting my weight calmly from one leg to the other, using my hands for balance not for pulling up. And you know what? It all worked! it was a great experience, albeit, the slab was probably only a 60 degree pitch, but it was good enough to practice on and it was definately a victory for me.

http://www.fauxandwood.com/lynnandtom1.JPG
Handtraverse

rufusandcompany

Nov 12, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #56 of 56 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rufusandcompany wrote:
In reply to:
Moreover, if Hand tries to turn this into an exercise in physics, he'll be spending most of his time hanging in his harness.

Rufus, I enjoy very much to hear all apects of a subject, in this case slabbing. If the physics of slabbing is addressed, I appreciate it only because of the greater knowledge and awareness it produces.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the application of what I learned, the basics is what I apply because that's what's most important to me at the time. So. in a manner of speaking, a knowledge of fine details broadens my understanding...personally, I find it helpful.

By the way, I went to a slab today and applied what YOU said. Yes YOU RUFUS!
I paid attention to my heel at various points of the slab I was on, I applied the idea of staying light on my feet, and moving slowly, keeping my body weight over the leg doing the work, shifting my weight calmly from one leg to the other, using my hands for balance not for pulling up. And you know what? It all worked! it was a great experience, albeit, the slab was probably only a 60 degree pitch, but it was good enough to practice on and it was definately a victory for me.

http://www.fauxandwood.com/lynnandtom1.JPG
Handtraverse

Congrats, hand. I'm glad that the advice worked out for you. To your credit, your success means that you correctly applied the techniques that I suggested. Keep fine tuning them on different slabs, and you'll have it down in no time.

Cheers,

KC

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook