Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Jan 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Digital photography fraud beginning to show ramifications
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We had a thread a while back where I expressed dismay at the casual way climbing photos are digitally manipulated. I felt (and feel) this routine post processing threatens the integrity of climbing shots in general.

I was laughed at of course. "Why, Ansel Adams manipulated his photos too, you simpleton child!" Was about the best reply, paraphrased of course. But it basically came down to: we all do it, we always did it, we'll always do it, only a noob would not do it.. Others pointed out the extreme lengths climbing photogs will go to stage a shot, etc. Sadly, with tears in my one good eye, I had to accept the bitter truth that there were fakes in the world of climbing photography and I lacked the good sense to detect them.

Conclusion - climbing photos are digital art. They aren't fake. But they don't show reality either. Accept no photograph as proof of anything (other than the graphic designer's skill).

So I came across this article today:

In reply to:
An explosion of new digital image technology has left many of the world's top biology journals vulnerable to fraud, scientists say.

The same advances that have given consumers inexpensive digital cameras -- and software to easily copy, crop, or alter an image with a few clicks -- have also proven a temptation for unscrupulous researchers. Federal science fraud investigations involving questionable images have grown from 2.5 percent of the cases in 1989-90 to 40.4 percent in 2003-04, according to the federal Office of Research Integrity, which investigates scientific misconduct."

http://www.boston.com/...ulation_of_research/

Of course climbing doesn't matter. I do wonder how and to what extent the climbing rags are already screening for cheats. Man would they get no end of grief if for example they pubbed a shot of some dude free soloing some heinous route and only found out later the rope was photoshopped out.

DMT

caughtinside

Jan 16, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #2 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Re: Digital photography fraud beginning to show ramification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...to_show.php?id=28140

Here's me, uh, leading. 8^)

woj12_16

Jan 16, 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #3 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, this has been happening for years, in the biology world at least. National Geographic has been a main victim/producer of these shots. Think about it. It's a lot cheaper to get shots of a tiger pouncing on it's prey in a zoo and photoshop the background, then too hire a photographer to fly to Africa for a month and get the same shot... if he's lucky...

dingus

Jan 16, 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, this has been happening for years, in the biology world at least. National Geographic has been a main victim/producer of these shots. Think about it. It's a lot cheaper to get shots of a tiger pouncing on it's prey in a zoo and photoshop the background, then too hire a photographer to fly to Africa for a month and get the same shot... if he's lucky...

Interesting. So catching a tiger pounce is as difficult as catching the real send of a cutting edge free solo I guess?

DMT

cowpoke

Jan 16, 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #5 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I came across this article today:

In reply to:
An explosion of new digital image technology has left many of the world's top biology journals vulnerable to fraud, scientists say.

The same advances that have given consumers inexpensive digital cameras -- and software to easily copy, crop, or alter an image with a few clicks -- have also proven a temptation for unscrupulous researchers. Federal science fraud investigations involving questionable images have grown from 2.5 percent of the cases in 1989-90 to 40.4 percent in 2003-04, according to the federal Office of Research Integrity, which investigates scientific misconduct."

http://www.boston.com/...ulation_of_research/

Of course climbing doesn't matter. I do wonder how and to what extent the climbing rags are already screening for cheats. Man would they get no end of grief if for example they pubbed a shot of some dude free soloing some heinous route and only found out later the rope was photoshopped out.

DMT
Makes me wonder: if climbing magazines conducted similar investigations into climbing photography, would the percent questionable images be similar? 40% is a lot, but is there any reason to think that climbing photographers are more ethical than biologists? To some extent, the incentive to "cheat" appears similar: publish or perish.

pdx_climber

Jan 16, 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #6 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Through the wonders of Photoshop I've turned casual lead climbs into ballsy free-solos before; it's surprisingly easy to digitally remove someone's harness and rope. All in good fun of course, but it's easy to see how people can take advantage of it.

climbsomething

Jan 16, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #7 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're not giving a lecture I haven't already heard as a journalist.

http://angelingo.usc.edu/...hics/photostop_1.jpg, anybody?

roy_hinkley_jr

Jan 16, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #8 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming that it does happen...so what? Climbing is only a game. Not like a manipulated photo really matters.

After all, our moral leaders, such as Tom DeLay and GW Bush, have endorsed "anything goes, it's the results that count." Certainly we shouldn't be held to a higher standard than these great patriots.

tweek

Jan 16, 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #9 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's a lot cheaper to get shots of a tiger pouncing on it's prey in a zoo and photoshop the background, then too hire a photographer to fly to Africa for a month and get the same shot... if he's lucky...

Ya, I love it when they release the heard of antelopes in the lion pit in the zoo. Then they have to run and take them down after the twenty minute chase in their twleve by twelve cage. It is awsome.

Then they have to dress people up in tribal dress from the sahara to have the people aspect of the story.

I guess what I am thinking is do you have any proof/ example/facts that you base this on? It sure sounds like an internet rumor to me. Especially with the quality of photography that N.G. is well known for.

scottquig

Jan 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #10 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I edit my digital photos, I try to stick to the tools available to the film photographer (dodge, white balance, etc). This way I'm producing a mostly-accurate shot that looks good too! When I totally mod my picture (look in my photos, there's one of a guy "freesoloing"), I mention it.

daithi

Jan 16, 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #11 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Interesting. So catching a tiger pounce is as difficult as catching the real send of a cutting edge free solo I guess?

DMT

I'd imagine the free soloist would be a bit more obliging and amenable to having his photograph taken than the tiger.

dingus

Jan 16, 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #12 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'd imagine the free soloist would be a bit more obliging and amenable to having his photograph taken than the tiger.

I wouldn't count on it!

DMT

saxfiend

Jan 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #13 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's a lot cheaper to get shots of a tiger pouncing on it's prey in a zoo and photoshop the background, then too hire a photographer to fly to Africa for a month and get the same shot... if he's lucky...
Extraordinarily lucky, since there are no tigers in Africa :D

JL

saxfiend

Jan 17, 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #14 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We had a thread a while back where I expressed dismay at the casual way climbing photos are digitally manipulated. I felt (and feel) this routine post processing threatens the integrity of climbing shots in general.
I don't recall reading the other thread on this subject, but I don't like the idea of digital manipulation when it's used to alter reality. As far as I'm concerned, enhancing what's there is no big deal (like in the darkroom, as scottquig said). But using photoshop (or whatever) to alter what was happening when the picture was taken (e.g., making a climber's rope disappear) is something else altogether.

I can't imagine why someone would take pride in a photo that intentionally misrepresented reality. I don't have the skills to do that sort of thing, but wouldn't if I could; to me, it would be like taking credit for redpointing a 5.11 that I actually hangdogged. As long as I knew I was lying, it would spoil it for me.

JL

billl7

Jan 17, 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #15 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Assuming that it does happen...so what? Climbing is only a game. Not like a manipulated photo really matters.

After all, our moral leaders, such as Tom DeLay and GW Bush, have endorsed "anything goes, it's the results that count." Certainly we shouldn't be held to a higher standard than these great patriots.
Not sure what part if any of this is not sarcasm. But there was a republican campaign picture that got yanked because it had been doctored to show more folks in military uniform in the crowd than there really were - something very similar to that.

As for modifying photos or not I would say that if you are trying to get at the truth of something such as a) whether lots of military folks like Bush OR b) whether Roy climbed A Date With Death without any protection), then stick to the truth. Else, there is room for poetic license.

cchildre

Jan 17, 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #16 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is going to happen and nothing will ever be able to be done about it. This is like when they detonated the first nuclear bomb. It became the 'ultimate' weapon and every country on the earth wanted one, if they could afford it. Thankfully at the time, it cost so much to develop a single bomb that until recently only seven or eight countries had the finances to pursue them. Here, we are talking about less than a thousand bucks, and you can fabricate just about any image that one would want. I knew a guy in town that was printing money with his setup 10 years ago. Made it work for almost two weeks before they nabbed him, and deported him. So today your going to be hard pressed to tell a high quality fake. A skilled fabricator can eliminate all but the most minute evidence of how they manipulated the image. Just an opinion though.

woj12_16

Jan 17, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #17 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, i dont know why everyones getting their panties tied in a bunch over all of this. There's no reason to get pissed off at people like me who like to photoshop in a rope and a harness when, in fact, im really freesoling the hardest crags. I'm gonna do it whether you like it or not!!

t-dog
Deleted

Jan 17, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #18 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhm, it's already happening guys!!!

And from the company you would least expect it to come from.....

drum roll please.......

BD.

yup, it's true, about 2 years ago a BD poster came out with a guy leavitating up a fat Indian Creek crack, #5 BD in hand. Exact same shot was also in a magazine ad where you can see he has a cam set in the crack right in front of him. Dunno if the photog gave them 2 diff versions, or they chose to photochop it themselves, but doomsday is upon us!!!!

climbsomething

Jan 17, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #19 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

t_dog, that's a pretty serious accusation. Can you back that up?

timstich

Jan 17, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #20 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're not giving a lecture I haven't already heard as a journalist.

http://angelingo.usc.edu/...hics/photostop_1.jpg, anybody?

That was a photo composite of two shots taken just moments from each other, which resulted in a more dramatic composition in the photojournalist's mind. What a rube!

zozo

Jan 17, 2006, 2:36 AM
Post #21 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did'nt the Bush Administration clone in a bunch of soldiers at a Bush speech? Off to find the pic.

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/...ots/whatever-med.jpg

lewisiarediviva

Jan 17, 2006, 2:45 AM
Post #22 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Digital manipulation is just a branch off the good old tree of human manipulation. It's happening all around us in everything you see, touch, smell, and hear. Some of it's artistic and/or fun, some of it is manipulation.

hillbillywannabe

Jan 17, 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #23 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will cut out the rope that is going to the anchor for a top rope when i can, but deception is wrong, i dont care who did it.

billcoe_

Jan 17, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #24 of 55 (11494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Signifigantly so, especially since there are no tigers in Africa, except in zoos. Photog would be waiting.........and waiting......and waiting. Suprised no one else noticed this geographic faux pas.

"african tiger habitat" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

t-dog
Deleted

Jan 17, 2006, 4:38 AM
Post #25 of 55 (11344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
t_dog, that's a pretty serious accusation. Can you back that up?

I'll check back home if I still have the poster. The magazine ad shouldn't be hard to find, but the poster might be a little harder to come by. And yes, I remember specifically comparing both side by side because I was surprised at the discrepancy.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook