RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

crimpinhard

Nov 15, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Climbing is blah
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced a climbing plateau in the aspect of desire to climb? Right now I am climbing harder than I ever have in the last 5 years, I am sending projects but there seems to be no satisfaction in any of it. I love climbing but just can't seem to any satisfaction out of it lately. I thought about taking a break but I don't want to loose all of the strength and endurance I have worked so hard for. Has anyone felt the same? What did you do to recover?

chanceboarder

Nov 15, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing is blah [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try to mix things up a bit. if you're a sport climber try some trad climbing. if you're a trad climber clip some bolts for a while. or maybe take up aid or bouldering. if you do it all then take up bowling and if all that fails just do some more drinking till you don't care any more :wink:

roshiaitareya

Nov 15, 2005, 5:21 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Throw in the towel... and while you're throwing things, throw your gear to me.

Partner tim

Nov 15, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What did you do to recover?

I got injured. A bit of forced time off ought to do the trick, it always does for me...

Fucking stewing right now, as my doctor specifically instructed me not to climb until my shoulder starts working properly again.

I broke a finger in an aid fall a few years ago and after spending a summer getting fat and weak, came back with a vengeance. Always seems to work that way for me.

Ha Ha Only Serious... :-?

jt512

Nov 15, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced a climbing plateau in the aspect of desire to climb? Right now I am climbing harder than I ever have in the last 5 years, I am sending projects but there seems to be no satisfaction in any of it. I love climbing but just can't seem to any satisfaction out of it lately. I thought about taking a break but I don't want to loose all of the strength and endurance I have worked so hard for. Has anyone felt the same? What did you do to recover?

I'm just coming back from a motivational low myself. Just take time off. Your strength and endurance will come back quickly once you start climbing again. Paradoxically, you may find that your movement and balance have improved following a layoff.

Jay

Partner baja_java

Nov 15, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I got injured. A bit of forced time off ought to do the trick, it always does for me...

Fucking stewing right now, as my doctor specifically instructed me not to climb until my shoulder starts working properly again.
oh no, tim! all that gear sitting around idling away. i'd be happy to take your big cams and stick them into like The Serrator at the Creek this weekend, you know, for you, to keep them in prime working condition :D

squierbypetzl

Nov 15, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sucks, don´t it?? I hate that feeling...

The bad news is, it happens. If you climb long enough you´ll get this feeling more than a couple times, and it feels horrible.

The good news is, it´s nothing new.
Really, it´s not that bad (though it feels like it now). It was happening to me a few months ago, then an injury made me remember how much I truly love it, how much I missed it.
And besides, lots of great climbers have taken time off from climbing, wether through injuries, boredom, or because they feel the need to do other things and get their lives in order (find their chi...). Even Chris Sharma took a year off from climbing in order to center himself, and, if I remember correctly, John Long is focusing on unicycling for a while, both of them with a lifetime devoted to climbing.

I´d say just chill, take some time off, do things with friends and go other places to do other sports. In time, you´ll come back, and you´ll be better for it. :wink:

Partner tim

Nov 15, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oh no, tim! all that gear sitting around idling away. i'd be happy to take your big cams and stick them into like The Serrator at the Creek this weekend, you know, for you, to keep them in prime working condition :D

In all seriousness, as long as you don't fix them, you can borrow any of my boat anchors that you'd like for the trip. My phone's on the fritz, but if you want to meet up, drop me an email. I'll be on the USC campus all week so it would be a quick trip over to Redondo Beach.

However, you're a butthole for reminding me that I'm missing fall desert season ;-)

Partner baja_java

Nov 15, 2005, 6:39 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In all seriousness, as long as you don't fix them, you can borrow any of my boat anchors that you'd like for the trip. My phone's on the fritz, but if you want to meet up, drop me an email. I'll be on the USC campus all week so it would be a quick trip over to Redondo Beach.

However, you're a butthole for reminding me that I'm missing fall desert season ;-)

i've never fixed a piece. i had built a pulley system once to get a piece out even. but if i do, you'll have your choice of replacement. i'd even smudge and scratch it up a little, so it wouldn't look too shiny new

the Creek again in the spring probably. want to do a wide crack weekend out there? Big Guy? Big Baby? Belly Full of Bad Berries? you can lead that last one. i'll pretend to follow and give it a couple umph's and give up, so we could just pull the rope

and oh, yeah, speedy recovery and all that :D

Partner baja_java

Nov 15, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yes, sticking to topic...

your friends can help motivate you too, by taking off with your gear to go climbing. what friends are for

wonderwoman

Nov 15, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This happens to me every year when it starts to get too cold and dark to climb outside and forced to go to the gym. Sort of like a seasonal climbing depression disorder!

Try mixing another activity into your regular routine or even take some time off. That's what I do while I wait for spring.

azrockclimber

Nov 15, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm just coming back from a motivational low myself. Just take time off. Your strength and endurance will come back quickly once you start climbing again. Paradoxically, you may find that your movement and balance have improved following a layoff.

Jay

i have found the same thing with movement and balance...unfortunately the strength doen't improve by taking time off.

That is sometimes worth it for me though. I do more..."you better not mess up here" 5.10 climbing then I do " okay..now do a one finger pullup" 5.hard climbing anyway.

g-funk
Deleted

Nov 15, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kayaking, skiing, biking, hang gliding. . .just snag another interest to mix it up for a little while.

Hit the slopes this winter and work the hang board when it's dumping. . .you'll come back pumped before the snow's off your local crag.

phillygoat

Nov 15, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also agree with the mixing it up suggestion, but would go a step further and make sure to switch up the difficulty, too. I tend to get burned out if I'm constantly thinking of projects rather than switching it up with good, easy lines.

crimpinhard

Nov 16, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice, I will probably chill for a while. Maybe take up knitting or something.

lewisiarediviva

Nov 16, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that with all the possibilities of other things to do in life, why worry about it- go have fun, that's more important.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook