Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Another A2 Pulley Thread...or is it??? (FUBAR'ed MCP)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

legion

Nov 29, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Another A2 Pulley Thread...or is it??? (FUBAR'ed MCP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two weeks ago while pulling off a tiny finger lock I had a loud pop in my ring finger with swelling, mild pain, and inhibited mobility immediately following.

I got into the doctors as soon as possible. He had me wiggle my fingers, took some x-rays, and told me it was my a2. I took his word for it and pretty much knew what that entailed. This thread would end here if that were the case.

After about five days or a week the swelling and pain goes down enough that I can get a handle on what is going on and it is my conclusion that it is not the a2, but rather something in the MCP joint.

I still have alot of swelling around the MCP and there is a lump on the back of my hand.

I can pull with the finger in both crimp and open positions. I have no pain or swelling in the region of the a2. I can bend my fingertip down and touch the pad of my hand.

What I can't do is straighten my finger at the MCP joint. About 40 degrees is as good as it gets for active range of motion. I can try to extend it while resisting pressure, no pain there so if it were an extensor tendon I think this would be painful. I can also twist the joint and flex it side to side which makes me think it is probably not a collateral ligament injury. Where I do have pain is at the MCP joint when I pinch the joint between my thumb and forefinger. What the heck is this? Some kind of injury to the joint capsule or volar ligament? And why can't I straighten my finger? Volar swelling binding the tendon, something trapped in the joint, or is the joint subluxed?

And yes, I am going back to the doctors, but they've been wrong before so I'm looking for outside advice until then.

desrtrockrat

Nov 29, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another A2 Pulley Thread...or is it??? (FUBAR'ed MCP) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I messed up a finger about 3.5 - 4 weeks ago and Im pretty sure it was my A2. How do I know? Well I dont. But Im going with it. I didnt get x-rays and just went to a natropath.

What I did do was ask just about every climber I knew if they had any info at all on what to do, and I got a lot of different opions. So many that I was more confused than ever. I went online and read chapters in medical books. I tried to be a spung and figure out the symptoms that were particular to my case and what they tended to indicate.

The one constant was take it slow, be careful and give it lots of rest. By rest I dont mean stop climbing but back it off. This was the only piece of advice that held constant among the dozens of sources and opinions that I managed to collect.

There as some vitamins as well. They got wierd names and I'll probably get the spelling wrong but if you have any intrest at all

Chondratin and MSN. You should be able to get tham at most grociers and health food stores. Im not sure your $ situation and vitamins can be expensive. However both claim to strenghten joints and conective tissue.

Other than that I wish you the best of luck and do be careful when it comes to the fingers. They can be tricky and one of the more frustrating /confusing injuries that climbers have to deal with.

Partner angry

Dec 12, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another A2 Pulley Thread...or is it??? (FUBAR'ed MCP) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was with you when this happened. I can say with all certainty, that what you were doing could not have injured your hand.

I think you were already injured.

Based on the type and area of the injury, it seems most likely that you overlubricated your hand and it slipped off. Thus slamming into whatever was in front of you (most likely a toilet seat or a sink).

To cover the embarrasment of such a dumb injury, you pretended to hurt yourself climbing.

It's sad really.

For recovery, I suggest you play with a high end yo-yo. It has twice the weight of a normal yo-yo and spins upward of 10,000rpm if you throw it right. And it's in the back of your truck.

If you break my yo-yo, I'll kill you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook