Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

korntera

Feb 20, 2006, 7:44 AM
Post #1 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Which is the best way to lose weight?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Should I run 4 miles in 40 minutes or should I walk 4 miles in 1 hour.
When running my heart rate it around 150-160 and when walking it is around 130. I am 22 years old. I have read that walking is better to loose fat and running is better for getting in shape.

Its just time to loose weight because the people that I climb with are all much less inch per inch.
Climbing partner #1 5'10" 165
Climbing partner #2 6'3" 200
Me 5'11" 193
Although strength wise I can keep up with them I feel like I will start getting huge gains and passing them If I can loose 10-20 lbs (and trust me, I am that fat right now, I once was 170 at my current height)

sonus

Feb 20, 2006, 8:00 AM
Post #2 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which is the best way to loose weight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should look up Jay's excellent post on dieting in general (I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Just search "diet" or something).

----

I too would be interested in any educated responses to this topic. I'm currently 6' 2", 222 lbs. +/- 3 lbs. I'm 21 years old.

I've been running at around an 8 minute pace for 20-30 minutes every other day, getting to the climbing gym twice a week, and doing various strength training wherever and whenever possible. I'm also trying really hard to minimize sugar intake (I'm a sucker for sweets), and staying away from generally fatty foods. Although I've gotten stronger, both in terms of reps and max weight when lifting, and in climbing, I haven't lost any weight. I don't believe I've gained any real muscle mass either - i.e., I don't 'look' any better. I have a gut and lovehandles that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm pretty sure that a more rigorous diet would help me achieve my goals. I just wonder why when I was sitting on my ass doing nothing, I didn't gain any weight, and why when I'm dieting and exercising, I'm not losing any.

korntera

Feb 20, 2006, 8:04 AM
Post #3 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which is the best way to lose weight? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really dont' trust jays advice (if by jay you mean JT512) because the last time he posted in one of my threads in the training forum he plainly could not read, he called me a n00b because I had only been climbing a year and said that I was a gym rat that climbs v1 and said I was an idiot because thats what he read in my profile (which hasn't been updated in about a year) I now climb 5.11, don't have a clue what I boulder but have done V3's and have done lots of multipitch trad. So for his rudeness I don't trust him, plus he can't read since I posted that I can do that and that I have been climbing for 2+ years yet he reads my profile and tears me apart.

overlord

Feb 20, 2006, 8:30 AM
Post #4 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I really dont' trust jays advice (if by jay you mean JT512) because the last time he posted in one of my threads in the training forum he plainly could not read, he called me a n00b because I had only been climbing a year and said that I was a gym rat that climbs v1 and said I was an idiot because thats what he read in my profile (which hasn't been updated in about a year) I now climb 5.11, don't have a clue what I boulder but have done V3's and have done lots of multipitch trad. So for his rudeness I don't trust him, plus he can't read since I posted that I can do that and that I have been climbing for 2+ years yet he reads my profile and tears me apart.

youll have to realize two things...

a) even though some users are occasionally rude, they do offer excelent advice and are sometimes even really (as in formal education not just practical experience) qualified to give it:

In reply to:
I am a graduate-trained nutritional epidemiologist. What that means is that I am trained in the design, analysis, and interpretation of nutritional research studies with human subjects. I've read a good deal of the research on weight loss and am currently working on a paper on the effects of certain diets on body weight for eventual publication. I am also a climber, who, when he decided 4 years ago to get serious about sport climbing, lost 20 lbs.

b) even if youve been climbing for 2 years youre still a noob. in fact, i consider myself only slightly better than noob after 5 years.

Partner tyify

Feb 20, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #5 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you do start running watch your knees. From a cross country runners standpoint if you have extra weight on your body your knees are going to feel it.

korntera

Feb 20, 2006, 9:03 AM
Post #6 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not so much that he called me a n00b and in the whole scheme of things I guess I am. But what I was most mad about was him misconstruing everything I said. I told the facts and then he blatantly ignores them and reads my old outdated profile and then bash's me for it. Not cool.

korntera

Feb 20, 2006, 9:05 AM
Post #7 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not so much that he called me a n00b and in the whole scheme of things I guess I am. But what I was most mad about was him misconstruing everything I said. I told the facts and then he blatantly ignores them and reads my old outdated profile and then bash's me for it. Not cool.

In the end, all I am saying is that I want advice from somebody but him.

ty yeah I was thinking about the knees thing too. I don't want to wear them out and have no need to be fast and I heard that a lower heart rate (around 130) is best for fat loss and 150+ is good for aerobic conditioning.

daithi

Feb 20, 2006, 9:12 AM
Post #8 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I really dont' trust jays advice ...because the last time he posted in one of my threads in the training forum.... he called me a n00b because I had only been climbing a year .....So for his rudeness I don't trust him....

Please tell me you're joking! If not toughen up a bit! You can't really pick and choose advice depending on how nice the person is to you!

In reply to:
I now climb 5.11, don't have a clue what I boulder but have done V3's and have done lots of multipitch trad.....

Just pray he doesn't find you again! :D

alleyehave

Feb 20, 2006, 9:49 AM
Post #9 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weight loss is a much simpler concept that than the average American makes it out to be.

More calories consumed than burned = Increase in weight.
Less calories consumed than burned = Decrease in weight.
Same calories consumed as burned = Sustained weight.

Less calories consumed with increased exercise(i.e. increased cardiovascular demand) = Rapid decrease in weight.

End of story, next thread.

tommez

Feb 20, 2006, 9:54 AM
Post #10 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't trust him, plus he can't read
Can you read? Have you seen the sticky on top of this page "how to loose weight to improve my climbing"

overlord

Feb 20, 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #11 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Can you read? Have you seen the sticky on top of this page "how to loose weight to improve my climbing"

the problem is that the user that made the sticky is jt512

http://img78.echo.cx/...75/ohthedrama4vi.gif

tomma

Feb 20, 2006, 1:14 PM
Post #12 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

running is definitely much better for weight loss than walking (or anything else)
as you will simply burn more calories, and that's what it is about..

go to runnersworld.com, there is plenty of information there on weight loss,
and in the latest issue (link from the main page) there is an article comparing running and walking, so you will get a direct answer to your question..

Partner heiko

Feb 20, 2006, 1:37 PM
Post #13 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Losing weight is fairly easy if you really want it... :lol:

But seriously... if you're 193 pounds at the moment, this will require a permanent change of life-style, all right!? (Except if the 193 are pure muscle-mass and you're Schwarzenegger's son) It's nothing you do in a week and then stop doing it because you think you succeeded.

- change your diet to low carbs, low fat, in favour of salad, veggies, white meat and all that healthy stuff that has no sex-appeal at all when looking at it lying on your plate. STICK with your new diet. LOVE your new diet. Start having a DIET FETISH. Become the ZEN MASTER of diets. But DON'T OVERDO IT. ;)

- say no! to sugar, except if she's a babe ;)

- start running/cycling/swimming/... AFAIK fat starts getting burnt after 30 mins of aerobic exercise (please correct me). Whatever you do, don't trash you knees by starting out too quickly. Listen to your knees!!! I trashed my knee a couple of years ago (no doctor could really find a damage, though), and it took me almost two years of frustration and very slow progress until I could finally go hiking again for more than 2 hours or walk off a climb without severe pain.

- motivate someone else to help you with motivation. Losing weight on your own will be very hard.

Good luck,
H.

sausalito

Feb 20, 2006, 1:41 PM
Post #14 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no secret. Figure out about how many calories you burn by running and how many calories you burn by walking. You may also want to look into short (5 minute) cardio excercises like jumping rope and then push ups or some other weight excercise.

consume less calories than you burn off = weight loss. There are many means to the same ends but you want to make sure you are increasing your calorie burning more than you are simply cutting calories. I found that drinking an ensure for breakfast helped me maintain my weight really well. Keep a food diary as well. It is a reality check since most people underestimate calories taken in....

dutyje

Feb 20, 2006, 2:25 PM
Post #15 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Korntera has summoned Jay to this thread with the ultimate troll. In my opinion, at 2+ years, you're still a n00b. Welcome to my world. Believing you're not a n00b can be very dangerous.

As far as Jay's advice, he's probably one of the most qualified to speak on this subject. Sure, he's a jackass and he's rude, but that doesn't mean he's an idiot. Sure, he's opinionated, but he's capable of formulating an intelligent argument. Sure, he'll follow your posts around for a few days hoping to find an opportunity to call out your inadequacies, but don't hate him for being an obsessive-compulsive egomaniac with no social skills. :P

Anyway, enough razzing Jay. The right thing to do here is browse the threads within Technique & Training. This topic has been covered before. You could always PM one of the resident experts for a bit of friendly advice as well. Just don't get offended if it comes across as a little rude. Appreciate the quality of the content.

zenelky

Feb 20, 2006, 2:38 PM
Post #16 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no diet expert, but standing at 5'2"...I learned a while ago that my weight (although I'm not OVERweight) was holding me back. Never had knee problems so I started running, then suddenly had knee problems :shock: (I'm 22, so it's not an age thing I'm aware of). This is what I found worked best to burn the calories...

When I go to the work-out gym, I do 30-35 minutes cardio and rotate machines. Eliptical, bicycle, inclinded bicycle, stairmaster, ect. I had to learn what pushed myself on each, and keep track of it. On those machines, they usually have those nice little heart rate gauges where you can input age, weight, ect to give you an accurate calorie count and heart rate. Rotating through the machines helps me avoid overworking certain muscles or straining those that are weak (which I now know are my knees).

Good luck, it's a lifestyle change that you'll become addicted to.

sul-pont
Deleted

Feb 20, 2006, 2:47 PM
Post #17 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For fat burning, you want long, easier aerobic exercise (heart rate about 130-150 for someone your age). Fat burning starts at about 40 min after beginning exercise so you will want to take it slow and steady. This aerobic exercise is best done first thing in the morning before breakfast: as I understand it, because your body is already in fat burning mode and has no digesting food from which to burn calories, you will burn fat more immediately. Running, swimming, x-c skiing, snowshoeing, rowing, etc. all work fine.

As far as diet is concerned, there is a lot more information at the top of this forum than I could possibly give but PM me if you'd like to know a few tips that have worked for me.

In reply to:
- change your diet to low carbs

I disagree. If you are doing exercise regularly, you need carbohydrates for energy (I injest about 60% of my daily intake of calories as carbs). Best if these carbs come from whole foods (complex carbohydrates) rather than from processed sources. Otherwise, I think Heiko gives good advice.

arrow

Feb 20, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #18 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The original poster's question was whether he should do 40min of cardio with a heart rate of 150-160 or 60min of cardio at a heart rate of 130. If someone knows the answer to this I'd love to know too. But from what I've read a minimum 50% heart rate increase for a longer time yields greater results AND my understanding is that there is not a huge gain doing the 150 cardio over the 130 cardio. Your heart rate for walking sounds high unless you are at quite an incline. Perhaps you're just starting on this regimen? Keep at it and you'll build your stamina and increase your workout times. Can any experts chime in here?

sul-pont
Deleted

Feb 20, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #19 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The original poster's question was whether he should do 40min of cardio with a heart rate of 150-160 or 60min of cardio at a heart rate of 130. If someone knows the answer to this I'd love to know too.

60 min @ 130 bpm. See above.

tommez

Feb 20, 2006, 3:54 PM
Post #20 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

the problem is that the user that made the sticky is jt512

http://img78.echo.cx/...75/ohthedrama4vi.gif

OMG! :lol:

arrow

Feb 20, 2006, 4:07 PM
Post #21 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks sul....I was typing while you were posting

fng

Feb 20, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #22 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off is diet. You have to burn more than you take in. Try to eat 10 calories per pond of what you want to weigh. If you want to be at 180 pounds then take in 1800 calories an so on.

Next is intake. Try to go healthy but I cheat all the time and I lost a lot of weight(60 lbs) because it is all about the calories. What ever your numbers are you need to eat every 2.5-3 hrs hours(I try to do 100-300 calories every 3 hrs). This will keep you metabolism up and keep your body from going into the start of kinda like a starvation mode at around 4-5 hrs. Try to eat right when you get up and right before you go to bed. This will minimize the time with out food in your stomach(it really helps to eat healthy). It will be hard at first but after five days, you intestinal stomach begins to shrink(from what I'm told) and you don't have the desire to eat a huge meal. A banana, granola bar, or a piece of cheese wrapped around a couple slices of ham will hold to your next meal. If you eat every 3 hrs you will not be hungry and you metabolism will go up. You have to watch the calories though. If you drink a coke you are already 120 calories in. Go for the diet and use use the calories on solid food that will fill . My motto is "don't eat to be full, eat to not be hungry."

As far as working out, you want to do all sort of working out. Running is good because it will build muscle which burns calories. But if you keep your heart rate up longer that is better. Anything over 20 minutes you start to burn fat. Caffeine actually helps you burn fat fast. Drink a glass of iced tea with the caffeine 20 minutes before you work out.

If you have an hr, then run your 4 miles then walk the last 20 minutes. During the walk stop and do sets of push ups, sit ups, pull ups, or what ever else you can think of. Personally I like running and cycling. But you never want to do the same work out all the time. You want to change your work out all the time to keep shocking your body.

One day you might do the 4 mile run. Another the hr walk. The you might run 1 mile then walk a half then run a mile then walk. When I do this, I switch from running hard to jogging every telephone pole. Also there is always something you can do to elevate your heart rate during the day. The more times you can get your heart rate up during the day the better.

Optimum would be every couple of hrs do something to elevate you heart rate as well as working out. Do a quick set of 50 push ups and/or fifty sit ups. I have an office where I can do this(when I feel like it). I also have a dumbbell under my desk and also use it. Be creative. Sit down, stand up 50 times real fast or do jumping jacks. What ever you can do. It only takes a minute or two to raise you heart rate and your heart rate will stay elevated for 5-10 minutes slowly returning to your resting rate.

krusher4

Feb 20, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #23 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Liquid diet and eat lots of caffeine pills, you will loose all the weight you want in a few weeks.

climbsomething

Feb 20, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #24 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahahaha. You're funny, kid. Ahh, the n00bris of youth.

Jay may be snarky, but he is neither fat nor clueless.

sul-pont
Deleted

Feb 20, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #25 of 39 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks sul....I was typing while you were posting

Glad I could be of help!

I agree with you that the OP's walking heartrate of 130 seems pretty high. May not mean anything, I know a distance runner who hits up to 210 at sub-maximal exertion and she seems to be OK (doctor told her not to worry).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook