RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

deltav

Jan 11, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #1 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Who Builds Gyms?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been searching for companies that build walls/gyms and seem to be only coming up with the same few: Eldorado, Solid Rock and Rockwerx. Is that all there is or is there more out there? How about ice walls? Who builds those?
Thanks

djlachelt

Jan 11, 2006, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who Builds Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are a few others:

Entre Prise (http://www.epusa.com) - You didn't look very hard if you didn't find these guys.

Leading Edge Climbing Walls (http://www.leadwall.com) - I don't know why they don't come up on search engines.

Monolithic Sculptures (http://www.monoscuplt.com) - Their stuff is absolutely beautiful and I believe unparalleled in its realism in look and feel. Some of the other builders claim they do a real-rock like stuff, but I don't believe it would be this nice. Mono is quite expensive.

Nicros best know for holds also builds walls.

Solid Rock Wall Systems is the old name for Rockwerx.

I don't know who builds ice walls.

eastcoast

Jan 11, 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #3 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our gyms have used Comp Wall www.compwall.net for our past 2 gyms. I think anybody would be psyched to have Jonah build their wall. Check out his latest and perhaps best work at http://earthtreksclimbing.com/images5/rockville/rockville-photo_gallery6.html
Feel free to contact me with questions.
Scot

deltav

Jan 11, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #4 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I have found Entre Prises before, and they do ice walls. For some reason, they were not coming up in my searches.

deltav

Jan 11, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #5 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I have come across Entre Prises before. They were one of the companies I was looking for. Dont know why they didnt show up on my searches. Still looking for ice walls though.

rockguide

Jan 11, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #6 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

High Performance Climbing Walls - http://www.climbingwalls.net/

gonz

Jan 11, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #7 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would vote for Leading Edge or Nicros. Leading Edge built both of the Rock'n & Jam'n walls in the Denver area, and they are well built and really well thought out features. Nicros has been building walls since the early 90's, and has it all figured out too. I think next to Entreprise (whose walls I think suck) they (Nicros) have the most square footage of wall experience out there. And lots of options depending on your budget.

deltav

Jan 11, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why does Entreprise suck?

musicman1586

Jan 11, 2006, 4:59 PM
Post #9 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I love the Entreprise wall at the gym on my campus, alot of great features and pretty good feel, there's some really great lines when you take all the holds off (or just ignore them). They did a great job simulating real rock in my opinion, however you are still lacking this thing called nature, but well can't have it all. :lol:

gonz

Jan 11, 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #10 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

cause I said so

jred

Jan 11, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #11 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The nature of the features limit the route setting potential and do not allow larger holds too be used. They do look cool though.

gonz

Jan 11, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #12 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The nature of the features limit the route setting potential and do not allow larger holds too be used. They do look cool though.

and that too.

Partner xcel360

Jan 11, 2006, 9:33 PM
Post #13 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at a gym made by Eldorado Wall Comapny (http://www.eldowalls.com/) and I really like it. Check it out.

glen

musicman1586

Jan 11, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #14 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually I think the features on the wall can often be a benefit to route setting, because it gives you options that you can't get with plastic holds, such as recessed pockets, 4 foot long under clings, cracks to jam in, etc. They can really add in your route setting if you approach them in the right way. However, what you say is also true, because not all holds can be placed at a particular spot, and often times the holds don't sit completely flush with the wall, so there tends to be on average a couple more holds broken then would happen at a gym with regular flat walls. Honestly though, I prefer it much better, I frequent a gym here in Austin that has the flat walls design, and I don't like it as much, despite that there's thousands of more sq. feet of climbing, I would actually prefer to be in the tiny lil gym on campus.

gonz

Jan 11, 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #15 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as routesetting goes, walls filled with features are great for folks that are not going to be frequenting that gym for years to come. If you are going to be climbing at the gym on a regular basis the same features will get quite old (and slimy) after a while, and soon will actually limit your routesetting potential unless you're willing to start having contrived routes where you can call certain features on/off. At that point it will start feeling like you're climbing at Mt. Charleston. :wink:

rm

Jan 11, 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #16 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello DeltaV,
I was checking out some of the web pages for the manufacturers given above. It looks like Entre Prises builds ice climbing walls. They built the one featured in past ESPN Winter X games. Just click on “Ice Climbing Walls” after going to there web page at:

http://www.epusa.com/walls/

Take care,
Ronnie Munoz

deltav

Jan 12, 2006, 5:54 AM
Post #17 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw that, but it is not real ice, just some styrofoam/plastic stuff. I know that there are refrigerated ice climbing gyms, I have talked to owners before. I just wasnt interested enough at the time to ask questions

rm

Jan 13, 2006, 3:11 AM
Post #18 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello DeltaV,
Entre Prises has built real ice walls, as well as the foam/plastic walls you described. After going to their web site (http://www.epusa.com/walls/), navigate to gallery, then Winter X-Games. There you will find photos and a brief description. I wanted to see if there were any in the US and I found a list with the location of indoor ice climbing walls through out the world. Don’t know how accurate it is but here is the link:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/iceclimbing.html

Take care,
Ronnie Munoz

chunky

Jan 18, 2006, 5:50 PM
Post #19 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As is the case with many things, different wall companies seem to specialize in different types of climbing walls. The gym I climb at in Boston(MetroRock) was built by Rockwerx and it's the best gym I've ever been to. When I was living in California, I was a member of Mission Cliffs which was built by Radwall. I have heard that Radwall isn't in business anymore though.

I have climbed on some Enterprise wall and they are ok but probably not what you would want to use in a gym. Maybe doing a small section using that kind of wall would be ok but I couldn't see how bouldering would be any good.

The Nicros ART wall sure looks nice but again probably better suited for a retail store. I would bet it is pretty expensive also.

If you are doing a big gym, I would look at Rockwerx or see if Radwall is still around.

Cheers

kletter1mann

Jan 19, 2006, 5:00 AM
Post #20 of 20 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are doing a big gym, I would look at Rockwerx or see if Radwall is still around. Cheers

Your point on RockWerx is well taken. The 3 newest gyms in the northeast (including metrorock) were all done by RockWerx. And they're working on another large project in NY. It's probably worth finding out why this is so.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook