Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

"Heritage Bolts"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many people think old bolts should be left to rust away? Okay, now that you have the jist of things....

The history: Where I do most of my climbing, there was a spurt of route development around the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s. Many of these routes were very bold and done very much in a gritstone style (1 bolt/route, maximum, and only as a very last resort).

Today: 25 years later, many of those bolts are starting to get rather manky, and in my opinion are good candidates for replacement.

Anyway, I was talking to a climber from that era the other day, who did quite a bit of gritstone climbing as well, and has what I found to be a rather unique view on whether those bolts should be replaced or not.

He was of the opinion that those bolts are part of the "climbing heritage", a bit of the history from that period of development, and should not be replaced. He thinks they should be left to rust away. Basically, for the sake of history, leaving climbers with 3 options:
1) the bolt is still okay, use it
2) the bolt is not okay, free solo the route
3) the bolt is not okay or the climber doesn't trus it, don't climb the route (or TR it)

Are there other people out there who share this person's opinion, or is he a one of a kind? I am curious to hear what other people's opinion is on this one!?

Edit: I hope I put this if the right forum, maybe it would have been better in History & Trivia??

Partner the_mitt

Jan 23, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #2 of 34 (10045 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Heritage Bolts" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it depends on what you are truly asking. Are you asking to replace manky and possibly dangerous bolts or are you asking to add more bolts to already existing lines? or both? 2 very different topics both very worthy of troll points :)

Mitt

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 9:32 PM
Post #3 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think it depends on what you are truly asking. Are you asking to replace manky and possibly dangerous bolts or are you asking to add more bolts to already existing lines? or both? 2 very different topics both very worthy of troll points :)
Mitt

mmmm, troll points...... :D

I specifically said "replace"! This has absolutely nothing to do with adding bolts to a route. That would be retro-bolting, and is a whole other kettle of fish!

d1ll1gaf

Jan 23, 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #4 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well since you asked for opinions:

A new bolt should be added to the route to replace the old unsafe bolt. Nothing is worse than not trusting your protection, and a climber who starts a route expecting a bomber bolt would be in for a big surprise to encounter a piece of "Heritage".

Allowing a bolt to rust away will have a much larger visual impact on the rock that placing a new bolt (visualize nice long rust streaks down the rock)

Just my 0.02 cents

Partner the_mitt

Jan 23, 2006, 9:38 PM
Post #5 of 34 (10045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I thought you were leading us down the retro-bolting conversation. I'd say speak with a few people in the community and then just do it.

Mitt

climbingnurse

Jan 23, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #6 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should put the duffer in question into a museum with his bolts. I think he is being overly sentimental about an old piece of metal. As someone already said, all you'd really be doing is returning the routes to their original condition.

If the local community really feels that strongly about leaving the bolts, I'd advocate placing a new bolt (perhaps a glue-in?) right next to the old bolt. See how they feel about that.

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #7 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry I thought you were leading us down the retro-bolting conversation.

No worries, definitely don't want to rehash the whole retro-bolting thing.

In reply to:
I'd say speak with a few people in the community and then just do it.
In reply to:
If the local community really feels that strongly about leaving the bolts, I'd advocate placing a new bolt (perhaps a glue-in?) right next to the old bolt. See how they feel about that.
Actually, I didn't mean to imply that I was planning on replacing anything (I am not). And, this person's opinion does not seem to be shared by most people within the local 'climbing community' (thankfully, imo).

Great feedback so-far everyone!

Partner euroford

Jan 23, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #8 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yank em out and send em to Neptune.

josephgdawson

Jan 23, 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #9 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He is out of his fucking mind. Chop them and replace them.

Partner angry

Jan 23, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #10 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In general, I'd say replace.

Use judgement though, I've seen climbs that were tainted if not ruined by the ASCA.

Not to start a flame war or anything.

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #11 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've seen climbs that were tainted if not ruined by the ASCA.
Out of curiosity, did they only replace the bolts that were there, or was there some retro-bolting involved?

Edit: scratch that, I just saw that their policy is, "We do not add bolts..."

veganboyjosh

Jan 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #12 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many people think old bridges should be left to rust away? Okay, now that you have the jist of things....

The history: Where I do most of my driving, there was a spurt of bridge development around the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s. Many of these bridges were very bold and done very much in a cobblestone bridge style (1 lane/bridge, maximum, and only as a very last resort).

Today: 25 years later, many of those bridges are starting to get rather manky, and in my opinion are good candidates for replacement.

Anyway, I was talking to a driver from that era the other day, who did quite a bit of cobblestone driving as well, and has what I found to be a rather unique view on whether those bridges should be replaced or not.

He was of the opinion that those bridges are part of the "driving heritage", a bit of the history from that period of development, and should not be replaced. He thinks they should be left to rust away. Basically, for the sake of history, leaving drivers with 3 options:
1) the bridge is still okay, use it
2) the bridge is not okay, ford the river
3) the bolt is not okay or the driver doesn't trus it, don't drive the route (or walk it)

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #13 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many people think old bridges should be left to rust away? Okay, now that you have the jist of things....

The history: Where I do most of my driving, there was a spurt of bridge development around the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s. Many of these bridges were very bold and done very much in a cobblestone bridge style (1 lane/bridge, maximum, and only as a very last resort).

Today: 25 years later, many of those bridges are starting to get rather manky, and in my opinion are good candidates for replacement.

Anyway, I was talking to a driver from that era the other day, who did quite a bit of cobblestone driving as well, and has what I found to be a rather unique view on whether those bridges should be replaced or not.

He was of the opinion that those bridges are part of the "driving heritage", a bit of the history from that period of development, and should not be replaced. He thinks they should be left to rust away. Basically, for the sake of history, leaving drivers with 3 options:
3) the bridge is not okay or the driver doesn't trust it, don't drive the route (or walk it)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweet! Thanks for that! (I fixed a couple of typos in the last line)

rockguide

Jan 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #14 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3) the bolt is not okay or the driver doesn't trus it, don't drive the route (or walk it)
[sarcasm]
Don't rebuild the bridges. By allowing death trap bridges we give drivers a chance to build judgement and encourage a higher standard of driving. Standards must improve!

Sure the bridges were fine for the original crossers, but with modern SUVs we can cross bridges that they could not.
[/sarcasm]
Brian

sbaclimber

Jan 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #15 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sure the bridges were fine for the original crossers, but with modern SUVs we can cross bridges that they could not.
Actually, that is very similar to one of the reasons the person in question gave for not replacing the old bolts :shock:

markd

Jan 23, 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #16 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if it's ok for the fa party to place a bolt to protect themselves, it's certainly ok for that bolt to be replaced when it's no longer is good.

rockguide

Jan 23, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #17 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Actually, that is very similar to one of the reasons the person in question gave for not replacing the old bolts :shock:

yes, I know.

I was being sarcastic and doing a parody.

I forgot the [parody][/parody] tags.

Html is so complex :lol:

drkayak

Jan 24, 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #18 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Heritage bolts on Granite Trad climbs that are not really needed any more? I know several old climbs that have a single bolt next to a crack at a belay. Not doubt on the FA the crack was so dirty/grassy that drilling a bolt was quicker or safer than extensive cleaning of the crack. Now, 20 years later, the crack takes cams fine.

Replace? Chop? Or Leave it alone?

Take into account the route maps all show the belay as having one bolt. Also consider that the local “Bolt Police” are more likely to chop a new 3/8” bolt next to a crack than an old ¼” relic.

drkayak

Jan 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #19 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about Heritage bolts on Granite Trad climbs that are not really needed any more? I know several old climbs that have a single bolt next to a crack at a belay. No doubt on the FA the crack was so dirty/grassy that drilling a bolt was quicker or safer than extensive cleaning of the crack. Now, 20 years later, the crack takes cams fine.

Take into account the route maps all show the belay as having one bolt. Also consider that the local “Bolt Police” are more likely to chop a new 3/8” bolt next to a crack than an old ¼” relic.

veganboyjosh

Jan 24, 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #20 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about Heritage bolts on Granite Trad climbs that are not really needed any more? I know several old climbs that have a single bolt next to a crack at a belay. Not doubt on the FA the crack was so dirty/grassy that drilling a bolt was quicker or safer than extensive cleaning of the crack. Now, 20 years later, the crack takes cams fine.

that's a good question.

i'd say leave it in, until it breaks, and then don't replace it. hopefully whoever breaks it is not climbing on it, and knows better than to...

slavetogravity

Jan 24, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #21 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting Fact

In Squamish the Squamish Chief is in a Provincial Park. A few years ago BC parks went and wrote up a management plan that recognised rockclimbing as a legitimate recreational opportunity in the Park.
Part of BC Parks mandate is to recognize and protect places and things with historical significance.
In the management plan three things where recognized as being historically significant.
1. the memorial placs on memorial ledge on the top of the Apron.

2. The statue engraved in the boulder on the Chief Trail.

3. The Baldwen/Cooper bolt ladder on the Grand Wall.

So there you have it. "Heritage bolts" recognized, and therefore protected by BC Parks.

No one uses this bolt ladder, but it's recognition as a historical sight is cool if you ask me.

sbaclimber

Jan 24, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #22 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So there you have it. "Heritage bolts" recognized, and therefore protected by BC Parks.
Very interesting! I take it they have restricted this to the one bolt ladder only though.

sbaclimber

Jan 24, 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #23 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Very interesting! I take it they have restricted this to the one bolt ladder only though.

mesomorf

Jan 24, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #24 of 34 (10047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...I've seen climbs that were tainted if not ruined by the ASCA.

Not to start a flame war or anything.

In the absence of specific route names, this statement is indeed incendiary.

mesomorf

Jan 24, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #25 of 34 (9734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with all you say, pmyche.

I don't know story behind these wall routes.

A fellow climber here in Reno (who's a lot more familiar with the aid climbs of Yosemite than I am) feels that aid bolts shouldn't be replaced with sport climbing fatties. I agree with that too.

But, speaking for myself, I'm glad to see the Zodiac ladder get straightened out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook