Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
No Woolite in Bolivia for washing my rope....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mentalmountain

Dec 8, 2005, 4:18 AM
Post #1 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

No Woolite in Bolivia for washing my rope....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all:
A few questions, I haven't found the woolite product you all talk about here in Bolivia for washing my rope... any suggestions on what other products I could use? Also, i bought my rope about a month ago and have used it plenty, is it ok to wash it now or should i give it some more time.... ? (Its already darker from all the friction with the quick draws). And finally, how often should i wash the rope and what is the limit of washes a rope can take? My rope is a dynamic 10.6 standard 60 meter PMI. Gracia's Amigos!

slavetogravity

Dec 8, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #2 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

Re: No Woolite in Bolivia for washing my rope.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All you need is a non detergent soap. Woolite doesn’t have a monopoly on non detergent soap. Any one will do. If that’s not an option, just use water. Throw it in the bottom of the bath tub and slosh it around rinsing it often. Do not dry it in the sun. There is no answer as to how many times you should wash a rope. I’ve never found a need to wash a rope more then twice before retiring it. The ware and tare of rock climbing will damage your rope far more then washing it ever will.

sbaclimber

Dec 8, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #3 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I wash my rope regularly, I have never used soap of any kind. I just toss it in the washing machine and wash it cold, with an extra rinse cycle. So far it has worked like a charm.

t-dog
Deleted

Dec 8, 2005, 4:33 AM
Post #4 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

humm, if your rope is only a month old, you shouldn't need to wash it, unless you've gotten it extremely dirty. The darkening from the carabiners and draws is normal, and you shouldn't need to wash your rope to clean it of that.

You should wash your rope once it gets excessively dirty from being dragged through dirt/sand/mud/rain, otherwise there really is no need. To wash it, just daisy chain the whole thing and stick it into the wash on low/soft (make sure the washer has no central pillar thing), with no, or very little soap, and voila.

Make sure you dry it out completely for a couple days before climbing on it again.

surf_crazy75

Dec 8, 2005, 5:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plain water will take care of the dirt and grit. I'm not sure how much oil from your hands a rope will accumulate but plain won't rinse that off. You'll need a non-detergent soap to get the oils out.

mentalmountain

Dec 8, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 6 (617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to everyone! all input very appreciated.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook