Forums: Community: Campground:
Re: The Government Is Trying To F*** Us Over Again....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Government Is Trying To F*** Us Over Again....
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my response to the aforementioned thread.

"Government of the people, BY THE PEOPLE, for the people" means that YOU have to govern our nation. I'm going to use JFK's famous quote: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

The government is trying to f*** us over because you are allowing them to. What have you done up until now to make changes in the way our nation works? Does it take some direct negative impact on your daily lives to realize that you need to protect your rights instead of falling for the slick campaign of a multi-billionaire Oil company owner?

Take a look in the mirror. What have you done to stop our government from becoming controlled by corporations? When was the last time your purchases were influenced by the need to conserve natural resources, including purchasing a highly fuel efficient vehicle (or riding a bicycle instead)?

For the economy to run as smoothly as possible, resources need to be cheap and readily available. You didn't know this already? You didn't know that resources come from the ground you walk/climb on, the air you breath? The attitude of "not in my backyard" only works for so long...once the other backyards are emptied of resources, your backyard is next. The only long-term solution to the problem of limited natural resources is to use renewable resources, and CONSERVE HEAVILY. Sorry, but you can't have your gas-guzzling SUV without oil, and you can't have oil without drilling.

If you care about our country, and want to make changes, do as I have and get politically motivated. Join www.moveon.org and start making donations or volunteering if you have no money. Vote progressive in the very important upcoming senate race.

To quote GW: "We need an economic policy that promotes consumption." This implies he wants to increase the rate we use up precious natural resources, counter to our need to preserve for the future.

Partner csgambill

Jan 4, 2006, 5:55 AM
Post #2 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Government Is Trying To F*** Us Over Again.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Silly liberals, facts are for conservatives. :lol:

ein_berliner

Jan 4, 2006, 8:15 AM
Post #3 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's not let them get away with it a third time, for god's sake.

Um...GW can only be elected twice, so I think that wish will be granted.

And besides, it's a bipartisan government for all intents and purposes. If it's not Dem or Rep, you're throughing votes away. :lol:

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 8:38 AM
Post #4 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edited out :)

sbaclimber

Jan 4, 2006, 8:48 AM
Post #5 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go fight in Iraq if you think Heir Bush is such a great guy.
Did you mean 'Herr Bush'? If you are implying that he is a Nazi, okay...(he may be an idiot, but I don't think he is a Nazi).....but do keep in mind that millions of Germans who are neither Nazis nor even like George W. still go by the 'Herr' title, and you should learn to at least spell your insults correctly.
Edit: actually, a more appropriate title to imply that Bush is a Nazi would be '...der Führer, Bush'.
Anyway, that aside, anything that anyone is doing to change the current government is probably a good thing. I still voted in the last presidential election (not for Bush of course), even though I haven't even lived in the states since 2000.

ein_berliner

Jan 4, 2006, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And remember that there are many military members that aren't super conservative that also go fight in Iraq. You're random insults aren't a convincing part of anything you are saying.

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 9:09 AM
Post #7 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edited out :)

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 9:20 AM
Post #8 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that got me thinking...

Conservatives that support the war in Iraq should get together and create a huge fund to pay the medical bills and lost wages of soldiers killed/maimed in battle. That includes full child support for children that are father/motherless. Let's see...2000 dead soldiers, assuming 1/3 are parents, with child support going at about 5k a year for 18 years...54 million dollars, just for child support. Let's see...30,000 wounded, with hospital visits going around 200 dollars each just for checkups, and guessing 2 visits a year for 4 years each, =48 million dollars. Lifetime of lost wages for those severely injured: guessing 2000 severely injured time s life net worth of about a million dollars = 2 billion dollars.

So, Conservatives, I'll believe that you support our troops when you raise over 3 billion dollars for a "support our troops" fund.

IF YOU ARE A TRUE AMERICAN, AND TRULY, HONESTLY SUPPORT THE WAR IN IRAQ, YOU WOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO DO THE ABOVE TO FURTHER "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS."

ein_berliner

Jan 4, 2006, 9:43 AM
Post #9 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of your statments are legitimate, some are just libel it seems. There are some limited funds for helping injured service members. The VA is an organization that helps out service members. Service members also don't pay for medical services performed on them, so anything that they receive as far as operations and medical attention while in the military is free.

There are problems for costs they will incur once they are separated from the armed forces and that has to be dealt with.

You seem to imply that the rich stay here in SUV's and that the underpriviledged go to war. One, they volunteered and are getting paid for their job. This is not a draft army and hasn't been since Vietnam. Two, I wonder if you know of anyone that has been forced to stay beyond their commitment. This can only happen in certain instances and only for limited periods of time.

I agree that more should be done for the troops including increased health benefits and compensation for injuries (though they do get that), a clear plan of withdrawl from the war, and increased body armor and vehicle armaments instead of overfunding the navy and air force.

You're statements assume that the majority of the armed forces and their families aren't conservative, which I think you woul find to be false.

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #10 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've strayed too far from the topic at hand...my goal was simply to motivate people to get politically active, hopefully on the progressive side of things.

Regarding the poor being targeted heavily by recruiters, they are. Also, military service is more attractive to people who can't afford college or don't have the grades to get scholarships. I know if I had the choice between working at McDonald's for the rest of my life or going to the military for a few years and getting paid, I'd probably do the military.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 4, 2006, 8:55 PM
Post #11 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've strayed too far from the topic at hand...my goal was simply to motivate people to get politically active, hopefully on the progressive side of things.

Sorry but this is hardly the appropriate forum for that kind of 'motivation'...

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 4, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #12 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

cliffhanger9 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 moved this thread from Access Issues & Closures to Community.

feanor007

Jan 4, 2006, 8:56 PM
Post #13 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
progressive
i'm gonna say that might be the most overused and meaningless political term ever. every side claims to be progressing towards somthing, the somthing is where the disagreement is.

also, why is this in access, shouldn't it be in community, as it no specific closures have been mentioned?

madriver

Jan 4, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #14 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm just sick of all the "support our troops" people driving SUV's from their high-paying job to their large home in the suburbs,

...what if we have (2) SUV's and (2) large homes....does it make it even worse? But I'm sure glad we are still consrcipting our armed forces....I mean hell... if it weren't for that we would probobaly have to cancel the draft....wait.....there is no draft....it's all voluntary....never mind....

thorne
Deleted

Jan 4, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #15 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My guess is this guy took his second dose about 11pm.

You go dog. Git on wit you bad self.

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #16 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Madriver, were you planning on opening up one of your homes to a family that lost theirs in Hurricane Katrina?

If not, that's ok. Afterall, you gotta have your space, right? And you gotta have a car big enough for all of your Wal-Mart shopping needs, too. I mean, what if you wanted to buy a big screen tv, how could you possibly transport that to your house if you didn't have an SUV? And also, what if you wanted to have Two big screens, well I mean of course you'd need a second house to put the second one in. And that's not even including your kids into the equation! What if they wanted a large play set, I mean then obviously you need a very large vehicle to transport it in.

collegekid

Jan 4, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #17 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to get back to summarizing my research from the last 5 months, before winter quarter starts on monday. PM me if this thread gets interesting.

robbovius

Jan 4, 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thorne, can'tcha just wait until THIS one turns 50...has two kids in college, is carefully doling out the monthly household expenses, workin' his 9-to-5, bitchin' about how hiw wife doens't put out anymore...

...AND RAGGIN ON COLLEGE KIDS GETTING ALL HET UP ABOUT POLITICALLY LIBERAL ISSUES??

heh.

collegekid, you have no idea what you're in for. ;-) we were ALL politically liberal activists once. you're pretty fricken naive if you think that you can alter the course of the federal government juggernaut in any time span that doesn't measure in decades.

check the thread yourself, knucklehead. ;-)

reno

Jan 4, 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #19 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Madriver, were you planning on opening up one of your homes to a family that lost theirs in Hurricane Katrina?

Safe to assume, then, that you've opened your home to a family and are currently living in the tent pitched in the backyard?

And an economy based on consumption is EXACTLY what we need. When people don't consume, they tend to call that a recession. If it goes on long enough, it's a depression. And those are typically bad (see: Great Depression, et al.)

madriver

Jan 4, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #20 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If not, that's ok.

...so...it's O.K if I get my dog a Yacht too?....kool....!!

...now....since you obviously have a lot of time on your hands....put it to good use. While you're in school why not perfect Cold Fusion....or...tort reform....or.....Solve World Hunger....or.....predicting Eathquakes....see....there's lots to do.....back to work my young friend. In the meantime....I've got to get all my crap from my southern house to my northern digs and I need another SUV to do it.....dig?

love

MR

dingus

Jan 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #21 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Conservatives that support the war in Iraq should get together and create a huge fund to pay the medical bills and lost wages of soldiers killed/maimed in battle.

Those would be called 'taxes.' What college do you go to again?

DMT

dingus

Jan 4, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #22 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One person making a low consumption lifestyle change will not have any effect whatsoever, except on that person. The only reason to change to a low consumption lifestyle is if it benefits or otherwise suits the individual.

Personally I see no reason to change, it won't make any real difference at all. It would mainly effect my kids, make them stand out like Quakers at a mall in Atlanta. Kids don't need that kind of shit.

I'm all for the progressive vote. Too bad there aren't any. If its any consolation, I voted for the Green party for one seat last election (Gov.)! Does that get me into heaven?

DMT

wjca

Jan 4, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #23 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Conservatives that support the war in Iraq should get together and create a huge fund to pay the medical bills and lost wages of soldiers killed/maimed in battle.

Those would be called 'taxes.' What college do you go to again?

DMT

Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me that the Department of Defense has a huge pile of money, originated from something called "taxes", that it uses to take care of the medical expenses of the soldiers that are injured fighting this bullshit war?

Okay, well, maybe the Conservatives that support the war should instead get together and create a huge fund to pay to all those soldiers (fighting in the bullshit war) some sort of stipend to live on later in life when they get older and retire. Maybe the same fund could pay some of the medical expenses of those elderly, ex-soldiers later in their lives as well.

What if they used some of that huge fund to do something that benefits all of us, like build some roads or something.

dingus

Jan 4, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #24 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What if they used some of that huge fund to do something that benefits all of us, like build some roads or something.

That would be something for sure!

DMT

madriver

Jan 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #25 of 73 (1899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...heh...

...you bitter, sarcastic, old men.....it's people like you that make America the rotten, war mongering, hate fostering, place that it is. If you guys would get off your arses and till the earth, or plant a tree, or build a hut next to your mansions (for the Katrina victims), then maybe....just maybe....we can survive.....anyway......I'm gettin ready to watch USC vs. Texas on my 98" Plasma Mega Screen......I can hear the trees being cut down as I grab another cold brew from 5th beverage refrig....ahhhhhhhhh....

USC ....and I'll give you 6....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook