RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Dec 31, 2005, 1:58 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Yates M9 Handcuffs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

These are hard to find, harder to find info on. Seems like Yates and Mgear are the only two places to get them.

WHat do people think of these? I just ordered a pair. I had the older more basic yates leashes as well as the CM Saf-Locks both of which are still in service. This looks like a comfy leash and much nicer than anything BD makes.

The BD Androids were extremely overpriced IMO. And the Lockdowns are as well for a piece of webbing with a little foam.

skinner

Dec 31, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yates M9 Handcuffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WHat do people think of these?
I have never used them and don't know anyone who has, but they sure look awesome.

In reply to:
The BD Androids were extremely overpriced IMO. And the Lockdowns are as well for a piece of webbing with a little foam.

You know.. I think there is (2) types of Android leashes.
One type is just the buckle and clipper thing for the Viper-style, and the other is the one that attaches to the top of the tool and comes with a rubber coated hose clamp to hold the clip-on thing in place and keep it from flopping around.. is this what you are referring to: "the Lockdowns are as well for a piece of webbing" ?

pico23

Jan 1, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
WHat do people think of these?
I have never used them and don't know anyone who has, but they sure look awesome.

In reply to:

You know.. I think there is (2) types of Android leashes.
One type is just the buckle and clipper thing for the Viper-style, and the other is the one that attaches to the top of the tool and comes with a rubber coated hose clamp to hold the clip-on thing in place and keep it from flopping around.. is this what you are referring to: "the Lockdowns are as well for a piece of webbing" ?

Yep there are two types of Androids. Viper Androids and standard Androids. THe vipers are only meant to be used on the BD Viper. The Androids can be used on any tool.

There are also several other leashes in BD's Lineup. Lockdowns (just a slip knot padded with some foam), Sliders (very basic), and Robos.

THe main problem to me is the lack of available brands available. Seems like your choice is BD at places you can touch this stuff on the east coast.

skinner

Jan 1, 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep there are two types of Androids. Viper Androids and standard Androids. THe vipers are only meant to be used on the BD Viper. The Androids can be used on any tool.

I have a pair of Naja's which I love, and with very minimal modifications I was able to adapt the Viper Androids to them. I wouldn't say the BD is my choice, I do like the Androids though, and find them comfortable and easy to clip-unclip even with mitts on. But like you said it was an availability thing too. And they are a little pricey @ $90.00 CDN a pair :shock:

I also have a BD free leash with a similar cuff that works great on my Alpine axe, and it was only $25.00 It would work on ice tools but, you wouldn't be able to unclip which IMO would suck!

pico23

Jan 1, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="skinner"]
In reply to:

I also have a BD free leash with a similar cuff that works great on my Alpine axe, and it was only $25.00 It would work on ice tools but, you wouldn't be able to unclip which IMO would suck!

The price of the Androids was the thing the suprised me the most. $80 USD. It made me wonder if leashless climbing evolved from necessity to be free of overpriced leashes.

I have rarely however felt the need to be unclipped from my tools so I've avoided leashes that have a clip. I prefer to let them dangle when placing gear or simply oppening the cuff and letting the tool stick to the ice. It's a personal thing but I don't like extra points of failure. With a leash like the older CM Saf-Locks you could very easily escape the leash when needed but it was unlikely it would be falling down a pitch when you least expected.

Yates MADE a releasable M9 Handcuff but doesn't appear to anymore. I'll post a report on my review of the M9's once I get a chance to climb with them.

skinner

Jan 2, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The price of the Androids was the thing the suprised me the most. $80 USD. It made me wonder if leashless climbing evolved from necessity to be free of overpriced leashes.

:D

I am unclipping mine constantly.. I tend to cross and switch hands a lot. People are always telling me I should go leashless for this reason, but I have been the one retrieving these same peoples tools for them :?
I have become so proficient at clipping my Androids, that I really don't feel it's an issue.

I have tried leashless and just can't seem to relax my grip w/o my them. After a nice round of frostbite to the finger tips from gripping so hard as to cut off circulation, I went back to leashes.

Plus when I get totally pumped I can hang there like weakling until I am ready to go again :wink:

Really looking forward to hearing how the M9's work for you, had I seen them b4 I bought my Androids I would have got a set for sure. Maybe I can beg Yates into making me a set :)

mike_maude

Jan 4, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a pair for several years, and found them to be the most comfortable around, much more comfortable than the Androids. The only downside is that they're hard to get in and out of for placing gear; I ended up tightening one by twisting it rather than cinching the second strap down across the top of the wrist. That worked OK but didn't feel as secure. So I went back to Androids.

My wife also tried the detachable M9's, thought the design worked well in the store, but we both found it fairly awkward to release in practice. She went back to Androids too.

For TRing, there's nothing better.
mjm

jimdavis

Jan 4, 2006, 2:52 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/ice/M9.jpg
$53.50
http://www.yatesgear.com/...tm#4;M9%20Handcuff's
looks kinda like...

http://www.trango.com/.../ice/clutchleash.jpg
$17.95 http://www.trango.com/prod.php?id=7

Haven't used em, but they look very similiar. I use the CM Free-Locks and love 'em, definitly worth checking out.

Cheers,
Jim

pico23

Jan 4, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look similar but so does a Jaguar and a Hyundai.

Anyway, the Yates leash is designed to remain in the leash at all times. If I wanted releasable I'd get something releasable but I just let my tools hang.

Other advantage of the M9 is that it is a full strength runner. meaning the tools will fail before the leash when used for anchors or backups.

The trangos are a good deal though. Better than BD.

All said, including the $53 for the M9s my new tools cost a total of $210. Can't complain about that.

I wanted the Free Locks but couldn't find them and also am under the impression that they only work on CM tools from design of the ones I saw in person.

I guess I'll find out just how good they are in short time.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook