RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Partner philbox

Jan 23, 2006, 2:11 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

3 rescues in one week (with pics).
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For about ten years now I have been involved in an organisation called Federation Mountain Rescue. This org has been in operation for over 50 years and operates in South East Queensland, Australia.

I`m now their training officer and am also one of their rescue leaders. Things have been pretty quiet as far as being called out goes due to public liability insurance etc. which hobbled the organisation. We also had difficulties due to turf wars with another government rescue organisation.

Be that as it may all that is pretty much resolved and we are once again being looked to to provide personnel i/e fit bodies on the ground who know their way around mountainous tropical rainforest.

The terrain around South East Queensland has been described as the Southern Hemispheres Switzerland. Sure we never get snow but if you replace the snow with verdant sub tropical rainforest jungle you will get some sort of idea of the sort of terrain that people can go out in and get lost.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=15639

This is the sort of thick sub tropical jungle that one can expect to find at times. Believe it or not but there is a huge 400 metre rock face just behind those trees.
Due to the overhanging thick jungle canopy it is sometimes not possible to find those lost on the ground, in fact aircraft have gotten lost in this terrain and have only been stumbled on years later by bushwalkers out checking out new territory. If a lone person gets lost then it can become a major effort to find them particularly if they are unresponsive.

Early last week I was minding my own business making something to eat for tea and the phone rang. It was Ron Farmer the president of FMR who informed me that I was needed on a call out on Mt. Barney. I quickly finished off what I was doing and threw my stuff in the truck and headed down that night for an early start on Tuesday morning.

Mt. Barney is a rather large (for this area) mountain with numerous steep ridges and gorges flanking its vast sides. As is common there is a deal of sub tropical jungle that could hide a party.

A party of two had become lost on the Sunday night in miserable conditions. Fortunately it was summer so the rain and drizzle would merely make for uncomfortable nights.

It was intended that we would be helicoptered up to the summit and make our way down the various ridges and gorges. Due to the lowering sky that was not possible and all teams had to first make their way up the slippery ridges.

I and three others were tasked with heading up Peasants Ridge and to pass through Rum Jungle and then descend via Barney Gorge. The Gorge would have been quite treacherous with the amount of water flowing down it so we took a light rope to assist our passage over the exposed slabs.

We joined up with another crew to make our way up the mountain. Coms were a problem in the torturous mountain terrain but fortunatley I had taken my mobile phone with me and surprisingly I had pretty good coverage.

We heard the helicopters clattering away looking over the lower slopes of the mountain. As we neared the notch before descending the short distance to Rum Jungle I checked in via phone and got a message bank. I received a call back when we got to Rum Jungle advising that we were being recalled as the lost party had been found. So after climbing an estimated elevation gain of a thousand metres we turned around and trudged back down the mountain. It`s all good though, this is what happens on a rescue. Many teams go out but only one team will find the lost party. A Channel Seven chopper spotted them on a ridge above Barney Gorge. They had heard the choppers and determined to be seen climbed out of the Gorge and onto a ridge so they would be more visible. Smart thinking on their part.

It turns out that after they had ascended Peasants Ridge they made their way up to East Peak but became disorientated on the way back down due to the fog and cloud they became enveloped in. They spent two uncomfortable nights out in the elements.

The weather turned just after they were found and the rain set in and the visibility was greatly reduced. The weather window saved us all a lot of wild descents. It was definitely prudent to send the crews up because if the weather window had not appeared then the crews on the ground would be needed to continue.

I reckoned that I needed to become more familiar with the mountain so the following weekend I made my way back to Mt. Barney to climb Logans Ridge and then descend via South East Ridge.

I dropped into Barney Lodge to see the owners and let them know that Cameron and I were heading up the mountain. They informed me that a party was overdue and was expected back the afternoon before. Since I had my radios in the truck I let them know that I would maintain radio contact with them via the small handheld units.

We got under way with the understanding that we were now on another call out. We were Johnny on the spot so to speak. The other party of four had also gone up Logans Ridge so we did not have to alter our plans.

During our climb we tended to stick to the exposed rocky spine of the ridge. More fun climbing on rock than detouring around on the track. We also took time out to take a look across the immense 400 metre East Face. When we got to very close to the top we were advised that the other party had just walked in to base. Awesome, we could now continue with our plans.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68134

The rocky spine of Logans Ridge.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68135

One of the rare level sections of Logans Ridge with North Peak in the background.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68136

Looking across the massive East Face with Mt. Lindsay beyond the South East Ridge in the background. It really is hard to guage how huge this face is from just photos.

After surmounting the last difficult rock climbing section of the ridge and we sat on the top of East Peak we took in the panoramic views. We were 1100 metres odd above our starting point of that morning.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68137

Cam and Phil consulting the guidebook on East Peak, Mt. Lindsay beyond in the background.

We descended to Rum Jungle losing 250 metres of elevation so that we could replenish our water from the creek at the top of Barney Gorge.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68138

Cam luxuriating in the coolness of the mountain stream in the top of Barney Gorge.

After checking out the camp site at Rum Jungle and the old hut site and cooling off in the creek we again made our way back up to East Peak.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68139

Cam is resting whilst I take in the view down into Rum Jungle with West Peak beyond.

We found an awesome slab to play on but it caned our bare feet. After Cam had a solo we set up a top rope and sent a few new routes.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68140

Cam on the slabs on the way back up to East Peak from Rum Jungle.

We camped on top of East Peak and we expected to grab some speccy sunset shots but the cloud descened on us so we just played cards instead. What we didn`t expect was that the cloud continued to descend and the tops of the cloud eventually rested far below us which put us in a veritable fairyland. This enabled us to break the cameras out and we occupied ourselves for ages taking timelapse pics of the moon rising over the ocean of cloud.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68132

Looking down over Logans Ridge.

We got ourselves back comfortable in bed and started to play cards again when Cam started to rant and bellow about the huge spider he was looking at, at first I could not see it but then it moved over our gear stwoed at our heads. It was huge, one of the biggest spiders I have ever seen. To prove how big it was I threw a playing card down beside it and took a pic. Its body was as big as my thumb. My outstretched fingers resembled the stretch of its legs.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68133

The harmless but nevertheless scary huntsman spider.

The Huntsman Spider spooked me for the rest of the night so I plastered myself with insect repellant, that should ward off the beasties. We were only camped under a fly and not a tent so there was no actual physical barrier to keep the nasties out.

During one hand of cards Cam leapt out of bed and started to hop around on one foot exclaiming wildly about having just been bitten on the foot by one of the dirty great inch and a half long ants. We starting to feel like the guys in the latest King Kong movie, trapped in the bottom of the dark deep trench being assailed by giant bugs and other assorted nasties.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68141

The sunrise in the morning was absolutely beautiful and we both managed to shoot some pretty good pics.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68143

We then found our way to the start of the descent down South East Ridge.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68145

Cloud obscures the descent down the South East Ridge, Logans Ridge is clearly seen on the left however. We have to make our way all the way down as far as the eye can see.

After checking back in with the good folks of Barney Lodge Cam and I parted company and off we drove. Just after jumping in the truck to head home I was listening to the news and the announcer declared that a base jumper had gotten themselves stuck on a cliff very close to where I was and that both the SES and FMR had been called out. I immediately checked in with Ron Farmer the head of FMR and he advised me that no such call out had been directed to FMR.

We decided that I should make my way over to Christmas Creek and act as an observer, this way we would know what is going on and also not step on any toes.

Christmas Creek is in the Gold Coast Hinterland of South East Queensland. The cliff that the base jumper had come to grief on was called Fort Buchanan. It is in the Lamington National Park, another huge rainforested mountainous area.

I gleaned some info from the policemen that were in charge of the scene both of whom I knew. One of the cops was an old climber friend of mine. Score, I`m in.

The base jumper launched but his chute billowed in towards the cliff and snagged on some vegetation about 60 metres below the jump off point with a further 100 metres of cliff below. His partner crawled out as far as he dare and determined that his mate was OK. The bloke on stuck on the wall had shouted up that he was fine. Thus comforted the second jumper launched off and headed down to start his own rescue. He was more than capable to effect a rescue as he was a climber of many years standing and great ability.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68146

Base jumper on wall with SES rescuers descending down to him.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68147

Fort Buchanan with the tiny dot of the base jumpers chute near the centre of the wall.

During this exchange by the base jumpers there was an old couple sitting on the veranda of their isolated farm house who just happened to have a great view of the cliff. They immediately called the cops who upon activation took charge of the situation and thus the state emergency service became the agency responsible for the safe rescue of the base jumper.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68149

The chopper takes another load up the mountain.

The SES were choppered up to the summit as well as 2 further choppers full of rescue gear. They had previously decided not to effect a helicopter rescue as that may have dislodged the base jumper who was still connected to his chute.

The person on the wall had gotten a hold of a couple of pretty good handholds. Due to the chossy nature of the cliff he was also ablo to improve his position on the wall by kicking a small ledge into the choss.

Meanwhile down in the paddock beside the road I was yarning to the cops when behind me a voice spoke, it was Mark another good friend and climber. It was he who was the second base jumper. He had sought me out after recognising me and he was needing me to shield him from the thronging media.

There were all the TV stations represented there as well as the newspaper. Mark was being pestered for the real story or any sort of comment. He made it abundantly clear that he had no comment to make. After the media spotted me talking to Mark they then wanted me to make comment, no comment was the reply.

The SES guys were then seen to be descending down to the rescuee. After tehy got to him they had problems with friction over the edge and the rescuer and rescuee were then lowered to a small ledge whilst the rope was adjusted. 3/4 of an hour later the haul was completed and then the helicopter was dispatched back up to the summit to bring the poor guy who needed rescuing down to meet the vultures of the media pack. Of course the cops had questions first and so after that was completed the media had their way with the rescuee.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68150

Chopper coming in to land with the poor chappy on board.

I had fun taking pics of the media doing their vulture circling tactics. Then I made my way down to the campground and bid my goodbyes to Mark who I had previously taken down so he could once and for all get out of the media spotlight.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=68151

Hungry media vultures circling in wait for their victim.

Good times, all three parties within a week met with good outcomes.

moose_droppings

Jan 23, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Re: 3 rescues in one week (with pics). [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great report Phil, glad to hear all were OK.
Damn nasties anyway :)

Partner csgambill

Jan 23, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like an exciting couple of days. Nice recap.

sarcat

Jan 23, 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great to read others situations during rescues. Glad that all seems OK. Thanks for spending the time to write it down and share your pictures.

tuna

Jan 23, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good story and nice pictures.
I only have criticism for the media vultures comment.
If the media was reporting the events by portraying the climbers/base jumpers in a negative way then I think vultures is a good description. If not then you only jeopardize the positive impact that the media can have in showing the public the benefits of tax dollars or contributions to search and rescue operations.
So how about completing the story by explaining your reasoning for such descriptions and if possible how the story was covered by those so called media vultures.

Partner philbox

Jan 23, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #6 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good story and nice pictures.
I only have criticism for the media vultures comment.
If the media was reporting the events by portraying the climbers/base jumpers in a negative way then I think vultures is a good description. If not then you only jeopardize the positive impact that the media can have in showing the public the benefits of tax dollars or contributions to search and rescue operations.
So how about completing the story by explaining your reasoning for such descriptions and if possible how the story was covered by those so called media vultures.

Good call tuna.

Okay, the perspective of the vultures was cultivated within the story by Mark the second jumper. He had had some rather negative experiences with the media in times past. He asked me not to comment to the media about any aspect of the story that was told to me in private and thus I had to accede to his request.

The media circling around swooping on any tidbit of information also lent them an air of vultures circling around waiting for whatever presented itself to them. After the poor chap was rescued the media swooped on him like a pack of ravenous wolves. They were actually chasing him around shoving microphones at him. The Policemen acted very apropriately and cordially asked them to back off which they acceded to then it was off to be interviewed by the cops after which the circus started back up again.

Sure the media have a job to do and they exercise diligence in getting the story. That is their job of which I have no problem. I didn`t even have a problem with their behaviour on the day, they were just doing what they have to do. I pitied the poor chap who needed rescuing. Nothing could save him from the embarrassment of having cameras and microphones shoved in his face.

My only problem with the media is that they now have a reputation to live down of twisting facts and outright invention to make a good story. thus Mark was unwilling to feed "the vultures".

If it were me I would have attempted to portray my chosen sport in a good light, unfortunately BASE jumping is seen as an "extreme" sport and it has been portrayed in a very negative light in recent times. Mark thought it better not to comment than to have his words available for twisting.

Not having had a bad experience I am relying on the experience of others. Yes it could be argued that this is third hand evidence but there is enough bad stories out there to lend me pause before giving total credence to the media being pure in motivation.

Yes, Virginia, we all have our own biases and agendas. You are seeing mine above.

Again thanks for asking the question and for the opportunity for me to clarify.

I really dunno what I would do if faced with similar circumstances and it was I that had to face the media in a rather embarrassing situation such as this young man had faced.

Perhaps we should all have a stategy worked out beforehand. I know that when on a large scale rescue there is a requirement that no one speaks to the media except for the media liason officer. This way there is no ability for the media to divide and conquer. Everyone always has a different perspective on any one situation. Thus the media can create controversy out of peoples natural inconsistencies.

I wasn`t going to play that game and neither was Mark.

cupton

Jan 23, 2006, 5:38 AM
Post #7 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tuna-
In my seven years doing mountain rescue I have found the media to be far more harmful than helpful. Yes, the media can be used in a positive way but most of the time, in my experience, the media is looking for a sensational story and does not have the subject or the rescuers best interest at heart. Many situations that I have been involved with I would say that vultures is an accurate description of the media.

And Phil, thanks for a good writeup of a exciting week of positive outcomes. Definitely an enjoyable read of how rescue functions down under. Best of luck to you and to FMR.

Partner j_ung

Jan 23, 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil, by posting this, aren't you, in effect, a media vulture? :P :P :P :lol:

kachoong

Jan 23, 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right in the thick of it I see, Phil. Great stuff. Looks like you and Cam had a great time up there on Logans. Beautiful photos, mate. Love the sunset and sunrise pics. It's good to see stories on the site that go off on tangents.
:righton:

ddt

Jan 23, 2006, 4:00 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great story Phil... thanks for posting! That night up on the mountain above the clouds sounds amazing.

Daniel

majid_sabet

Jan 24, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #11 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great photos and story
I thought 3-7 calls in a week was too much till I ended up in Chamonix, France. Talk about 3-5 aday totaling near 1200-1500 per year.

wjca

Jan 24, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great TR, but at what point during the ordeal did you "Throw some shrimps on the barbie"?

veganboyjosh

Jan 24, 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great post, thanks phil!

Partner philbox

Jan 26, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Great TR, but at what point during the ordeal did you "Throw some shrimps on the barbie"?

Nope, the SES boys put on some snags on the barby after the first rescue. Chepos, they shoulda layed the prawns on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook